Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

do Chinese automakers have any talent or do they just steal designs?????

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-09, 07:22 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts
Default do Chinese automakers have any talent or do they just steal designs?????

I just saw this Chinese audi R8 rip off. I think its hilarious. I am sure Audi is not happy with this design

Somehow, we managed to miss China's first-ever hybrid sports car at the Shanghai Motor Show earlier this year. Known as the S11 from Tong Jian – which incidentally also seems to be the name of a popular Chinese figure skater – this hybrid sports car looks production ready. Details on the coupe's powertrain are extremely scarce, but China Car Times reports that all four wheels are powered in some manner, presumably through a combination of electric motors and internal combustion.

It's obvious that the S11's designers have looked to the Audi R8 and any number of recent Ferraris for design inspiration, both inside and out. As far as we can tell, the resulting mashup isn't all that bad – minus the one-size-too-small alloys and those awkward Audi-esque blades on either side.

If CCT's sources are correct, design work on the Tong Jian S11 has been completed and the hybrid sports car is headed for production at an unknown plant in Changchun city in short order.
Attached Thumbnails do Chinese automakers have any talent or do they just steal designs?????-chinese-s11-sportscar2.jpg  
Old 06-30-09, 12:50 AM
felixsc300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nope, no talent whatsoever.
Old 06-30-09, 01:48 AM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

R8 and G35 wanna be
Old 06-30-09, 07:25 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Communism at it's best.

Everyone shares everything. Even design.
Old 06-30-09, 07:35 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 771 Likes on 539 Posts

They might have talent, but stealing designs is a lot easier...
Old 06-30-09, 07:39 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Communism at it's best.

Everyone shares everything. Even design.
china is more and more communism in name only, they have more economic freedoms than the US.

Watch in 20 years, the same thing will happen to China what Hyundai did to the US
Old 06-30-09, 09:31 AM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
Watch in 20 years, the same thing will happen to China what Hyundai did to the US
Exactly.

You gotta start from somewhere and the Chinese automakers are doing exactly just that. Give them another 20 years they'll make Hyundai today looks like nothing...

We can laugh at them just for fun but it'll be foolish to ignore them just because they are copy cats.
Old 06-30-09, 10:06 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,461 Likes on 1,614 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
china is more and more communism in name only, they have more economic freedoms than the US.

we're getting more communist here, and china's getting more free market. who'lda thunk it.

but unless china cracks down on intellectual property theft and patent infringement, it will have anarchy.
Old 06-30-09, 10:19 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by ffpowerLN
Exactly.

You gotta start from somewhere and the Chinese automakers are doing exactly just that. Give them another 20 years they'll make Hyundai today looks like nothing...

We can laugh at them just for fun but it'll be foolish to ignore them just because they are copy cats.
I remember as recently as the '60's when "Made in Japan" was synonymous with cheap rip-off junk. The early Honda 600 was a joke that literally fell apart on American roads. It seems that it was designed as an urban vehicle in Japan, but importers didn't understand what a three-hour drone at highway speeds could do to this underachieving little tin box. To their great credit, Honda learned from the experience and produced the CVCC, a credible economy car. From there, with few exceptions, things only got better.

I would be concerned that the sense of enterprise and work ethic is somewhat less in communist China than it was - and is - in Japan. They certainly have the potential, but it remains to be seen whether they have the ability to lead a market sector.
Old 06-30-09, 10:25 AM
madmax2k1
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I think the Chinese have the capacity to produce products in huge quantities at the expense of quality and innovation.
Old 06-30-09, 01:01 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by madmax2k1
I think the Chinese have the capacity to produce products in huge quantities at the expense of quality and innovation.
Yes, that's what keeps Walmart shelves full.
Old 06-30-09, 01:36 PM
MI350_55
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bet the exterior is lead-based paint.
Old 06-30-09, 02:00 PM
patrickgs3
Driver

the car is made of female baby skeletons!
Old 06-30-09, 02:33 PM
Amini9
Lexus Test Driver

Chinese electronic makers made the iPone (made up the name, but there is one), why not autos now?
Old 06-30-09, 03:16 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by patrickgs3
the car is made of female baby skeletons!
Im sorry but that made me laugh.

While Chinese automakers do copy pretty blatantly so did the Japanese many times initially. Hell even today they are blasted for "Copying". I look around and German cars surely have copied Japanese cars.

Its part of the game. What is scary to think is China will eventually catch up and they will do it with much much cheaper labor. As car prices continue to escalate imagine 20 years from now getting a V-12 car built like a Benz, looking like a Lexus, handling like a BMW for 30 grand.

Scary thought for automakers, great thought for consumers!

Quick Reply: do Chinese automakers have any talent or do they just steal designs?????