Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Porsche accuses Volkswagen of 'extortion'

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-09, 09:03 PM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Porsche accuses Volkswagen of 'extortion'

Originally Posted by autoblog
orsche maintains it still has its mojo, but Volkswagen is treating the company like Porsche's got lunch money and VW is hungry. VW -- which Porsche effectively owns -- loaned Porsche €700 million ($983.8 million) earlier this year, with Porsche due to pay it back in September. As collateral for the loan Porsche used its wholesale distribution arm Porsche Holding GmbH.

The way things are going for Porsche, it might not be able to make that September repayment. So VW and the state of Lower Saxony made an offer: Porsche has until the end of June to accept an offer by VW to pay €3 to €4 billion ($4.2 billion to $5.6 billion) for a 49% Porsche's car business. If Porsche doesn't accept, then VW will "insist" Porsche repay the full amount of the loan in September. If Porsche can't come up with the coin VW could walk away with Porsche Holding GmbH.

Porsche, plucky as ever, didn't want to hear about any of that, saying "Ultimatums do not belong in the 21st century.... We hope very much in the interest of the common goals that the authors of the ultimatum regain their calm..." The crew at VW quickly issued a response, with one spokesperson simply saying, "There is no ultimatum."

Porsche has plenty of time to sort things out, and its investment talks with Qatar, which would greatly help its debt situation, are said to "have entered the final stretch." Thanks for the tip, C. Halen
http://www.autoblog.com/2009/06/29/v...-accept-extor/
Old 06-29-09, 09:10 PM
LexFather

This VW vs Porsche sitcom/day soap is getting worse as is these constant press releases. REminds me of the Acura V-8/Tier 1 unicorn press releases they finally stopped.

Old 06-29-09, 09:16 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

lol @ "Ultimatums do not belong in the 21st century..."

You bet they do if the guy holding all your money gives you one.
Old 06-29-09, 09:41 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Corporate spats, the lawyers are licking their chops.....
Old 06-29-09, 09:57 PM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

Wait...

Why do we care about VW/Porsche's family business?

This is like a big brother puts out a press release saying that his kid brother owes him 50 bucks... Hey guess what? I don't give a crap.
Old 06-29-09, 10:02 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Corporate spats, the lawyers are licking their chops.....
lawyers are counting the hours.....their bills must be immense for this ongoing saga

Old 06-29-09, 10:15 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ffpowerLN
Wait...

This is like a big brother puts out a press release saying that his kid brother owes him 50 bucks... Hey guess what? I don't give a crap.
Ditto...file this under who give's a rat's azz?
Old 06-30-09, 11:53 AM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ffpowerLN
Wait...

wait....

why did you waste time writing this post then? Hey guess what? It seems you do care?

This is a CAR forum, we discuss ALL MANUFACTURES, I don't select articles that fffpower himself would want to see. Jesus.
Old 06-30-09, 12:05 PM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Porsche: bla bla bla.....
VW:f/u pay me....
Old 06-30-09, 12:21 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
This VW vs Porsche sitcom/day soap is getting worse as is these constant press releases. REminds me of the Acura V-8/Tier 1 unicorn/NSX press releases they finally stopped.
Corrected

Anyway, how embarassing to have drama like this play out on an international stage.
Old 06-30-09, 01:41 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

VW -- which Porsche effectively owns -- loaned Porsche €700 million ($983.8 million) earlier this year,
The way things are going for Porsche, it might not be able to make that September repayment. So VW and the state of Lower Saxony made an offer: Porsche has until the end of June to accept an offer by VW to pay €3 to €4 billion ($4.2 billion to $5.6 billion) for a 49% Porsche's car business. If Porsche doesn't accept, then VW will "insist" Porsche repay the full amount of the loan in September.
I'm not quite sure I see where one car company can make a "loan", requiring "repayment", to another firm it already owns.....or has a major stake in. It's like your heart pumping blood throughout your body...the blood goes from arteries to veins, but remains within the same body.
Old 06-30-09, 02:20 PM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I'm not quite sure I see where one car company can make a "loan", requiring "repayment", to another firm it already owns.....or has a major stake in. It's like your heart pumping blood throughout your body...the blood goes from arteries to veins, but remains within the same body.
It's like a mother borrowed her jobless son two grands and he is still living in her house, can she ask for the money back? You could say these two grands still stay in the same family, but not in the same person's hands. Now mother had a pact with the son when she borrowed him the cash that he needs to move out of her house if he can't pay her back on time, it turns out that the son might not be able to pay back and mommy offers him another choice that he needs to find a job if he can't pay her back on time and still wants to stay with her, and the son yells "EXTORTION".
Old 06-30-09, 03:13 PM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by FKL
wait....

why did you waste time writing this post then? Hey guess what? It seems you do care?
Because I was bored and this is good entertainment?