Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

thoughts on the NSX

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-09, 10:27 AM
SilverBull
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default thoughts on the NSX

I was just on NSXprime.com and reading a good thread. One of the talks was about the price of the cars and why they don't sell that fast. What I want to know from people here(I respect your opinions a little more) is what is it that people like about the NSX and what is it that people don't like about it?

One of my beefs is from 91-2005 they really didn't upgrade a hell of a lot. Besides putting in a 6 speed gearbox, targa roof, and a 3.2L engine V6 there were not huge changes over the years. In 1991 I considered it a marvel of engineering. In 2005 it was more a classic Japanese sports car that was still available. The car lacked power in the later years.
Old 06-30-09, 11:07 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

just another note i remember reading somewhere that the headlight change was performance related as well. the reduction of weight up front improves the handling of the car

regardless, personally i think the nsx is a fantastic car that i have no problem owning one. it's pure perforamnce, love the styling (love the newer style more) and the biggest advantage is that the car is bullet proof, reliable, and relatively easy to maintain

i do have a bit problem that more or less the same car from 91 till 05, but personally i can overlook that coz' the styling is still sick in 05 imho, and the performance is still way up there even in 05 (with those minor improvements)

on the "power", well, i look at the nsx like looking at the s2k. yeah with today's standard the car is "lacking power" on paper. but if you keep it higher rev and know how to drive it, that car is a beast

now my personally "problem" with the car, if any, is the interior. somehow i think the interior look quite dated for a 2005. it just doesn't look modern enough to me like the exterior.

price wise, imho, the nsx is unbelievable in holding price. of course the first few yrs the depreciation hit is there, but afterward the price of the car just stay very solid around the 30-40k mark. to certain extend, it made me hesitate a bit back in 03 when i was thinking about getting one, coz' i'd be paying 30k for a 7-8 yr old car. but if you think about it, if you get a clean one for 50k, you can drive it for a few yrs and probably not lose too much
Old 06-30-09, 11:22 AM
SilverBull
Advanced

The interior is a bit dated. I remember that as well. the Honda interior is a somewhat bland. The S2000 is worse though. The digital Tach is pretty distracting. The interior is the same basically from a 2005 to a 1991 in so many ways. They could have used to supercharge the engine. That would have been perfect. The SC'd 3.2L is a nice car with linear power. The weight balance stays the same. A turbo is faster but the handling suffers a bit with the powerband and weight change.
Old 06-30-09, 11:27 AM
huddleston
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 13 Posts

gorgeous cars. i hope to own one someday. they still look great decades later.
Old 06-30-09, 11:59 AM
P Weezy
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by huddleston
gorgeous cars. i hope to own one someday. they still look great decades later.
+1. It is and always will be my dream car.
Old 06-30-09, 01:00 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

love the car, my only complaint was the left foot well space was way too cramped for a tall guy like me.
Old 06-30-09, 01:16 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 35 Posts

Friend of mine has a black 1991 NSX that I get to drive around once in a while. It's a blast! Love how it can do 80+mph in second gear! My only real gripe is the lack of power steering.
Old 06-30-09, 01:26 PM
SilverBull
Advanced

They added power steering in 1995 I believe or 1996. The NA2 model NSX(1997 and beyond) was a big change for them. They added several colors, power steering, targa roof, 3.2L engine with 290hp instead of 270hp, and a 6 speed gearbox. The car was also stiffened up a lot for the Targa roof flexing it up. If you are going to buy one go with 91, 97 or 2002 for the best years. Those each have something distinct in the design for them. 2002 has the new front end with fixed headlights.
Old 06-30-09, 02:35 PM
Mbenz528i
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love the NSX and considered one just before I bought my RR, which was just before I found out I had twins.

Pros: Great styling, excellent reliability, timeless styling.

Cons: It feels cramped for me (6'4") and for the years I want (97-on) I would rather have a 996 Porsche.
Old 06-30-09, 03:11 PM
LexFather

Whats funny to me is people complain about the NSX not changing much but the 911 didn't change much for 30 years and people butt hump it like its name is Meagan Fox. Double standard? I think so....
Though to Porsche's credit they certainly did more to keep the 911 fresh, the NSX simply didn't get as much attention, especially in regards to power.

Personally I think its the greatest Honda they ever will make and its one of the greatest cars ever made. It was studied by Gordan Murray for the F1. It had feedback from the late great Ayrton Senna. It was the brainchild of people at Honda when Honda used to try to build the best vehicles in the world and ones that were not so ugly you want to commit suicide seeing them parked or passing. The NSX styling is classic.

Whats funny is if this thing was badged a Porsche or Lotus NSX, it would continue to sell over and over. Sadly the badge, Honda/Acura just doesn't get it done, no one wants to own expensive Honda/Acuras. So as the price went from 60k to 90k sales dwindled.

We also didn't get the NSX-R, a car so gotdamn good, it won EVO Car of the year in 2003.
http://rednsx.org/articles/evo200301.html

THE RESULTS
1st Honda NSX-R 93.5
2nd Porsche 911 C4S 92.9
3rd Ferrari 575M 'Fiorano' 88.6
4th Mercedes SL55 AMG 86.9
5th Lotus Elise 111S 85.1
6th Mini Cooper S 84.9
7th Mitsubishi Evo VII FQ-300 82.7
8th Nissan 350Z 81.8
9th Renault Sport Clio Cup 81.3
10th Jaguar XKR-R 79.7
11th Subaru Impreza STi PPP 78.4
12th Ford Focus RS 76.0

We live in an age where every gotdamn car is getting heavier, more complicated, with more power. Some of these cars power is UNUSABLE, they just smoke tires and you can't punch it out the corner without killing yourself. Every review asks for a car that goes back to the basics, that does more with less, that is engaging, is lightweight, simple.

They are asking for the NSX.

Old 06-30-09, 03:41 PM
pvmike1
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

I remember you were shopping for one for awhile.

Check out this thread: http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=123132
Old 06-30-09, 03:45 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by pvmike1
I remember you were shopping for one for awhile.

Check out this thread: http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=123132
That was a good read...

You are right, great memory, here is my thread.....

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...9-a-month.html

I heart the NSX!!

Old 06-30-09, 05:04 PM
madmax2k1
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Incredible car that was built with the "less is more" philosophy, similar to what Colin Chapman preached when heading Lotus.

Sadly, It did not sell well because of the Honda/Acura badge.
Old 06-30-09, 06:38 PM
Solo_D33A
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my beef on the NSX is that I can't find any info if the car needed any rust proofing on the underside at all.....
Old 06-30-09, 08:07 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Solo_D33A
my beef on the NSX is that I can't find any info if the car needed any rust proofing on the underside at all.....
I don't think it needs any. Mine didn't have any. On NSXPrime there are a few members that drive their NSX in the snow with snow tires as well. I don't recall them having any corrosion problems.

Quick Reply: thoughts on the NSX