Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Luxury Institute Japan Survey: Best Luxury Brands 1) Mercedes 2) Porsche 3) Lexus

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-09, 04:23 PM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
Have you ever thought of the possibility that Mercedes-Benz is acrtaully a better car the Lexus, the MB does cost more, but you get what you pay for.
No, it never crossed my mind... But until you can understand the mindset of people here in regards to "foriegn" cars I feel this conversation is pointless.

I have my resevations about a Benz being a better car, my brother in Law has had quite a few 11 to be exact) and although there are some goods ones in there, most of them don't like aging past 3-4 years, after that your wallet better be thick and you should not mind driving a beat up 10 year car as you loaner as this will ultimately end up being you daily driver. But that is just my experience with benz and I don't want to get into a benz V's Lexus fight.
Old 07-02-09, 07:03 AM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When your average Japanese is asked about what comes to mind when they hear the word "luxury car", it is definitely Mercedes. I think the history of Mercedes is somewhat ingrained in the Japanese public. They might not know everything and the specific details but they know enough to see that Mercedes has it all: history, tradition, heritage, motorsport, innovation, safety and so forth. The bottom line is that Mercedes is a fascinating brand.

Lexus just pales in comparison to this rich history filled with so many achievements. That much is clear. I think Lexus scored well because it is essentially a Japanese brand (patriotism) and because they offer a reliable product, for relatively little money and good service too. And also, because I suppose owners were enthusiastic about the treatment and the product.

I've been to Japan before on vacation several times and I have many Japanese friends with whom I keep in touch on an on-off basis. They are car-crazy but I wouldn't call them fanatics. I've noticed that on the subject of European luxury, Mercedes and BMW really excite them. It's almost as if these brands have an emotional effect on people. Not sure how they'd perceive Lexus but I can fire away an email sometime and ask, because I am curious about this, too.

Also, an interesting aspect of Mercedes in Japan is that the Japanese royalty used their products such as the 1931 770K Grosser Mercedes (pictured below). Hirohito actually owned two of them according to the information plaque in the Mercedes-Benz museum.

Let's not forget that not everyone has had bad experiences with their Mercedes. If I remember correctly the W211 E class is rated as electronically unreliable, right? I've never had problems with mine. None. I've always brought the car in for a scheduled service and I liked the way I was treated. I'm not much of a coffee drinker so I actually had to decline their offer for coffee on numerous occasions. So, if I were asked to participate in this survey I would naturally give the car, the brand and the service high marks.

I've never quite viewed Porsche as a luxury brand. Porsches are expensive but they aim to provide a sporty experience, not really luxury.
Old 07-02-09, 08:05 AM
LexFather

^ I think we are all aware Benz has been around 100 years and Lexus in Japan 3 years. What Andrew has stated is very correct as I know many import/domestic owners in the same boat. They complain about what is wrong with the car or they never seem to drive the car but their other cars or a loaner as its always broken. However they can NEVER see themselves in a Lexus or any other brand that is now German/Caddy. They will just put up with the problems b/c the pride of ownership is so great for them, they live with it.

That is their choice clearly in the end they are happy with their purchase and it makes them feel good.

Old 07-02-09, 10:38 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave600hL
No, it never crossed my mind... But until you can understand the mindset of people here in regards to "foriegn" cars I feel this conversation is pointless.

I have my resevations about a Benz being a better car, my brother in Law has had quite a few 11 to be exact) and although there are some goods ones in there, most of them don't like aging past 3-4 years, after that your wallet better be thick and you should not mind driving a beat up 10 year car as you loaner as this will ultimately end up being you daily driver. But that is just my experience with benz and I don't want to get into a benz V's Lexus fight.
Just becuase a car is higher maintenenace, it does not mean that it is not a better car.
Old 07-02-09, 11:39 AM
denut-L
Lexus Test Driver

People get brainwashed into buying a car.

Mercedes..WOW
Lexus...WOW
BMW...WOW

Look at me i'm rich ....Oh really! So what **** YOU!
Old 07-02-09, 01:18 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by denut-L

Look at me i'm rich ....Oh really! So what **** YOU!
It's more convenient than being poor., but I'm not sure how any of that is related to topic.
Old 07-02-09, 03:31 PM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

There's no denying the rich history behind Mercedes, no matter how bad it was last decade ago.

Originally Posted by IS-SV
It's more convenient than being poor., but I'm not sure how any of that is related to topic.
nah, there are times when driving is beater is good.
Who cares about door ding? As a matter of fact, who cares if you ding someone else's car
Old 07-02-09, 04:57 PM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by The G Man
Just becuase a car is higher maintenenace, it does not mean that it is not a better car.
Look, that argument could be used anywhere, this is my opinion and anyone has one, but the overall package is what makes a car a good car. So you can't not include the fact that after a few years the rattles, electronic failures and so on will be there. Even after a few years of driving, I find that a lexus still feels tight where as a benz in most cases does not (I am not going to say all).

I know this may not have anything to do with cars, but I have never seen a country so infatuated with brand names. Every man(woman) and his dog has a Louis Viton bag/purse/wallet. I see people who clearly cannot afford a bag like that with them just b/c of the brand name factor. It is just the way it is here, it does not bother me, but I am just stating what I see.

It is very similar in regards to a benz and I don't care who you are, there are better cars than a used 15 year old C class for the same money today. And that goes for other cars of similar age. That is what I am saying.
Old 07-02-09, 10:46 PM
blessed
Driver School Candidate

They will have their work cut out for them in getting past Benz, for some reason a benz ,no matter how old or much of a peice of crap it is they are worshipped here. It is just a status symbol, pure and simple.

And their service is horrible here compared to Lexus, I walked in to dealership when I was looking at the C63 and they did not want anything to do with me. I asked them if I could see a C63 and they gave me a pamplet, said they didn't have one as they are too hard to get hold of at that time and basically sent me on my way. Now this is the part I don't like, I filled out a questionair with my name and address on it while I was there, and what do you know, they found out what I did for a living and now they are making regular trips to my work place and home telling me of evey new model or deal they have comming out. Talk about an attitude change. Anyway ,thats my experience.
It depends on where you go I went to one with my hair uncut it was a mini afro and dressed in sweats and tennis shoes and everyone in there spoke to me and they let me test drive an GL 450 by my self. It depends on where you go. I am sure you can find a Lexus dealer with people with horrible attitudes that work there.
Old 07-02-09, 10:52 PM
blessed
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
I have known a few Mercedes owners who complain a lot about their Mercedes, think they should be better than the other brands but are not, but still end up buying another one for their next purchase
I think Benz had a bad run from after 1999 until 2006. Now you cannot touch Benz 2007 up until now are great cars.
Old 07-02-09, 11:49 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I still wouldnt gamble my money. I want to see them , or any car company, beat Lexus 3 years in a row then I will buy a Mercedes
Old 07-03-09, 12:41 AM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by blessed
It depends on where you go I went to one with my hair uncut it was a mini afro and dressed in sweats and tennis shoes and everyone in there spoke to me and they let me test drive an GL 450 by my self. It depends on where you go. I am sure you can find a Lexus dealer with people with horrible attitudes that work there.
In Japan or the States?
Old 07-03-09, 09:58 AM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

To each their own opinion but Lexus and "vault-like" have been used in many reviews. Also "isolation chamber" is more of a critique that has also been similarly applied.

It's definitely interesting to see a young brand like Lexus on the Luxury Institute Japan list next to older companies like Prada, Louis Vuitton, etc.

I know this may not have anything to do with cars, but I have never seen a country so infatuated with brand names. Every man(woman) and his dog has a Louis Viton bag/purse/wallet. I see people who clearly cannot afford a bag like that with them just b/c of the brand name factor. It is just the way it is here, it does not bother me, but I am just stating what I see.
Absolutely, when I visited Tokyo's Ginza district it was amazing how many brand name stores there were, and often they were the largest branch of their respective companies. Japanese consumers love their high-end brands.
Old 07-04-09, 12:59 AM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

my point is this, it's not ONLY Japan that rates Mercedes Higher than Lexus in these types of surveys. I've seen several surveys that rank the brands, and Porsche and MB always tops the list, so ALL I'm saying is this survey is not thing new or out of the ordinary..http://uk.reuters.com/article/idUK14...009+MW20090430
Old 07-04-09, 04:04 PM
LexFather

COnsidering Benz has been around 100 years and has tons more offerings, especially higher end ones and they feed/market heritage like its going out of style, i would HOPE they finish higher than Lexus many times.

Aren't they SUPPOSED to? For Lexus to be 3rd after only 20 years in teh world and hell 3 years in Japan is nothing short of remarkable.

Quick Reply: Luxury Institute Japan Survey: Best Luxury Brands 1) Mercedes 2) Porsche 3) Lexus