Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Luxury Institute Japan Survey: Best Luxury Brands 1) Mercedes 2) Porsche 3) Lexus

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-09, 04:15 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Luxury Institute Japan Survey: Best Luxury Brands 1) Mercedes 2) Porsche 3) Lexus

This is the counterpart to the U.S. survey, whose results were discussed here:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...s-3-lexus.html

Luxury Institute Survey: Japanese High Net-Worth Consumers Rank the "Best of the Best" Luxury Brands in Six Categories

NEW YORK, NY--(Marketwire - June 4, 2009) - The Luxury Institute reported today the results of the "Best of the Best" luxury brands in Japan based on the 2009 Luxury Brand Status Index (LBSI) survey, which identifies the top brands that deliver true luxury based solely on the unbiased ratings of wealthy Japanese consumers. The following six luxury categories were rated: Women's Fashion (29 brands), Women's Shoes (18 brands), Handbags (30 brands), Men's Fashion (22 brands), Men's Shoes (18 brands) and Automobiles (20 brands).

The LBSI asks high net-worth consumers to rate luxury brands by category across four equally weighted components: Consistently Superior Quality, Uniqueness and Exclusivity, Making the Customer Feel Special Across the Entire Experience and Being Consumed by People Who Are Admired and Respected.

Which luxury providers deliver the best combination of quality, exclusivity, customer experience and peer prestige in Japan?

The "Best of the Best" are: (LBSI score out of 10)

-- Automobiles
-- Mercedes-Benz - 7.47
-- Porsche - 7.21
-- Lexus - 6.99
http://www.marketwire.com/press-rele...te-999406.html

In recent months, Lexus has passed Audi to become the #3 selling luxury brand in Japan, behind MB and BMW.
Old 06-30-09, 04:21 PM
LexFather

Wow, Lexus is making SERIOUS SERIOUS inroads in Japan, kudos to them!! Thanks for the article

Old 06-30-09, 04:43 PM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

audi and BMW are making some SERIOUS inroads in N. America.
Old 06-30-09, 04:55 PM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They will have their work cut out for them in getting past Benz, for some reason a benz ,no matter how old or much of a peice of crap it is they are worshipped here. It is just a status symbol, pure and simple.

And their service is horrible here compared to Lexus, I walked in to dealership when I was looking at the C63 and they did not want anything to do with me. I asked them if I could see a C63 and they gave me a pamplet, said they didn't have one as they are too hard to get hold of at that time and basically sent me on my way. Now this is the part I don't like, I filled out a questionair with my name and address on it while I was there, and what do you know, they found out what I did for a living and now they are making regular trips to my work place and home telling me of evey new model or deal they have comming out. Talk about an attitude change. Anyway ,thats my experience.
Old 06-30-09, 05:04 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good news for Lexus (in Japan).
Old 06-30-09, 05:09 PM
madmax2k1
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I never associated Porsche with luxury. If we were to include sports cars, I think Maserati's are way more luxurious than Porsche's.
Old 06-30-09, 07:17 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by FKL
audi and BMW are making some SERIOUS inroads in N. America.
Sorry but WTF does that have to do with sales in Japan and this article? What exactly?

I love Audis but they can't even sell past Infiniti which has like 2 cars and 3 SUVs. BMW has always had presence in America.

Quit the baiting.

Old 06-30-09, 07:18 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Dave600hL
They will have their work cut out for them in getting past Benz, for some reason a benz ,no matter how old or much of a peice of crap it is they are worshipped here. It is just a status symbol, pure and simple.

And their service is horrible here compared to Lexus, I walked in to dealership when I was looking at the C63 and they did not want anything to do with me. I asked them if I could see a C63 and they gave me a pamplet, said they didn't have one as they are too hard to get hold of at that time and basically sent me on my way. Now this is the part I don't like, I filled out a questionair with my name and address on it while I was there, and what do you know, they found out what I did for a living and now they are making regular trips to my work place and home telling me of evey new model or deal they have comming out. Talk about an attitude change. Anyway ,thats my experience.
Thanks for providing a perspective from Japan.

Old 06-30-09, 07:25 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Benz is ahead of Lexus....but Lexus is far ahead of Porsche
Old 06-30-09, 09:14 PM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

no matter how old or much of a peice of crap it is they are worshipped here. It is just a status symbol, pure and simple.
not just japan, WORLDWIDE! piece of crap huh...

Last edited by KILLERGS4; 06-30-09 at 09:25 PM.
Old 06-30-09, 09:46 PM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

And their service is horrible here compared to Lexus. Anyway ,thats my experience.
i think dealership experience really does vary... but I think this link is fun to check out if you want to know how your local dealerships ranks according to this site...

http://www.dealerrater.com/

Last edited by KILLERGS4; 06-30-09 at 10:03 PM.
Old 07-01-09, 02:29 AM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by KILLERGS4
not just japan, WORLDWIDE! piece of crap huh...
I hope you didn't misunderstand me, I wasn't saying that Benz are a peice of crap, on the contray I was very close to pulling the trigger on a couple of benz in the past. What I was saying that ,even the old beat up benz here are a status symbol and some people would prefer driving a 15 year old ordinary c class than a domestic car. For some reason Japanese people equate foriegn cars with expense.

Originally Posted by KILLERGS4
i think dealership experience really does vary... but I think this link is fun to check out if you want to know how your local dealerships ranks according to this site...

http://www.dealerrater.com/
I have been to a few Benz dealerships and I really don't like their service.
Old 07-01-09, 02:30 AM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Thanks for providing a perspective from Japan.
No problem, as I said earlier, for some reason Japanese people would rather buy a foriegn car than a domestic if they can. I suppose it is the classic case of "the grass is greener" .
Old 07-01-09, 06:20 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

No problem, as I said earlier, for some reason Japanese people would rather buy a foriegn car than a domestic if they can. I suppose it is the classic case of "the grass is greener" .
Have you ever thought of the possibility that Mercedes-Benz is acrtaully a better car the Lexus, the MB does cost more, but you get what you pay for.
Old 07-01-09, 07:12 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 218 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
Have you ever thought of the possibility that Mercedes-Benz is acrtaully a better car the Lexus, the MB does cost more, but you get what you pay for.
I have known a few Mercedes owners who complain a lot about their Mercedes, think they should be better than the other brands but are not, but still end up buying another one for their next purchase

Quick Reply: Luxury Institute Japan Survey: Best Luxury Brands 1) Mercedes 2) Porsche 3) Lexus