Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Jaguar XJ official thread (no delay in production)

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-09, 03:34 PM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Disagree about the vents looking cheap. There's absolutely no rationale for that statement to me unless you're making some kind of arbitrary association to Pontiac or something. They look very sturdy and thoroughly thought out. Just look at the mechanism. They're actually features of the design rather than the generic gill slits most cars have. I love the way they actually make a statement whereas simple slitted vents would have just looked like the anonymously squished-in function that they could have been. The leather is sumptuous, the layout clean and elegant, and the wood and chrome accents tasteful.

There are interiors which you admire either for the design or for the materials and fit. Just as I do the interior of an Aston Martin, this is one that I admire for both equally.
Old 07-14-09, 07:33 PM
farquad
Lexus Test Driver

it's funny the XJ grew on me as i saw more pics of it throughout this thread.. the interior is magnificent though.. rear is still meh
Old 07-14-09, 09:26 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts
Default New 2010 Jaguar XJ on the streets of London ......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sloB...layer_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-NSW...eature=channel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHnTa...eature=channel

Looks good
Old 07-15-09, 10:47 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That Volvo snout and dark rear roof pillar is a bit much, IMO.
Old 07-15-09, 10:50 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by speedflex
Y

The question is not how this JX compares to its lesser sibling but how it compares to its major competitors, the S-Class, S7 Series, A8 and LS. Against those this Jag is something really tasteful, elegant, special and quite a stand-out.
Yes and IMHO the S-class and LS look much better (exterior-wise) than this Jag, with better integrated, cleaner styling.
Old 07-15-09, 11:04 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

If this car had an XF-esque rear end without that tacky blacked out C piller, it would be a knockout, IMO.

As is, the design just doesnt flow in my eyes. Front is aggressive, rear is droopy and exaggerated. A shorter, tighter rear end would have complemented the rest of the design beautifully.
Old 07-15-09, 11:11 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
If this car had an XF-esque rear end without that tacky blacked out C piller, it would be a knockout, IMO.

As is, the design just doesnt flow in my eyes. Front is aggressive, rear is droopy and exaggerated. A shorter, tighter rear end would have complemented the rest of the design beautifully.
The rear is the weak link but it is distinctive. It has a rather cat-like quality which fits. I don't dislike it, I just don't think it lives up to the rest of the car. If anything it has vestiges of Lincoln in it. But that seems minor compared to the gorgeousness of the rest of the car. INHO rear end designs are disappointing on 90% of cars in general.

But I still contend that other cars such as the LS and 750 look almost Plain Jane next to this Jag.
Old 07-15-09, 11:35 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

But I still contend that other cars such as the LS and 750 look almost Plain Jane next to this Jag.
There is a difference between plain and conservative, IMO.

The LS has, IMO, one of the most beautifully styled rear ends in the business. The tail pipes are integrated artfully and mirror the shapes of the tail lights, there is a good mix of metal and plastic, the tail lights stretch slightly into the shoulders of the car, all of the lines are smooth, and overall everything is very proportionate. It looks substantial and harmonious, but also mirrors the overall design of the front of the car.

The 750i is styled much the same, though the shape of the lights is a bit different.

My problem with the rear of the XJ is not only the overhang, but the massive expanse of metal in relation to relatively small tail lights. If the license plate was moved to the decklid it would create a little more harmony on the rear of the vehicle but it looks somewhat disporportionate as is. Small, delicate looking tail lights tacked on to the edges of an expanse of sheetmetal just does not look right IMO. This is a large car and the cues need to be proportionately large to the rest of it and especially the surface that they lie on. My main qualm is the extremely aggressive, sharply styled front end's contrast in relation to the sonorous and flowing rear.
Old 07-15-09, 11:47 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by MPLexus301

My problem with the rear of the XJ is not only the overhang, but the massive expanse of metal in relation to relatively small tail lights. If the license plate was moved to the decklid it would create a little more harmony on the rear of the vehicle but it looks somewhat disporportionate as is. Small, delicate looking tail lights tacked on to the edges of an expanse of sheetmetal just does not look right IMO. This is a large car and the cues need to be proportionately large to the rest of it and especially the surface that they lie on. My main qualm is the extremely aggressive, sharply styled front end's contrast in relation to the sonorous and flowing rear.
I pretty much agree with this.
Old 07-15-09, 11:52 AM
TLe2006
Lexus Champion

I noticed that the xj exterior styling is similar to the car's emblem. It's aggressive in the front and tame in the back.
Old 07-16-09, 11:41 AM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

I pretty much agree with this.
+ 1

This completes the transformation of the entire Jag lineup from most beautiful 1998-2005 to wouldn't want anything they make for me. I suspect Chris Bangle has infiltrated the Jag design studio somehow. As a former Jag "fashion fleet" vendor I find it interesting how much interest the Jag threads generate despite most posters saying they would never buy one!

Old 07-16-09, 01:55 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

that is one the best applications of CF i've seen.

not tacky like the tasteless crap people stick on

Old 07-16-09, 05:45 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mWzK...eature=channel

XJ's being built.

white one is not bad

and better video of road sighting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wOvLUyA1so&NR=1

Last edited by dunnojack; 07-16-09 at 05:48 PM.
Old 07-17-09, 04:11 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

I like my Photoshop rendition much better.

Before

After
Old 07-19-09, 09:27 PM
Incendiary
Lexus Test Driver

I agree that the trunk lid looks like a vast expanse of metal that would benefit from a center LED light strip, but that interior is just amazing.

Quick Reply: Jaguar XJ official thread (no delay in production)