Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Mandate Amber Turn Signals for the US

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-09, 10:53 PM
LexFather

Angry

More examples below. Now I've stated most all brands are affected but I could not help but notice most are Honda/Acura vehicles of the sort...the same with the thread where I posted tons of those asshats double parking for no damn reason.

Getting off that soapbox, people are just RUDE and simply DO NOT consider other drivers. People drive with no lights working, one headlight working, bald tires, poorly maintained cars then want to have their 110hp car in the fast lane while on the cell phone. People don't want to use signals, don't want to be courteous and feel the road is a right!

BRAKE LIGHTS BROKEN AND NOT USING TURN SIGNALS IS #)($)#( DANGEROUS, ESPECIALLY AT NIGHT OR IN THE FOG/RAIN!!!!

Attached Thumbnails Mandate Amber Turn Signals for the US-sigh2.jpg   Mandate Amber Turn Signals for the US-sigh3.jpg   Mandate Amber Turn Signals for the US-sigh4.jpg   Mandate Amber Turn Signals for the US-sigh5.jpg   Mandate Amber Turn Signals for the US-sigh7.jpg  

Last edited by LexFather; 07-03-09 at 10:59 PM.

Old 07-03-09, 11:05 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

While we're on the topic of Honda/Acura and malfunctioning lights: why are so many of the this-gen Civics driving around with their high beams on all the time??? Someone who has been in this gen of Civic please, please, please tell me why. Are the ergonomics just that bad? (and if that's not the reason then there better be a really interesting reaosn why, becaue if not, then it just shows that ... no, I wont say it that way ... let's say that it shows Mike has been right all along about the Honda/Acura driver)
Old 07-03-09, 11:24 PM
Amini9
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Faymester
source: http://www.autoblog.com/2009/07/02/r...-turn-signals/

Faymester's take: YES! DO IT! DO IT NOW!
I can't stand red turn signals, if the asthetics are super important have an amber bulb behind a different color lense (clear / red)
before I used to drive (sat in the passenger side acting like I knew everything) I always hated cars with the red turn signals. Got me really confused.. like what if they are braking wierd.

good to see amber turn signals.
Old 07-04-09, 12:45 AM
felixsc300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I usually prefer amber signals over red, unless they're LEDs. Either way this is a pretty interesting mandate.
Old 07-04-09, 07:29 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Now I've stated most all brands are affected but I could not help but notice most are Honda/Acura vehicles of the sort...

In general, most of the cars I see with burned-out headlights/taillights are European makes, not Honda/Acura products. That goes along with their generally unreliable electronics. VW's seem to be the worst.....a high percentage of them more than a year or two old seem to have wiring/bulb/socket problems. So do a number of Volvos.
Old 07-04-09, 07:47 AM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by eyezack87
I'm down for amber bulbs. Just no amber covers, hence why I clear cornered the front of my car and put in chromed amber bulbs. I just wish people would actually use their signals though....
I am not 100% but I don't believe the bulbs on most new cars are actually amber. I think the rear reflector in the light unit is painted amber to reflect amber the rest is clear
Old 07-04-09, 07:51 AM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

More examples below. Now I've stated most all brands are affected but I could not help but notice most are Honda/Acura vehicles of the sort...the same with the thread where I posted tons of those asshats double parking for no damn reason.

Getting off that soapbox, people are just RUDE and simply DO NOT consider other drivers. People drive with no lights working, one headlight working, bald tires, poorly maintained cars then want to have their 110hp car in the fast lane while on the cell phone. People don't want to use signals, don't want to be courteous and feel the road is a right!

BRAKE LIGHTS BROKEN AND NOT USING TURN SIGNALS IS #)($)#( DANGEROUS, ESPECIALLY AT NIGHT OR IN THE FOG/RAIN!!!!

Not sure about new Toyota/Lexus models but some of the older Lexus models and some select Toyota models would light up a dash light if the rear light bulb burned out. This would be a feature to mandate.

Do you know if your Lexus has this?
Old 07-04-09, 10:42 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall
In general, most of the cars I see with burned-out headlights/taillights are European makes, not Honda/Acura products. That goes along with their generally unreliable electronics. VW's seem to be the worst.....a high percentage of them more than a year or two old seem to have wiring/bulb/socket problems. So do a number of Volvos.
GM trucks (pickups and SUVs) also should be on the list. They have crappy DRLs that are often burned out. Notice how often you see these trucks driving around with only one DRL (white light). GM likes to blame the bulb supplier, instead of taking responsibility and control of their end product.

Mercedes in the dark years (2001 to 2007) of poor reliability had constant troubles with brake light assemblies, but they had a "backup system" so that alternate bulbs would allow minimal brake lighting to still shine.
Old 07-06-09, 07:52 AM
Lets Drive
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by bruce van
I agree with having a mandate for amber turn signals. Seeing yellow instantly means someone is changing lanes. I really dislike the Corvette lights because they are all red. When someone in a Corvette wants to change lanes in front of me, it takes a second to decide whether they are braking or signalling.

Those moments care crucial in averting a collision.
I think in the vast majority of cases, the 3rd brake light helps make the distinction between a turn and an actual braking situation. In the day time, none of the lights are likely to be on, unless signaling, anyway.

I think the bigger problem is people not using their signals, and then the lack of lane discipline in the US. If drivers used their signals within the proper distance specified by the law, you would have more than enough time to notice the blinking light, especially with a safe following distance most should respect. It just gets overly complicated when people don't use signals followed by an insistence to pass on the right or cut people off, constantly, with only brief notification that they are changing lanes...most times while already in the process of turning.

Though I see the logic, amber signals won’t fix either of these.
Old 07-06-09, 08:41 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Its horrific here. I literally take pics of NON braking lights with my iPhone, its that abundant. Paul you got out good, traffic and people's driving has only gotten worse.
Okay now I've downloaded some...just a few examples I've taken. The amount of people not using signals and not using brake lights is pathetic.
No, he doesn't have it good. He lives in Florida where trying to drive over 60mph in the left lane means dodging Q-tips like you're on a slolam course where the cones have highly infectious, air born swine flu.

At least when we aren't in traffic we can drive like a-holes going 80mph in the left lane on the connector
Old 07-06-09, 09:23 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
No, he doesn't have it good. He lives in Florida where trying to drive over 60mph in the left lane means dodging Q-tips like you're on a slolam course where the cones have highly infectious, air born swine flu.

At least when we aren't in traffic we can drive like a-holes going 80mph in the left lane on the connector
Not in his part of Florida

Old 07-06-09, 09:36 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Shinobi-X
I think in the vast majority of cases, the 3rd brake light helps make the distinction between a turn and an actual braking situation. In the day time, none of the lights are likely to be on, unless signaling, anyway.

I think the bigger problem is people not using their signals, and then the lack of lane discipline in the US. If drivers used their signals within the proper distance specified by the law, you would have more than enough time to notice the blinking light, especially with a safe following distance most should respect. It just gets overly complicated when people don't use signals followed by an insistence to pass on the right or cut people off, constantly, with only brief notification that they are changing lanes...most times while already in the process of turning.

Though I see the logic, amber signals won’t fix either of these.
I agree that amber signals don't fix a lot of the problems mentioned including lack of lane discipline and lack of signal use in the US.

But I see the benefit of amber signals. Many times when approaching behind another car at an angle while in next lane, I've seen the flash of a red light and had to look carefully to see if it's a brake light or a signal. It's a split second of extra reaction time that I feel should not be necessary. But that's just my observation or opinion based on 30+ years of driving. And many vehicles with red signals share the same brake light and turn signal light, which doesn't help.
Old 07-06-09, 09:57 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
i hate red signals too but my C class has red signals. I think it is only okay if they are LED because it makes them easier to see. Otherwise, the regular bulbs are t oo weak in color.

I think they should mandate that the two brake lights on the side cannot be used for the signal though
I think the bigger problem is when the turn signal does double duty with the brake light. Then you have one side blinking and one side solid. It would seem that the mandate should include a turn signal bulb separate from the brakes, regardless of color.
Old 07-06-09, 10:05 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

What do you expect when people drive around and don't even realize they are driving (1) without any lights, (2) just the DRLs, (3) with their high beams blinding me (even after me flashing them)?? Some people just have no clue.