Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

The new Subie WRX Sti is really growing on me...

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-09, 10:00 PM
LexFather

Well the hatch really appeals to me. To have fun but it can be useful. Another reason the Prius appeals to me.

Old 07-05-09, 10:54 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall
It is true that, all other things equal, the weight/drag of AWD does rob some power and mileage, but not necessarily steering feel. Subarus, for example, have some of the best steering feel this side of a BMW....particularly the Legacy-Outback line. The feel of the steering was only one of many things that sold me on my Outback.
Steering feel is very subjective and not objective. Late model Mercedes and Porsche steering feel is better than Subies, IMO based on actual driving experience and the opinion of many qualified experts. Anytime you apply power to the wheels that turn/steer you mask some steering feel. Therefore RWD Porsche cars have better steering feel than AWD Porsche cars, etc.
Old 07-05-09, 10:56 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Well the hatch really appeals to me. To have fun but it can be useful. Another reason the Prius appeals to me.
No doubt the hatch adds utility and certainly the European market sees the value and appeal of a hatch.

I think the Prius is ugly and all performance aspects are way too low (other than fuel economy of course), so no appeal to me.
Old 07-05-09, 11:06 AM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

this car is so ugly.
Old 07-05-09, 11:49 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by dunnojack
this car is so ugly.
I am not going to deny its physically challanged in the looks department but its "grown" on me.....

Old 07-05-09, 05:24 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Steering feel is very subjective and not objective. Late model Mercedes and Porsche steering feel is better than Subies, IMO based on actual driving experience and the opinion of many qualified experts. Anytime you apply power to the wheels that turn/steer you mask some steering feel. Therefore RWD Porsche cars have better steering feel than AWD Porsche cars, etc.

First, I disagree that AWD necessarily robs steering feel. Not only with Subies, but also with AWD BMW's (probably the world's master car maker when it comes to steering feel), I notice little difference between RWD and AWD models (there are no RWD Subies, of course, in the American market). So it is more a matter of how the pump, hydraulics, electronics, rack, and, in some cases, tires, are designed than which set of wheels is driven. For instance, I had a FWD Mazda GLC, many years ago, with non-power steering that had better steering feel than many RWD cars I've driven....and one of the best I've experienced.

Second, I have not driven an AWD Porsche for some time (the last Porsche I reviewed was a mid-engine, RWD, Boxster) so I can't comment directly on them, but in sampling RWD and AWD Mercedes products, I notice little if any difference in steering feel.

BTW, just for the record, the numbest steering I have seen on modern vehicles was on the RWD Ford Crown Victoria sedan and AWD Hyundai Veracruz SUV. I genuinely feel sorry for the the cops and taxi drivers that have to run around all day in Crown Vics. Perhaps (?) the reason the steering on the Ford Crown Vic and Mercury Grand Marquis is so numb and feathery is that a large proportion of senior citizens buy them have arthritis, weak arms, hands, shoulders, etc..... and the steering system is deliberately designed to need almost no effort turning it.
Old 07-05-09, 05:27 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Originally Posted by IS-SV
No doubt the hatch adds utility and certainly the European market sees the value and appeal of a hatch.

I think the Prius is ugly and all performance aspects are way too low (other than fuel economy of course), so no appeal to me.
With all due respect, Mike, I'm with IS-SV on this one. The Prius, no doubt, is a great way to stretch your gas dollars, but, other than that, I also find the new 2010 model unimpressive in a number of areas (and, to be fair, the Honda Insight is also disappointing in several areas)

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-05-09 at 05:31 PM.
Old 07-05-09, 07:00 PM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I feel 1sick as well, it is a good looking, agressive car at the very least. Interior is still cheap though. But it did grow on me.
Old 07-05-09, 07:07 PM
Nigel-JDMParts
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

yeah, this sti is growing on me too.

It looks better the more you look at it.
Old 07-05-09, 07:13 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
First, I disagree that AWD necessarily robs steering feel. Not only with Subies, but also with AWD BMW's (probably the world's master car maker when it comes to steering feel), I notice little difference between RWD and AWD models (there are no RWD Subies, of course, in the American market). So it is more a matter of how the pump, hydraulics, electronics, rack, and, in some cases, tires, are designed than which set of wheels is driven. For instance, I had a FWD Mazda GLC, many years ago, with non-power steering that had better steering feel than many RWD cars I've driven....and one of the best I've experienced.

Second, I have not driven an AWD Porsche for some time (the last Porsche I reviewed was a mid-engine, RWD, Boxster) so I can't comment directly on them, but in sampling RWD and AWD Mercedes products, I notice little if any difference in steering feel.

BTW, just for the record, the numbest steering I have seen on modern vehicles was on the RWD Ford Crown Victoria sedan and AWD Hyundai Veracruz SUV. I genuinely feel sorry for the the cops and taxi drivers that have to run around all day in Crown Vics. Perhaps (?) the reason the steering on the Ford Crown Vic and Mercury Grand Marquis is so numb and feathery is that a large proportion of senior citizens buy them have arthritis, weak arms, hands, shoulders, etc..... and the steering system is deliberately designed to need almost no effort turning it.
Steering feel is so subjective, not objective. In fact many of the track oriented enthusiasts here discuss it frequently in conjunction with real track results/handling which they feel is more valuable. Some people including me (but obviously not all can) feel the steering feel difference in AWD. And that's one reason the best AWD road-going systems have a rear wheel drive bias under normal dry conditions, for better feel and handling.

But whatever not all agree on this touchey feel hair splitting differences in steering feel.

I agree, there is no excuse for the tuna boat steering of Crown Vics and Mercury Marquis. I have to admit to have driven these crappy cars too. I enjoyed your discussion as to why the senile/blue-haired/cocktails for pain-killer types like numb overassisted steering, LOL.
Old 07-05-09, 07:17 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by FKL
I feel 1sick as well, it is a good looking, agressive car at the very least. Interior is still cheap though. But it did grow on me.
Back on the subject of STI Subie (not the gutless ugly Prius), I see your point about the agressive styling of the new car, certainly has a much improved stance and high-performance look to it, regardless of whether or not one likes the hatchback rear. Obviously the styling has grown on me some too.