Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Honda Insight getting terrible reviews in the press

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-09, 02:59 PM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Honda Insight getting terrible reviews in the press

Anyone test drive one? Consumer Reports gave it a 54/100, basically the first Honda they ever gave an F too.

Whats with all the hate, whats so bad about them?

-----------
http://clarkhoward.com
Jul 01, 2009 -- Hyundai earns cheers, Honda Insight gets jeers in new tally
Hyundai is on a roll. Just recently, Clark told you how the Korean automaker was praised by JD Power. Now the August issue of Consumer Reports says the Hyundai Elantra is one of the best and most affordable small wagons/hatchbacks.

Earlier this year, Hyundai started offering buyer's assurance as an incentive. Now their marketing wizs are on to gas. If you buy a new car, they will fill up you at $1.49/gallon for 12 months.

Mind you, the cost of gas is likely headed down, barring unexpected world events or weather patterns…but Clark doesn't think it's going down to $1.49! So Hyundai's offer is very generous.

Meanwhile, Consumer Reports trashes the new hybrid Honda Insight. The vehicle received an overall score of 54, which is the second lowest for any small vehicle. This is perhaps the first time ever that a Honda has gotten a low F from Consumer Reports.

Yet the lowest score of all goes to the Dodge Caliber with a 49.

On the other end of the spectrum, the No. 1 hatchback/station wagon is the Mazda 5, which earned a score of 86. That's right up there with some very expensive luxury vehicles. The Mazda 5 has a street price of around $17,000 with power gizmos included.

But what a stunner for the Insight, which Honda was marketing as an affordable hybrid at around $18,500. The people at Honda must be licking their wounds after having put so much research and resources into the Insight.

Other top picks from Consumer Reports in the small car category include the Volkswagen Rabbit, the Volkswagen Jetta-SE and the 2009 Toyota Prius.

Last edited by toy4two; 07-02-09 at 03:04 PM.
Old 07-02-09, 03:36 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

i have not checked out the car yet, but my friend who is a previous generation insight owner, says the new one is a big dsiappointment (in terms of gas mileage, quality, and driving)
Old 07-02-09, 04:21 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

I had the chance to drive one and I too found it to be very disappointing. Honda half-assed the Insight rushed it into the market too quickly. This is the Insight you'd expect to debut in 2000, not 2009.

For me, there is no reason to get the Insight when the Civic Hybrid looks better and achieves similar fuel economy.
Old 07-02-09, 06:53 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by toy4two
Anyone test drive one?
I did a full review a few months ago.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...a-insight.html

I found good and bad things about it like I do any other car, but I didn't think it worthy of the contempt some people are giving it. It has the usual precise, Swiss-watch Honda assembly quality, but its interior shows strong signs of cost-cutting, and the powertrain is jerkier and less efficient than that of the Toyota Prius.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-02-09 at 06:59 PM.
Old 07-02-09, 07:50 PM
LexFather

Its full of fail.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/dri...cle6294116.ece

Old 07-02-09, 11:31 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

funny because in a magazines i read they ranked the insight over the new prius. Its all subjective. I am just happy that the prius is not the only green Japanese econobox hybrid