Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MT: 2010 SRX vs. RX 350

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-09, 12:28 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would have been more interested to see the Cadillac equipped using the 2.8L turbo w/ 300+ hp rather than the base engine, and also with the magnetic ride control suspension, possibly with something smaller than 20" wheels. That would have helped dramatically in the power, acceleration, fuel economy (relative to power) and ride quality scenarios while doing nothing but improving the driving experience. The SRX definitely had room left in its MSRP to fit all of the above and more in and still be comparable to the RX.

To all of you crying foul... this is not news... magazines prefer exciting vehicles that are fun to drive.

And aside from all of that the SRX is a car offering much of what the RX does for considerably less money. It's not a bad choice, though I have to say I think I'd probably go with the RX because if I buy a luxury SUV I'm not going to plan on driving it hard... my priorities are reliability, quality, and comfort of of which the RX is most likely >= SRX.
Old 06-30-09, 12:33 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ffpowerLN
Good lord, the SRX has NOTHING on the RX350 except braking but goes home winning the comparo...
Yeah, why even break it down like this if it apparently doesn't matter. I smell bias.
Old 06-30-09, 12:33 PM
Lets Drive
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
Which brings us to the turning point of this comparison, the Perry Mason moment. Remember how Mason could suddenly wear down a witness and get him/her to confess to the murder? How his grateful client would be quickly, cleanly exonerated?

The Cadillac SRX is more fun and rewarding to drive.
Whats [not] funny about the 'fun to drive' comments, is that the vast majority of consumers don't consider driving a 'fun' activity, period. They view driving as a tedious, but convenient, means of getting between point A and B, and also as a time to do a lot of other things (often unsafe), besides focusing on driving...much less doing so with even an afterthought of 'fun'.

Hopefully, Lexus continues down their own path, making vehicles which appeal to different tastes. I'd be damned if I one day had to look at a Lexus 3-series, or a Lexus X-5, in the strict sense of performance oriented driving dynamics, as an 'alternative' to the competition.

Under most daily driving considerations, the road-feel, steering, and competence are more than up for the task of handling traffic and non-track abuse. The qualities are specifically designed to isolate the driver from the road, and many consumers consider this a great thing...and thusly speak with their wallets. Obviously, the level of compromise varies by individual, and some of these magazines simply give the impression that they haven't yet grasped this.
Old 06-30-09, 12:58 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I've test driven the new RX & it drives like a hovercraft. Great vehicle for those with a "we", "our", "us" in the household. Not so great for the single male who enjoys driving.. It is a boring drive. Like them or not, Car & Driver is about the connection between Car & Driver .. The RX does not exhibit such a connection. I am not into mags.. Instead, I go out & drive cars. I love driving, thus my choice for getting the more expensive X3. I have to check out this SRX.
Old 06-30-09, 01:28 PM
RX300-BV
Lead Lap

I personally think it's a good move by Cadillac to go after the mid-sized luxury crossover segment but with a different formula. Do any of you really think any of the other luxury makes are going to out cush, out refine, essentially, out Lexus, the RX in this segment? The SRX will be an alternative to those who perhaps need the utility of a mid-sized crossover, but prefer better driving dynamics.

Think Audi, Cadillac, Infiniti, and BMW owners. Some will see the Q5, X3, and EX as too small. Some will find the Q7 and X5 too large or too expensive. The FX is also limited in size and utility along with having a polarizing exterior. The SRX looks like a good fit for these owners.
Old 06-30-09, 01:38 PM
Lets Drive
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
Like them or not, Car & Driver is about the connection between Car & Driver .. The RX does not exhibit such a connection.
Agreed, but then how much value can one extract from featuring vehicles, obviously not meant for catering to drivers interests?

I think in reading these types of articles, the bias undermines the value of the article, where the author can certainly compare vehicles on merits they were designed for. To then attach negative connotation to features/design which met the intentions of the engineers, and then buying public, is a bit presumptuous.

In a nutshell, even for enthusiast or drivers, these reviews mean very little. ‘Beating’ a par-for-the-course Lexus in feel and feedback just isn’t saying much, and seems like a waste of ink.
Old 06-30-09, 01:47 PM
SilverBull
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a 2008 RX350. I have to agree about how numb the steering and drive is. I didn't buy it for that reason though. It is my family car with my kids in the back. Now, if I bought one or myself it would not be the car I would buy.
Old 06-30-09, 01:52 PM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by RX300-BV
I personally think it's a good move by Cadillac to go after the mid-sized luxury crossover segment but with a different formula. Do any of you really think any of the other luxury makes are going to out cush, out refine, essentially, out Lexus, the RX in this segment? The SRX will be an alternative to those who perhaps need the utility of a mid-sized crossover, but prefer better driving dynamics.

Think Audi, Cadillac, Infiniti, and BMW owners. Some will see the Q5, X3, and EX as too small. Some will find the Q7 and X5 too large or too expensive. The FX is also limited in size and utility along with having a polarizing exterior. The SRX looks like a good fit for these owners.

Excellent points.
Old 06-30-09, 02:05 PM
LexFather

This is another fine example of the complete POS writing our American mags are. They are worth nothing but paper to start the fireplace with. This conclusion makes NO SENSE!!!
Originally Posted by MPLexus301
Not to mention that the numbers would lead you to a very different conclusion:

...............................2010 Cadillac SRX.............................2010 Lexus RX 350

Power (SAE net)........... 265 hp @ 6950 rpm.................. 275 hp @ 6200 rpm

Torque (SAE net) ......... 223 lb-ft @ 5100 rpm.............. 257 lb-ft @ 4700 rpm

Weight to power............. 17.3 lb/hp................................ 16.2 lb/hp

Cargo vol behind f/r.......... 61.2/29.2 cu ft..................... 80.3/40.0 cu ft

0-60.............................. 8.6........................................... 6.7

Passing, 45-65 mph.............. 4.5 sec.................................. 3.5

Quarter mile................. 16.8 sec @ 83.9 mph................ 15.1 sec @ 91.0 mph

Braking, 60-0 mph.............. 119 ft............................... 131 ft

MT obs fuel econ..................... 15.8 mpg.............................. 18.3 mpg
The RX is 2 seconds faster, has better passing power and gets better economy WTF? What ****ing performance is MT talking about?
Originally Posted by DustinV
Interesting. Anyone else think this review reeked of bias?

The Lexus RX performs better and is more efficient - and yet it lost out because of fun-factor and dynamics? I've not touched a Motor Trend magazine in ages but I hear they're going down the drain.

I'm sure the Lexus has competent driving dynamics. Nothing extremely sporty but probably not as soft as most magazines describe it to be. I don't doubt that the Cadillac SRX is sportier and the better handler, but does it really matter in this niche? I don't think so. These are family-oriented cars and my money says that the vast majority of buyers won't "overdo" it when it comes to handling and driving in a sporty manor.
Good points. Anyone buying SUVs for better driving dynamics probably also buys a Whooper over a Big Mac b/c the Whooper is grilled so it must be healthier?

Good lord, the SRX has NOTHING on the RX350 except braking but goes home winning the comparo...

I've been saying this before, MT is desparate to sell its magazines and they'll, and have been, put out whacky comparo results just for that...

I can probably, PROBABLY, understand that driving experience outweighs everything else if we are talking about a sports car (not even sports sedan) here but a luxury crossover? Who gives the **** about that!
Yup, more MT junk. Hey MT, some of us won't even consider a Government Motors car or your crappy mag.

Originally Posted by pagemaster
You can tell which vehicle is the better engineered vehicle. Except for braking RX350 wins hands down....also because the vehicle beats the Cadillac in the all important MPG issue.

Bias? YES
Bingo

Originally Posted by SilverBull
I have a 2008 RX350. I have to agree about how numb the steering and drive is. I didn't buy it for that reason though. It is my family car with my kids in the back. Now, if I bought one or myself it would not be the car I would buy.
You bought it b/c you are a man/woman that has some sense and doesn't need to prove to other people that you need a sporty SUV, which is akin to saying you like Swine Flu.

I've test driven the new RX & it drives like a hovercraft. Great vehicle for those with a "we", "our", "us" in the household. Not so great for the single male who enjoys driving.. It is a boring drive. Like them or not, Car & Driver is about the connection between Car & Driver .. The RX does not exhibit such a connection. I am not into mags.. Instead, I go out & drive cars. I love driving, thus my choice for getting the more expensive X3. I have to check out this SRX.
1. This review is actually from MT, not C&D
2. Everyone and their momma copied the RX in this segment and tries to outsell it but cant.
3. The single male that enjoys driving that buys a SUV to fulfill that need clearly is mentally challanged. They are SUVs, for utility, not for driving sporty. Thats what a wagon is for, that is what a MAN would drive if we are going to go "there".
4. The RX establishes a connection with its driver over comfort, ease and making life easy. Not trying to be something its not intended to be.
5. The X3 is not very sporty and has not much utility and only newer models with revisions fixed some of the problems. Its basically been called by every major publication the worst BMW ever built and sold. If you like it, good for you. Its sporty done completely wrong.

Last edited by LexFather; 06-30-09 at 02:10 PM.

Old 06-30-09, 02:25 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Shinobi-X
Agreed, but then how much value can one extract from featuring vehicles, obviously not meant for catering to drivers interests?

I think in reading these types of articles, the bias undermines the value of the article, where the author can certainly compare vehicles on merits they were designed for. To then attach negative connotation to features/design which met the intentions of the engineers, and then buying public, is a bit presumptuous.

In a nutshell, even for enthusiast or drivers, these reviews mean very little. ‘Beating’ a par-for-the-course Lexus in feel and feedback just isn’t saying much, and seems like a waste of ink.
I agree with what you are saying. I think that they write these types of articles and incite this type of drama just to sell magazines- it is, afterall, a business. The RX is long considered the benchmark in this class, so if they show the Cadillac toppling it, then that is pretty "controversial" and will warrant a few more pick ups at least.
Old 06-30-09, 03:48 PM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

It seems to me that Motor Trend has recently shifted it's focus to become more enthusiast oriented. To do that, they have to push the "fun-to-drive" and "German road feel" kinds of things even more than Road & Track or Car & Driver. In a recent test, they picked a 328 over the G37 even though the G37 clearly won every measureable test. Why? The non-measureable "feel" of the BMW.

This approach means that there are no longer any car magazines that take the perspective of us, the great mass of people, who don't see the car as a source of fun. The RX350 has hit the sweet spot for a lot of people even if it is boring to drive. It has reasonable utility, reasonably luxurious interior, nice quiet ride, and it is relatively cheap. With equal equipment, the SRX is about the same price as the RX, without the luxury. After the first year, the niche market cars tend to sell poorly while the RX just plods along as a best seller.

Infinity builds a couple of SUV's that are great fun to drive. They now have really nice interiors, but the poor ride keeps them as slow sellers. The SRX will have a tough time beating the FX35 except for appearance.

Steve
Old 06-30-09, 09:23 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

How many (straight) single males who enjoy driving buy something in this class of vehicle?
Old 06-30-09, 09:26 PM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by MR_F1
How many (straight) single males who enjoy driving buy something in this class of vehicle?
Good point and another question is...

Which demography has more population? 1) Single male who enjoys driving that buys SUVs/crossovers or 2) those with a "we", "our", "us" in the household?

It's just funny that all auto editors and SOME PEOPLE HERE all make it sound like the enthusiasts are the majority of the population while the reality couldn't be any further away from that...

Last edited by ffpowerLN; 06-30-09 at 09:30 PM.
Old 06-30-09, 10:36 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

It's just funny that all auto editors and SOME PEOPLE HERE all make it sound like the enthusiasts are the majority of the population while the reality couldn't be any further away from that...
No doubt, but enthusiasts will tend to frequent these forums for sure.
Old 07-01-09, 04:19 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

I think the OP comments had more to do with MT, not Lexus or Cadillac, specifically. For the most part, I agree with him. I lost a lot of respect for MT when the M3 beat out the 911 Turbo.

Quick Reply: MT: 2010 SRX vs. RX 350