Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MT: 2010 SRX vs. RX 350

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-09, 04:54 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by MR_F1
How many (straight) single males who enjoy driving buy something in this class of vehicle?
A great number of them do. But some still live at home with moms & would not understand.. Someone should pose this question to the members of http://www.xbimmers.com/forums/. I am sure they will get a kick out of it.. Instead of magazine humping, some of you should take the time out and drive some vehicles..
Old 07-01-09, 04:59 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How many (straight) single males who enjoy driving buy something in this class of vehicle?
I've said this elsewhere, but I've noticed (being a recent college student) that alot of college males now drive mom's old RX300. It's funny seeing them blasting rap music and being all "gangsta" in the former luxury, soccer mom ride.
Old 07-01-09, 05:43 AM
wmb0000
Pole Position

So the SRX have better drivng dynamic and won the comparo, what is wrong with that? Why is that bias? Does the SUV have to be numb driving?

I bought my RX350 because of it's soft ride and the wife loves it. But for those who can only buy one car/suv in their family. Then some would prefer the soft ride of the lexus, but other would sacrifice alittle and get better handling SUV and maybe get an X5/X3/FX/MDX/Q7/Q5/SRX. I see nothing wrong with that.
Old 07-01-09, 06:09 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

The RX has no soul, that’s the problem, A SUV can be comfortable and fun to drive at the same time. Horsepower and gas mileage have never been a problem with Lexus, it’s the suspension and the steering, only the over 65 owner can appreciate the Lexus suspension and the steering . Other younger Lexus buy it for its reliability and quality, but motor trend is not JD power or consumer report, they do not care about reliability and quality. That’s why the RX lost to the Caddy.
Old 07-01-09, 06:29 AM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
I've said this elsewhere, but I've noticed (being a recent college student) that alot of college males now drive mom's old RX300. It's funny seeing them blasting rap music and being all "gangsta" in the former luxury, soccer mom ride.
I have no beef with that, because I used to drive both my parents vehicles when I still lived at home, and in fact still do when I visit. However, driving mom's vehicle, does not constitute BUYING it from a dealer. Just saying.....

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
A great number of them do. But some still live at home with moms & would not understand.. Someone should pose this question to the members of http://www.xbimmers.com/forums/. I am sure they will get a kick out of it.. Instead of magazine humping, some of you should take the time out and drive some vehicles..
I have driven the X3. I fail to see the correlation. SUV does not = sporty driving, and anyone buying one for that SPECIFIC purpose, needs to get there head checked. Poweful and competent, fine. Sports car like.....
Old 07-01-09, 07:09 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I have driven the X3. I fail to see the correlation. SUV does not = sporty driving, and anyone buying one for that SPECIFIC purpose, needs to get there head checked. Poweful and competent, fine. Sports car like.....
You drove the X3 huh? So what do you think? Did you have to hang on for dear life in the corners? How was the steering & braking? Suv does not equal sporty driving.. Maybe in the Lexus/Toyota world, but you truly need to drive the Porshe Cayenne (GTS, Turbo), Mercedes ML AMG, and the like to be amazed.. This vehicle below is quicker around the ring than an e46 M3.. There are 400+ hp cars that are not as quick as the e46, yet a sporty suv is.. Drive themmmm & put the mags down.. Let me get my head checked on this vehicle below..

Holy cow a 180mph speedo?
What is it doing in an suv?

Carbon fiber, sport seats, paddle shifters 555hp Got damn!
Who in their right mind would buy such a thing? The Brady Bunch?
Old 07-01-09, 07:26 AM
LexusChris
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't think the SRX sales are going to take a sudden surge because it won against the RX 350. People will still buy an RX 350, heck I see at least two everyday and it's increasing here in NYC. I'll take an X5 over both if I was in the market however.
Old 07-01-09, 08:33 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
You drove the X3 huh? So what do you think? Did you have to hang on for dear life in the corners? How was the steering & braking? Suv does not equal sporty driving.. Maybe in the Lexus/Toyota world, but you truly need to drive the Porshe Cayenne (GTS, Turbo), Mercedes ML AMG, and the like to be amazed.. This vehicle below is quicker around the ring than an e46 M3.. There are 400+ hp cars that are not as quick as the e46, yet a sporty suv is.. Drive themmmm & put the mags down.. Let me get my head checked on this vehicle below..

Holy cow a 180mph speedo?
What is it doing in an suv?

Carbon fiber, sport seats, paddle shifters 555hp Got damn!
Who in their right mind would buy such a thing? The Brady Bunch?
WTF does a spec built X6M have to do with this thread outside of your usual BMW leg humping? What on earth does this vehicle have anything to do with this thread?

Originally Posted by The G Man
The RX has no soul, that’s the problem, A SUV can be comfortable and fun to drive at the same time. Horsepower and gas mileage have never been a problem with Lexus, it’s the suspension and the steering, only the over 65 owner can appreciate the Lexus suspension and the steering . Other younger Lexus buy it for its reliability and quality, but motor trend is not JD power or consumer report, they do not care about reliability and quality. That’s why the RX lost to the Caddy.
I'll take a souless appliance that is BY FAR quicker than the soulful one. We are talking a solid 2 second difference in performance. In other words the 2010 SRX accelerates like a 1999 RX 300. If you buy a SUV to take some corners and b/c its sportier with less utility you need medicine prescribed. I have gotten NO pleasure driving any SUV fast or in corners if it was meant to be built for it or not. Its utterly stupid. Do some of them defy physics? Yes. I also don't want to eat test tube hamburgers!!!! I want the REAL thing! Saying a SUV is soulful is saying I can make SPAM taste just as good as a nice Ribeye.

Old 07-01-09, 09:34 AM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Only in the US we can get into a discussion about how SUVs/crossovers can be fun to drive and excellent at corners...

THAT's WHAT THE WAGONS ARE FOR!

Yeah thanks BMW for introducing the X5M and X6M to us while what you should've done is bring over the M5 wagon and make a M3 wagon...
Old 07-01-09, 10:30 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

While SUV usually do not drive as sporty as a sport sedan, that line is being cross more ane more often by a new generation of crossover SUVs. If you are comparing a SUV to the handling of a M3, then of course it will not handle like that, but a lot of these high performance SUV now a days handles better than your average sport sedans that are on the market now.
Old 07-01-09, 12:23 PM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

The thing is with the RX the platform is there for an vehicle that could exhibit some feedback and maybe a few ounces of "fun". I mean, they already stated that it has enough grip, Lexus just continues to fail in the steering department. If they weighted it up and added more feel and retooled the suspension, the RX itself is not impossible to feel at the very least competent, if not sporty. Why they cannot do this is beyond me. I've seen all sorts of excuses why heavy steering is a bad thing (it's too heavy, I get tired, etc.), but the reality is there's nothing nice about feather light, weightless travel that has no feedback whatsoever. In fact, it can be downright scary when you are actually pushing a car, the steering wheel moving from side to side on center with all kinds of slop and no movement of the wheels at all. Just because this is an SUV, I don't think it's "too much to ask" for steering feedback, nor is it in some realm called "sporty", just driving feedback that at the very least has the driver feeling somewhat connected to the wheels in front.

As far as not being able to criticize a vehicle because "that's how the engineers designed it" - well suffice to say I am puzzled by this statement. Is every single negative aspect of a vehicle off the table for discussion because the person doing the criticizing "doesn't know what the engineers intended"? What if I don't LIKE what the engineers "intended" (in this case, poor road manners)? And really, most of what "engineers intend" also double as selling points. If the poor road manners of the RX are "intended and built in", why doesn't Lexus make a big fuss over them in their marketing message? BMW CLEARLY markets the performance they build into their vehicles? The answer is that it's nothing to be wielding in the face of the press, it's not impressive, and you don't trumpet things that are clearly negative aspects, which is what the dynamic range of the RX seemingly equates to.

Last edited by FKL; 07-01-09 at 12:31 PM.
Old 07-01-09, 12:30 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

RX is a soccer mom car, and very successful at it, I would think most women drivers do not prefer underboosted/more"sporty" steering. Most would prefer a more relaxed and easy kind of driving.
Sportiness DOES NOT equate superiority or inferiority, it's a PREFERENCE, and each vehicle is designed to cater to their target market.
Old 07-01-09, 12:44 PM
Sandi_k
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Has anybody driven the 2010RX with the additional Sports Package that allegedly *does* refine the suspension tuning for a more sporty feel?

Sandi
Old 07-01-09, 12:54 PM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
RX is a soccer mom car, and very successful at it, I would think most women drivers do not prefer underboosted/more"sporty" steering. Most would prefer a more relaxed and easy kind of driving.
Sportiness DOES NOT equate superiority or inferiority, it's a PREFERENCE, and each vehicle is designed to cater to their target market.
BINGO!!

Sometimes the so-called enthusiasts need to pull their heads out of their you-know-what once a while to see that there are other people out there who have difference PREFERENCE about cars...

How would you feel if someone calls your girlfriend/wife "fat" when you actually like women with umm... big bones?

I also prefer a sportier and better reponse handling however there are times I truly wish my car can ride softer so I don't have to feel every pot holes on the road. I've had the ES350 and RX350/400h as loaners and although that's not the kind of car I would want to drive everyday but I can see why there are people, make it A LOT of people, who like them. They tend to make you forget that you are driving a car, more like sitting in your living room sofa with a nice stereo system and guess what? SOME PEOPLE LIKE THAT.

To conclude I think that it's good to have different opinions in a discussion because that makes it more interesting but stating something like:

"but the reality is there's nothing nice about feather light, weightless travel that has no feedback whatsoever."

Is just plain dumb.
Old 07-01-09, 01:04 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

I have an RX 350 loaner right now and wanted to repost my reply from there into this thread:

Driving this car has made me wonder how Motor Trend and Car & Driver have deemed the handling and steering to be dead, lifeless, and practically on life support.

Let me clarify something:

In terms of driving dynamics, there is a marked difference between "sporty" and "athletic", and things like "confident", "willing", and "capable". The latter adjectives are not synonymous with things like "dead" or "lifeless" either.

The RX feels very solid, very confident and capable, and extremely willing. Willing to be thrown through a mountain pass like an IS F? No. Willing to tackle your average mountain road with ease, composure, and no drama? Definitely. Even more willing and capable of carrying you, your kids, and your stuff around on a daily basis in luxury and serenity.

I feel like there is this mindset among the automotive press and enthusiasts that if a vehicle does not communicate what is happening at every crack and imperfection of the pavement then it must inherently be DEAD and LIFELESS and a LAND YACHT that is WORTHLESS. Not so. Cars can be set up to drive and handle any different number of ways, and just because it doesn't talk to you like Miss Cleo does NOT mean it's not worthy of production.

Personally...I prefer something that is solid, balanced, composed, confident and smooth. That is how most Lexus products drive, obviously, so that is probably the reason that I am a part of this forum. The new RX is no exception.

Quick Reply: MT: 2010 SRX vs. RX 350