Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Volkswagen Ranks Tops In Ownership Experience

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-09, 02:24 AM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Volkswagen Ranks Tops In Ownership Experience

Many of Volkswagen's new vehicles continue to be rated worse-than-average by Consumer Reports in reliability, below the industry average in J.D. Power's annual Initial Quality Survey (the latest just released last week), and near the bottom in post-sales service, as gauged by Power's latest annual Customer Service Index (CSI).

Yet, as the latest Total Quality Index from Strategic Vision suggests, Volkswagen owners are among the happiest with the ownership experience. VW placed at the top of the 2009 TQI rankings, along with Ford.

Across the various segments that Strategic Vision breaks models into, Volkswagen had the greatest number of model leaders, for quality of the entire ownership experience, than any other brand—including Jetta, New Beetle, Rabbit, and the new 2009 Tiguan and 2009 CC.

Ford only had one segment leader, the Focus, but the automaker posted a high overall score. Also today, AutoPacific placed Ford at the top among mainstream brands in its Ideal Vehicle Awards. Last year the Michigan automaker tied with Toyota for Strategic Vision's top TQI spot, and the firm noted the automaker's comeback in quality, and brand equity.

GM actually had four segment leaders: Pontiac G8, GMC Envoy, GMC Yukon XL, and Chevrolet Corvette. Its Saturn and Pontiac brands—both no longer part of the automaker's future-product plan—were tied for having the best TQI scores in their price segment.

The new 2009 Dodge Ram was another noteworthy high achiever in the 2009 TQI—earning the highest score of any truck over the 15-year history of the study, along with kudos for its interior and storage capability.

The Total Quality Index is different than most other metrics as it has buyers rate all aspects of the ownership experience, rather than counting specific problems at the vehicle or dealership level. "In today's difficult market, the difference between products that generate consideration, build brands and increase sales versus those that do not is often how much delight and love the product generates with its customers," said Dr. Darrel Edwards, the firm's chairman, in a release.

Strategic Vision points to MINI as another example of a brand that ranks high in perceived quality despite an above-average level of specific counted problems. In its price category, MINI is the highest-rated brand in TQI, and it's not surprising that MINI was one of two brands to post increase sales at the start of the recession.

The results are calculated from a survey of 20,101 buyers who purchased 2008 or 2009 model-year vehicles in September to December of 2008.

Here are the segment-by-segment winners (with repeat awards marked with an asterisk):

Small Car Ford Focus Sedan
Small Multi-Function (MFV) Volkswagen Rabbit
Medium Car Volkswagen Jetta*
Large Car Nissan Maxima / Pontiac G8
Near-Luxury Car Volkswagen CC / Audi A4 Sedan
Luxury Car Mercedes S-Class*
Small Specialty Coupe Volkswagen New Beetle
Premium Coupe Chevrolet Corvette
Minivan Honda Odyssey*
Entry Utility Volkswagen Tiguan
Medium Crossover Toyota Venza
Medium SUV GMC Envoy / Toyota 4Runner*
Large SUV GMC Yukon XL
Near-Luxury SUV Infiniti FX / Infiniti EX / BMW X3
Luxury SUV Land Rover Range Rover
Standard Pickup Honda Ridgeline*
Large Pickup Dodge Ram
http://blogs.thecarconnection.com/ma...hip-experience
Old 07-01-09, 03:51 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

These surveys can have some consumers in a tizzy. Who is truly #1 ? Which survey should be glorified?
Old 07-01-09, 04:22 AM
lex
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That can't be right. Lexus has to be #1
Old 07-01-09, 06:14 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by lex
That can't be right. Lexus has to be #1
Thats right, if Lexus is not #1, then that survey is unreliable
Old 07-01-09, 06:27 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

FKL, I think you may have missed your calling in life.

Old 07-01-09, 07:46 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
VW spamalot/zealot/salesman
Old 07-01-09, 09:29 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Any survey or study that ranks Volkswagen number one or tops in Ownership Experience definitely cannot be trusted in any way. Volkswagen's are among the worst reliability wise and have some models that have ranked among the most unreliable vehicles you can buy in their segments. The Toureg took number one spot in several rankings as the most unreliable SUV. The Phaeton despite its low number of sales is still ranked as a very unreliable car. My dads coworker had to return a Pheaton just after a few days of ownership because it was a lemon and plagued with so many issues. My ex girlfriends 3 year old Jetta gives her constant problems ever since she bought it new. I don't know anyone nor talked to anyone who has had positive reliability experiences with a Volkswagen but many do still like them despite all the problems.
Old 07-01-09, 09:47 AM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Nah... he's too smart to become a VW salesman here in the US.

Old 07-01-09, 09:55 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Not particularly surprising, IMO. Most of the people I know who own VWs love them and are very loyal to the brand...almost in a cult-ish way.
Old 07-01-09, 10:17 AM
LexFather

Wasn't FKL the one saying surveys are stupid in the JD Powers thread or am I missing something?

I can believe it b/c as stated, VW owners are a very small and hardcore bunch. In reading VWVortex its easy to see that.

Old 07-01-09, 10:34 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by UDel
Any survey or study that ranks Volkswagen number one or tops in Ownership Experience definitely cannot be trusted in any way. Volkswagen's are among the worst reliability wise and have some models that have ranked among the most unreliable vehicles you can buy in their segments. The Toureg took number one spot in several rankings as the most unreliable SUV. The Phaeton despite its low number of sales is still ranked as a very unreliable car. My dads coworker had to return a Pheaton just after a few days of ownership because it was a lemon and plagued with so many issues. My ex girlfriends 3 year old Jetta gives her constant problems ever since she bought it new. I don't know anyone nor talked to anyone who has had positive reliability experiences with a Volkswagen but many do still like them despite all the problems.
An Ferrari is pretty unreliable and it also have many satisfied owners
Old 07-01-09, 10:39 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 225 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
An Ferrari is pretty unreliable and it also have many satisfied owners
They better be, for a car that they pay close to $200k or much more.

Same for RR too, I've known a few RR owners since I was a boy, they have lots of problems with them, but they are almost afraid to say they paid way too much for a car they should be more satisfied with, they should just be happy they can afford them ...
Old 07-01-09, 10:42 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Are Ferraris that unreliable? Or are they just expensive to maintain? I know they aren't Acura NSXs, but they aren't Land Rovers either.
Old 07-01-09, 10:43 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Exactly, and a VW Jetta compare to a Toyota Corolla, the Jetta feels like a Ferrari in that comparision. My point is that not everybody is satified with a reliable boring car.
Old 07-01-09, 12:09 PM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Wasn't FKL the one saying surveys are stupid in the JD Powers thread or am I missing something?
Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
These surveys can have some consumers in a tizzy. Who is truly #1 ? Which survey should be glorified?
Ahh, and the plot thickens.

1SICK, you called it - just shows you how wide spread these so-called "results" are. I wouldn't base any of them in a place called "reality", including the JD Power and CR ones which are nearly unanimously hailed around here (like I said, becuase they like Lexus models - I am still waiting for the revolt when they start ranking them down).

Quick Reply: Volkswagen Ranks Tops In Ownership Experience