Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

a BMW dealership (salesperson) lied

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-09, 12:04 PM
raytseng
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Possibly this is why they're working at the car dealership and not somewhere else.
Know your audience, they aren't the smartest people on the block
Old 07-08-09, 12:14 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

nothing really amazes me anymore on this topic. evidently i get similar crap from all kind of dealerships
Old 07-10-09, 06:19 PM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

One of the reasons that I continue to deal with the local Lexus dealer is that there is none of that kind of BS. The sales people seem very well trained on the cars and high pressure is forbidden by the owner. Really nice to deal with true professionals.

About the time I begin to believe that the high end dealers have learned, I run into something like yesterday at the local Mercedes dealer. I wanted to see how the C63 drove since I'm thinking about trading my G35 coupe. I drove up in my Lexus and was promptly greeted by a salesman. He immediately started on my Lexus and the fact that it would have to be auctioned because they are worthless on the market as used cars. He was obviously a trained engineer since he knows that all "Jap" cars are made from scrap metal and can't be repaired after an accident. Mercedes on the other hand use only new steel and are much stronger. I never did get my C63 ride, I had to leave. Did not know whether to laugh or get angry so I left. Dealership owners must make the big difference. Maybe this guy used to sell BMW?
Steve
Old 07-10-09, 07:33 PM
primecut
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
In my experience, Lexus in general (and especially the IS F), is a rather abrasive subject for BMW people.
QFT. And that's because *some* of the BMW peeps are the biggest brand loyalists, to put it nicely. I had this dude check out my car without knowing that I was the owner. He walked round and round and looked at it from a million different angles. When he realized I was the owner, he couldn't even bring himself to say anything nice about it. I was complementing on his nice BMW the whole time. But obviously, for every one of those, there are also true enthusiasts who appreciate different types of cars, for which I'm glad.

In terms of salesmen, it's mind boggling how some of them don't even bother studying the product they're trying to sell. You'd think that's the basic requirement. Whenever I go to dealerships, I spend at least half my time trying to correct the salesman trying to tell me the wrong information about the car.
Old 07-10-09, 08:22 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

he tells me that he Dynod his M3 at 3 different locations and he got 500HP TO THE WHEELS
This is a bunch of nonsense.

HP doesn't go directly to the wheels. Torque does.

Horsepower from combusion is developed in the cylinders (or firing chambers, in rotary engines). That direct power, from up-and-down piston action, is converted into twisting power, or torque (measured in ft-lbs.), by the crankshaft/flywheel and goes through the transmission, drive shaft, and drive axles to the wheels.

Here is the formula:

T (torque)= HP x 5252

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-10-09 at 08:40 PM.
Old 07-10-09, 08:29 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
This is a bunch of nonsense.

HP doesn't go to the wheels. Torque does.

Horsepower from combusion is developed in the cylinders (or firing chambers, in rotary engines). That direct power, from up-and-down piston action, is converted into twisting power, or torque (measured in ft-lbs.), by the crankshaft/flywheel and goes through the transmission, drive shaft, and drive axles to the wheels.

T (torque)= HP x 5252
---------------------
rpm

I like it . Never mind addressing the wrong numbers, let's talk about how your statement can't even be true
Old 07-10-09, 08:34 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Faymester
I like it . Never mind addressing the wrong numbers, let's talk about how your statement can't even be true
My statement or the salesman's?
Old 07-10-09, 08:35 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
My statement or the salesman's?
The salesman's statement being incorrect.

Your responce I love.
Old 07-10-09, 08:38 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Faymester
The salesman's statement being incorrect.

Your responce I love.
Yes. I don't know how he can be involved in racing (or so he says) and not know that. Perhaps (?) that was another slight fib.
Old 07-10-09, 09:43 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I am amazed that he would asume that you know so little about cars. I would have told the guy that he insulted my intelligence and and has embarrassed himself. I frequently know more about cars than the sales peopel that help me. I was once on a G37 est drive and I was describign the rev matching to the sales person and he actually asked me what the purpose of rev matching is. I told it helps to keep the chasis poised when preparing for a turn and it will provide better and quicker response on corner exit and he actually wrote it down in a note pad so that he would tell his customers.

In 2002 when I bought my G35 the sales guy tried to tell me that the G35 will light it up off the line . The sales person was an ex lawyer so I should have known. I am surprised this guy is supposed to be a race driver and BS's like this
Old 07-10-09, 11:11 PM
juice14
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by oldcajun

He immediately started on my Lexus and the fact that it would have to be auctioned because they are worthless on the market as used cars.

Steve
WHAT!!! lexus is one of the hottest used cars on the market today. some actually have gone up in price (I didnt make this up) since people are buying them so much. My local Lexus dealership broke sales records three months in a row this past spring, he said they couldnt keep an used lexus on the lot.
the funny thing is that all the traded in cars are sitting on the lot and they all are... guess what brands?? hehe.
Old 07-10-09, 11:27 PM
ren495
Pole Position

the chances of that guy being a race car driver are the same as the chance that the M3 has 500 horses at the wheels.

These guys often are total losers in real life and about the biggest bull-sh####rs you would ever meet.
Old 07-11-09, 12:52 AM
ivanz
Lead Lap

I've seen this type of stuff (lying) from every single dealer...including Lexus. When I bought mine, the guy lied to my face and I proved him wrong on everything...he then asked me to leave because he was so embarrassed. Later on, another salesperson contacted me and asked if I would still be interested in the purchase (with a huge price reduction and no BS).
Old 07-11-09, 12:58 AM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Working at a dealer, I see BS all the time. BMW and Honda dealers tend to be BAD in this aspect. I've heard a BMW salesman saying that Lexus and Infiniti use cheap steel, and one of the guys at work was saying that a Civic DX has power windows and locks to a little kid when it clearly doesn't have power locks!
Old 07-11-09, 08:10 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by nthach
Working at a dealer, I see BS all the time. BMW and Honda dealers tend to be BAD in this aspect. I've heard a BMW salesman saying that Lexus and Infiniti use cheap steel, and one of the guys at work was saying that a Civic DX has power windows and locks to a little kid when it clearly doesn't have power locks!
In this particular case, it may have been just an honest mistake on his part. It is true that the Civic DX comes with power windows but not power door locks. But it is rare for one to be offered without the other, and I can understand him not realizing that. I didn't realize it myself until I looked it up on Honda's web site.

http://automobiles.honda.com/civic-s...fications.aspx

Quick Reply: a BMW dealership (salesperson) lied