Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Review: 2010 Mercedes E550

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-09, 06:38 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Speaking of 80's Mercedes, I would love to pick up a 1987 Mercedes 560SEC. What a timeless beautiful car!
Old 07-07-09, 08:02 AM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Check out an S-Class from the late 1980's if you want to see real solidness. The doors, for example, were like bank vaults.

That doesn't really mean much because in those days car companies didn't really make use of light-weight-steel. I'd say the sound and weight of those heavy doors are more of a psychological factor. The weight and the sound that is created when the door is shut makes us feel safe. Purely psychological in my opinion.

I found my W204 C class and my current E class to be very well-made and solid. They use lighter materials and their doors are definitely not as heavy as the W126 S class my father used to drive in the early 1980s. It's just a difference of construction. Modern Mercedes' are safer than their older counterparts because of advances in technology. If I recall correctly part of what made Mercedes' so safe in the past was their use of heavier steel.

I'd go as far as claiming that the current Mercedes products are just as well assembled as those in the past, except with the use of lighter steel and other light-weight-materials in order to keep the weight down. Imagine of Mercedes built cars today like they did in the past with that "heavy metal" - gas mileage would suffer and so would performance.
Old 07-10-09, 09:17 PM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

i like this review...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGleo9EgCYc&NR=1
Old 07-10-09, 09:27 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by DustinV
That doesn't really mean much because in those days car companies didn't really make use of light-weight-steel. I'd say the sound and weight of those heavy doors are more of a psychological factor. The weight and the sound that is created when the door is shut makes us feel safe. Purely psychological in my opinion.

I found my W204 C class and my current E class to be very well-made and solid. They use lighter materials and their doors are definitely not as heavy as the W126 S class my father used to drive in the early 1980s. It's just a difference of construction. Modern Mercedes' are safer than their older counterparts because of advances in technology. If I recall correctly part of what made Mercedes' so safe in the past was their use of heavier steel.

I'd go as far as claiming that the current Mercedes products are just as well assembled as those in the past, except with the use of lighter steel and other light-weight-materials in order to keep the weight down. Imagine of Mercedes built cars today like they did in the past with that "heavy metal" - gas mileage would suffer and so would performance.
Weight control may be one factor, but I suspect that the main reason for the lighter-weight sheet metal today is cost-cutting. And lighter doesn't necessarily mean stronger......look how easy many of today's body panels are dinged and dented.