Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Mandate Amber Turn Signals for the US

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-09, 04:52 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mandate Amber Turn Signals for the US

REPORT: NHTSA may mandate amber turn signals

by Chris Shunk on Jul 2nd 2009 at 12:57PM

Some cars have red turn signal lamps, while others have an amber hue. Big deal, right? The National Highway Traffic Safety Association thinks it is, after finding that amber lights are 5.3% more effective at preventing crashes than the red blinkers. NHTSA came to that conclusion after comparing crash data of vehicles that switched from one color to another. Europe already mandates the amber turn signal, and NHTSA says that data from other agencies supports their findings. As it is, American cars sold in Europe already receive legal turn signal units – even if they aren't sold that way in America (see Chevrolet's C6 Corvette as an example).

NHTSA is now asking the public whether it should mandate amber turn signals for all vehicles sold in the States. Unfortunately for automakers, amber turn signals aren't exactly high fashion here in the U.S., as the vast majority of the signals are of the red blinking variety, likely because of cost considerations. While it's true that the auto industry is probably suffering from a case of far too many regulations, anything that can improve safety by up to 5.3% without costing an arm and a leg is probably worth considering. If NHTSA gives automakers a reasonable amount of time to implement the changes, automakers may be able to fit the change into the next design cycle.
source: http://www.autoblog.com/2009/07/02/r...-turn-signals/

Faymester's take: YES! DO IT! DO IT NOW!
I can't stand red turn signals, if the asthetics are super important have an amber bulb behind a different color lense (clear / red)
Old 07-02-09, 04:54 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Next, it would be nice if drivers used signals when in traffic.
Old 07-02-09, 05:11 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

i hate red signals too but my C class has red signals. I think it is only okay if they are LED because it makes them easier to see. Otherwise, the regular bulbs are t oo weak in color.

I think they should mandate that the two brake lights on the side cannot be used for the signal though
Old 07-02-09, 05:56 PM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Next, it would be nice if drivers used signals when in traffic.
Second that notion, really is that hard?
Old 07-02-09, 07:11 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Though I'm not a proponent of needness and unnecessary regulations, I agree with this one. I was sold on amber turn-signals when we first saw them here in the late 1970's. The Chevy Citation, in 1980, had them only on the upmarket models, essentially offering them as an option.

What is interesting is that my 2006 Outback has amber rear turn signals, but, the year after that, Subaru, without redesigning the vehicle, made a running change in the rear-lens assemblies that removed the amber part and stuck in a clear one. It might (?) have been a couple of cents cheaper to install on each vehicle.

2005-2006 with amber lens:

Later models (with the same bodystyle) and clear lens:

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-02-09 at 07:15 PM.
Old 07-02-09, 11:15 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

smoke it, tint it, switch them to clear or do whatever after you buy it.
Old 07-02-09, 11:21 PM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Porsche did that a couple years ago too I prefer the amber lens but alot of people Buy clear lenses to replace amber, it's the fad now
Old 07-02-09, 11:27 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

doesnt seem like that big of a deal. I think the hardest part will be to get some of these clowns to actually use their signals
Old 07-02-09, 11:49 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Doesn't really bother me one way or the other.
Old 07-03-09, 12:35 AM
Big Andy
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Make hand signals compulsory I say - better still those little flags thaat used to pop out of the B pillar.
Old 07-03-09, 04:08 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I kind of always liked unified all red US tailights compared to three color tailights in EU or Japan. Sure that was ten years ago now they figured out how to make turn signals amber coming out of red tailight cover so that is neat.

I dont mind if its red or amber as long as turn signal has its own separate bulb, I think that is what makes the difference. Always hated domestics that have one bulb for position, brake and turn signal
Old 07-03-09, 05:50 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,436 Likes on 1,597 Posts

i don't think govt should mandate amber for turn signals. what's next, no more black painted cars because they're not 'safe' at night?
Old 07-03-09, 06:19 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

doesnt bother me if they are red or not

would be nice if people didnt drive around with burned out brake lights either
Old 07-03-09, 06:38 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i don't think govt should mandate amber for turn signals. what's next, no more black painted cars because they're not 'safe' at night?

I respect your opinion here, but, in most cases, having standardization in things like bulbs and turn signals is probably a good thing. One good thing is that most rear taillight bulbs themselves have already been standarized....most cars use a small #1157 GE or Sylvania bulb for those functions. I have replaced a number of them myself.

I agree that the government should not mandate auto colors (as my auto reviews sometimes try to do ), but, in general, black cars can be a PITA.....I really don't understand black's wide popularity. Yes, they can be nice and shiny when clean, but they get hot as hell parked in the summer sun, are extremely difficult to keep clean, show every fingerprint and piece of dust/dirt, and magnify the slightest flaw in the painting process.
Old 07-03-09, 06:52 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 163 Likes on 139 Posts

I always had an idea when I was in Mexico to do flashing strobes like camera flashes to indicate a turn signal.

Quick Reply: Mandate Amber Turn Signals for the US