Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Jaguar XJ official thread (no delay in production)

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-09, 11:25 PM
MoLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IMO the license plate housing makes it look cheaper, alongside the flat design of the trunk. Where is the reverse camera going to go?
Old 07-09-09, 07:31 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GFerg
Overall its mediocre at best. The front end looks good and very similar to the concept. Aggressive and imposing. Huge grill and those sexy cat like headlights. The side isnt to bad IMO, but they totally dropped the ball designing the rear.

THey had a nice idea by blacking the C pillars out, to make it appear like the rear window runs into the side windows (all one piece), but the execution is POOR. They forgot about the chrome trim. Its confusing to look at and leaves me scratching my head wondering "what were they trying to accomplish?"

THe rear end looks like something Renault, Puegoet, Citroen, Skoda or one of those other crap European brands design. Its very plain. And those tailights look like they belong on that Kia or a Lincoln or an older Cadillac.

It seems like the designer had many good ideas, but could not figure out a way to make it all work. Im a little disappointed.
Overall I completely agree with your analysis

The front of the car is very aggressive and bold, while the rear end looks like a botched attempt at mimicking one of the ultra luxury brands. The entire design is just "confused" and lacks any real clarity or purpose.

Last edited by MPLexus301; 07-09-09 at 07:34 AM.
Old 07-09-09, 09:54 AM
LexFather

I was expecting to be blown away and I was expecting for this Jag to be so beautiful, you would buy it over the LS/S/7 based on looks alone. All I get is a huge feeling of "meh"..... This was a car I was really excited about and well, I am not excited at all.

Its becoming CLEAR to me that Ian Callum is simply a one trick pony with his DB9 that spawned off the new Astons that all look the same, including the 4-door which he then made the Jaguar XK look like an Aston. Now we have an XF looking like a GS and a XJ looking like a French car/Audi/Kia.

At this point I would just have been happy he continued his same style program with the XF and XJ. The XJ while different, seems like a Hyundai, taking designs from everyone.

For example....

Old 07-09-09, 11:02 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Jaguars have always been about emotional design and unfortunately this car fails to stir much of it. Historically, Jags have been unique, sleek, gorgeous, and the automotive epitome of class- it's a car that leaves an impression as it drives by. Recent Jaguars have fallen from grace, IMO.

Despite their merits and credentials, the XK and XF lost the appeal of former Jaguars and they pain me in the same ways that this XJ does. Aside from the aggressive, scowling face and the squinted headlights...what is more unique or emotionally motivating about the XJ than any of it's competitors? Seemingly, nothing. The XK has the face of a Ford Taurus while the side of the XF is too reminiscent of the aging GS. This XJ also looks somewhat bland and uninspiring past the front wheels. Jaguars should never, ever be bland and should never evoke the mention of another car looking similar.

Yes, Jaguar has made a huge fuss about their "new direction" and the "new Jaguar" but it seems that in this transformation the brand has lost nearly all of it's appeal in the pursuit of a new identity. Sadly, it seems that the end result is just another "me too" luxury brand, which is truly the antithesis of what the brand ever stood for previously.

RIP Jaguar...

Last edited by MPLexus301; 07-09-09 at 11:15 AM.
Old 07-09-09, 12:43 PM
LexFather

And that interior is a big "HOT DAMN"!!!! I like it a lot.

Source

Old 07-09-09, 01:05 PM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Maybe I am wrong but I think this car is trying to be modern and aristocratic at the same time and end result is a mess. Interior is the same way, I am soo not feeling it. Well I guess glass touch sensing surfaces were rumors after all
Old 07-09-09, 01:27 PM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

I'm quite liking the interior and the front end.

I'd have to see it in person for a full assessment...
Old 07-09-09, 01:29 PM
LexFather

Old 07-09-09, 02:11 PM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Ha you nailed it!!! Well just because of that resamblance i am starting to appreciate new XJ.

BTW Jag photography is awesome!!!
Old 07-09-09, 02:21 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

the interior looks like a big luxury jacuzzi
Old 07-09-09, 02:35 PM
LexFather

While I love the interior I really REALLY despise circular vents in luxury vehicles, especially the center console. Reminds me of Bumblebee's face.

Old 07-09-09, 02:48 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The XJ already looks like a Lincoln.

But it would've been better if they moved the license plate up to the trunk. It's just so bald there.

Look what happens to the S class when you take the plate off the trunk.

It just looks awkward.
Old 07-09-09, 03:09 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
It actually doesnt look as bad in this pic IMO. Still room for improvement, but better than the first group of pictures. I'm sure this car would look pretty damn stunning in black.

The interior is full of all sorts of win. Thats what I like to see lots of in luxury cars. Tons of wood leather and chrome. ANd the details are pretty damn cool too.

The strategy was to deploy wood not as an added-on affectation, but as a more structural element – "Like a Riva boat," Callum confesses. Jaguar has also dramatically increased the number of leather, wood and trim options (including eight veneers, carbon fiber or piano black) affording a degree of personalization more in line with the small volume efforts from England's other hallowed automotive precincts. There's even a Supersport model with semi-anilene leather seats and a matching leather headliner.
directly above the top-dead-center mounted analog clock (adjacent to the center channel speaker), you'll see a small insert proudly labeled "Jaguar". Customers will be able to specify their own text for this area if they so choose... a personal monogram, perhaps, or a pet name for their new cat?
Even the analog gauges are surrounded by chromed rings. Only they aren't really chrome – and come to think of it, they aren't really analog at all. The entire gauge cluster is a massive 12.3-inch TFT screen, and in addition to virtual gauges (speedo, rev counter, fuel, temp), the displays can show all manner of information as well as do some neat tricks like unique startup visuals and the ability to 'spotlight' key information like fading out the tachometer in favor of a low fuel warning, say. In another interesting twist, if the car's Dynamic mode is selected, the 'gauges' glow red and the transmission's gear indicator becomes more prominent.
For instance, when you dial up the car's Sport mode, the electronic gauge cluster moves the tachometer to the center and brings up an enlarged shift indicator in anticipation of more spirited driving. For the navigation screen, there's optional dual-view technology that allows the driver and front passenger to see two different screens at the same time.
Old 07-09-09, 03:13 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Its also good that the rear window comes from the factory with a dark tint playing into the silly black pillars. He designed it that way because he felt without it, it made the car look to top heavy and large.

And a 1200 watt 20 speaker 7.1 surround sound. ANd each passenger can listen and watch different things at the some time. wow.

Also interesting to note that the 510hp version will not be labeled XJR. Wonder if an even more powerful version is in the works.
Old 07-09-09, 03:35 PM
ted920
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Front = GOOD

REAR = REAL BAD (Bad license holder and rear is also to long).

INTERIOR = GREAT!

Ted

Quick Reply: Jaguar XJ official thread (no delay in production)