Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2011 Mercedes SLK (updated revealed in French vid inside)

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-10, 05:51 PM
knihc2008
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Eh.

The grille is WAY TOO BIG for this car. The front is very aggressive and looks good but it looks like it belongs on a car twice its size. The sides are so very plain, it's like they needed to add that random Z3 vent on the side just to make it somewhat interesting. There are NO lines and NO character on the side at all. And the rear... well it looks exactly like the current SLK. That said, these are frankly terrible pictures (the only one that shows the side of the car in good lighting is obscured by a BUSH) so who knows.

Z4 still wins in my book, especially if this car hasn't grown at all. We own the current gen SLK and it is simply too small for anyone besides my 5'1" mom.
Old 12-03-10, 06:29 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

nose is way too big
Attached Thumbnails 2011 Mercedes SLK (updated revealed in French vid inside)-002.jpeg  

Last edited by dunnojack; 12-03-10 at 07:16 PM.
Old 12-03-10, 07:08 PM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow, car looks great
Old 12-04-10, 02:33 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

looks interesting... i want to see full pics of complete car, they kind of tried not to show back too much. but definetly huge improvement over old model.
Old 12-04-10, 09:47 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Someone was able to save a copy of the commerical
http://www.autojunk.nl/2010/12/new-m...slk-commercial

P.S.
Also check the car that passes by @ 2:00

I think it's the next-gen B class
Old 12-04-10, 06:02 PM
LexFather

I am assuming the stupid Euro pedestrian laws are giving these new BMWs, Audis, Benz's these giant "snouts" for grills? Seriously?

The SLK has always been a car under the radar but I'm happy Benz continues to bring it here and sell it.

Old 12-04-10, 09:14 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Doesnt flow so well. I'd take new sonata over this.
Old 12-04-10, 11:11 PM
LexusMan77
Pole Position

Seems to be following the new CLS design theme. In my opinion, the front looks to busy.
Old 12-05-10, 12:18 AM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

weird commercial...

anyways, car looks good. the rear doesnt look like its changed much, but it definitely has a lot of SLS in its dna
Old 01-12-11, 08:46 PM
LexFather

New Mercedes SLK revealed

Thursday, January 13, 2011

* More Pics
* Email
* Print

Your say

Comments: 3 Join the discussion

Mercedes has issued official details of its new SLK, following the car’s accidental unveiling on a French-language video late last year.

Set to make its debut at Merc’s 125th birthday celebrations in Stuttgart at the end of this month, the two-seat roadster has a new rear-wheel drive platform, a diesel variant and what engineers claim is a more sporting chassis. It also looks less aggressive than the outgoing model.

See the official pics of the new Mercedes SLK

The new SLK continues to eschew a fabric roof for a reworked version of the old model’s folding hard-top. It now offers the choice of a standard aluminium, fixed-tint glass or electro-magnetic variable-tint glass panel.

Inside, there’s an angular new dashboard, modelled on that of the SLS, with distinctive vents, reworked instruments, more contemporary switchgear and a new range of trims.

Three petrol engines are confirmed for the launch. They include a pair of turbocharged 1.8-litre units, producing 184bhp in the SLK200 and 204bhp in the SLK250. The SLK200 gets a standard six-speed manual gearbox and has a claimed 0-62mph time of 7.0sec.

See the leaked pics of the Mercedes SLK

Topping the launch line-up will be the SLK350, which features Mercedes’ new V6. The 3.5-litre direct-injection engine kicks out the same 306bhp as the unit it replaces in the SLK line-up. But in combination with a standard seven-speed automatic and a number of fuel-saving features, including stop-start, it offers vastly improved performance and economy. The SLK350 has a claimed 0-62mph time of 5.6sec and a combined 39.8mpg.

The new SLK is also set to offer a diesel engine: a twin-turbo, 2.1-litre four-pot with 204bhp. A replacement for the SLK55 is also destined for the UK by the end of the year. It will use a normally aspirated version of AMG’s new 5.5-litre V8, producing close to 420bhp.
http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsAr...llCars/254855/

Old 01-12-11, 10:28 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Looks great inside and out, definitely the best-looking SLK yet IMO! One of the best Benz designs out there. I can't believe it, but that just might be my FAVORITE Benz interior out of all current models .
Old 01-12-11, 10:43 PM
pvmike1
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

The grill looks like an older Dodge grill (i.e. Charger) from the front and a pig snout from the side:

Old 01-12-11, 10:59 PM
LexusMan77
Pole Position

Looks like oversized tail lights from a Porsche 911.
Old 01-12-11, 11:00 PM
knihc2008
Lexus Champion

Wow this is probably the worst Benz design I've seen in a while. Where do I start?

Front: The nose is WAY TOO BIG. It looks droopy and not sporty at all. It almost looks like a truck. I'm just really not a big fan of the AMG packages on these new cars; the sides look like they're from the 80's. Completely square intakes. Far too chunky. The side has zero definition or interest besides an air vent that frankly looks like an afterthought. The designers seem like they didnt' know what they were going for because the front of the car is super chunky and square while the rear haunch has an almost Jaguar-like feminine haunch to it. Random and half baked. The rear haunch looks like a melted down version of the gorgeous shoulders from a Jaguar XK. And besides, such rounded shoulders don't belong on a car that is so chunky and square. The two halves of this car don't seem like they belong to each other at all... and there is NOTHING in the middle on the sides to bring the two halves together. Just a drab expanse of door. And the rear is just a squatter version of the current design. Not much going on back there.

And the interior is a complete, 100% copy from the SLS AMG. As if the interior of the SLS AMG didn't really look worth its 200k$ asking price, now you can get the exact same interior in a 50k convertible! What a mess

Last edited by knihc2008; 01-12-11 at 11:03 PM.
Old 01-13-11, 12:40 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Miss Piggymobile! Front end is a complete disaster. As mentioned, it's way too upright and truckish. There is nothing sporting about it. The back end should be more upright, but instead it's feminine and soft. Car would look better with the back end as the front and the front end as the back. Also, the retro interior air vents look dated and tired. These should be left in the past, since the industry already retired them decades ago. Really poor showing here with Mercedes.

Quick Reply: 2011 Mercedes SLK (updated revealed in French vid inside)