Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Mandate Amber Turn Signals for the US

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-09, 07:36 AM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

red lense cover + bright yellow bulb = orange. doesn't it?
Old 07-03-09, 08:04 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

looks like the red out vinyl industry is going to get a stimulus with a law like this
Old 07-03-09, 08:11 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,370 Likes on 1,555 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I respect your opinion here, but, in most cases, having standardization in things like bulbs and turn signals is probably a good thing. One good thing is that most rear taillight bulbs themselves have already been standarized....most cars use a small #1157 GE or Sylvania bulb for those functions. I have replaced a number of them myself.
they FLASH, why do they HAVE to be amber? if i see a flashing red tail light on one side, to me it means they're turning, but hey, what do i know?

i guess the new mustangs are screwed cuz they've gone with the retro sequencing flashing red in the direction of the turn, which i think is awesome.

just more feel good worthless legislation to justify a mostly worthless ngo.
Old 07-03-09, 08:22 AM
LexFather

Some people have figured it out. Even our GS has a clear lens with an amber bulb. The Range Rover has a BEAUTIFUL trick brake/turn signal setup. They pop red for brakes and then one will turn amber for turning. They are awesome.

I do agree somewhat with this mandate but then again asshats don't use their signal anyway so even if they are neon pink, it won't matter.
The HUGE other issue it the large amount of rear lights out of order!!!! Either one works, none work, the rear brake light is broken, its INSANE!!!! The amount of lights not working on cars is just immense.

Old 07-03-09, 08:26 AM
Mr Johnson
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
they FLASH, why do they HAVE to be amber? if i see a flashing red tail light on one side, to me it means they're turning, but hey, what do i know?
[snip]
just more feel good worthless legislation to justify a mostly worthless ngo.
I'm with you. It seems easy enough to figure out. I doubt so many peoples ability to correctly parse statistical data that this number seems like "noise" to me.

So many of these "worthless" rules on the books too.

Wait, why aren't DRLs required?!?
Old 07-03-09, 08:29 AM
Mr Johnson
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Some people have figured it out. Even our GS has a clear lens with an amber bulb. The Range Rover has a BEAUTIFUL trick brake/turn signal setup. They pop red for brakes and then one will turn amber for turning. They are awesome.

I do agree somewhat with this mandate but then again asshats don't use their signal anyway so even if they are neon pink, it won't matter.
I agree on the styling. Unfortunately only *some* have figured it out. Means a larger chance of an increase in ugly rear-ends until more do.

I don't agree with the mandate but as you say it's the cell phone handling, makeup applying, shaving, reading, texting people and the one's not paying any attention at all (umm.... the "asshats") that won't be able to parse the signal no matter how obvious it is (perhaps warning sirens when you step on the brakes?!).
Old 07-03-09, 09:01 AM
bruce van
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with having a mandate for amber turn signals. Seeing yellow instantly means someone is changing lanes. I really dislike the Corvette lights because they are all red. When someone in a Corvette wants to change lanes in front of me, it takes a second to decide whether they are braking or signalling.

Those moments care crucial in averting a collision. Car companies will quickly adapt. Like 1SICKLEX said, there is always the clear cover with the yellow bulb solution.

I like this also because we can get rid of all those cheezy aftermarket Altezzas!
Old 07-03-09, 09:25 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Next, it would be nice if drivers used signals when in traffic.
Amen. It seems to be a dying courtesy. Almost no one signals anymore.
Old 07-03-09, 09:37 AM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i hate people who don't use turn signal on left turn.

i think the amber mandate is a good one.

i can hardly see those red bulb-based turn signals on older GM cars.

need bright amber ones.
Old 07-03-09, 09:53 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dunnojack
i hate people who don't use turn signal on left turn.

i think the amber mandate is a good one.

i can hardly see those red bulb-based turn signals on older GM cars.

need bright amber ones.
I agree the amber lens helps.
Old 07-03-09, 11:45 AM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Though I'm not a proponent of needness and unnecessary regulations, I agree with this one. I was sold on amber turn-signals when we first saw them here in the late 1970's. The Chevy Citation, in 1980, had them only on the upmarket models, essentially offering them as an option.

What is interesting is that my 2006 Outback has amber rear turn signals, but, the year after that, Subaru, without redesigning the vehicle, made a running change in the rear-lens assemblies that removed the amber part and stuck in a clear one. It might (?) have been a couple of cents cheaper to install on each vehicle.

2005-2006 with amber lens:

Later models (with the same bodystyle) and clear lens:

This has more to do with automotive trends than it does with saving a few cents. The industry trend changed around 2005

2004 Tundra

[IMG][[/IMG]
2004 Sequoia

2005 Sequoia
Old 07-03-09, 09:55 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,370 Likes on 1,555 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
The HUGE other issue it the large amount of rear lights out of order!!!! Either one works, none work, the rear brake light is broken, its INSANE!!!! The amount of lights not working on cars is just immense.
really? i honestly don't remember the last time i saw a car with a rear light out. maybe it's cuz we don't have traffic so people don't wear out their brake lights!
Old 07-03-09, 10:01 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

I couldn't care less what color the lense is (all red looks good, I'm also on board with a clear lense. Personally, I don't like the look of the orange lense) my thing is that the blinking light be not red. As someone pointed out earlier on, as the other driver back and to the left or right of the signalling car, you may not initially know if the signalling car is actually signalling or just screwing around with his brakes (especially if there's another car right behing the signalling car and you can only side corner of his car closest to you); those few mili-seconds may make the difference of a collision.
Old 07-03-09, 10:23 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
really? i honestly don't remember the last time i saw a car with a rear light out. maybe it's cuz we don't have traffic so people don't wear out their brake lights!
Its horrific here. I literally take pics of NON braking lights with my iPhone, its that abundant. Paul you got out good, traffic and people's driving has only gotten worse.
Okay now I've downloaded some...just a few examples I've taken. The amount of people not using signals and not using brake lights is pathetic.

A recent story, I'm in my h with my G/F and some gotdamn imbecile in a bright red FX 35 nearly clips me, uses no signal and then cuts me off in a 45 MPH zone with tons of traffic. Its one of the few times I lost my head recently. He then proceeds to do the same to 2 other cars.

I catch up to the guy as he gets stuck at the light, I pull up next to him drop my window and he drops his. I ask "have you lost your rabbit *** mind where the hell did you learn how to drive"? He proceeds to tell me "sorry I didn't see you" and I say "well did you not see those other 2 cars what the hell is wrong with you". The guy proceeds to say sorry again and I roll my window up.

People think they are tough guys in their cars until someone genuine comes around that will whoop their asses and shove their turn signal stalk and entire rear tailights so far up their *** you can touch their ears and their *** will start blinking.
Attached Thumbnails Mandate Amber Turn Signals for the US-wtfasshat.jpg   Mandate Amber Turn Signals for the US-silversurfersmomscar.jpg   Mandate Amber Turn Signals for the US-sigh.jpg   Mandate Amber Turn Signals for the US-sebringasshat.jpg   Mandate Amber Turn Signals for the US-classichondaasshat.jpg  

Last edited by LexFather; 07-03-09 at 10:26 PM.

Old 07-03-09, 10:28 PM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm down for amber bulbs. Just no amber covers, hence why I clear cornered the front of my car and put in chromed amber bulbs. I just wish people would actually use their signals though....

Quick Reply: Mandate Amber Turn Signals for the US