Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

a BMW dealership (salesperson) lied

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-09, 10:30 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Poor guy, being a Chrysler development engineer is not a resume booster. Since he was knowledgable, it was talent being wasted at Chrysler.
Yes, to an extent......but he knew that Chrysler needed to do a much better job on the quality of their cars. He and I talked for maybe a half an hour. He was one of the few people I ever met who talked about the big problems Chrysler had trying to do anything under M-B leadership. Mercedes simply wouldn't let Chrysler address some of its most pressing problems. I pointed out how cheaply the Dodge Caliber was made, and he agreed and said himself that the Caliber and Compass were an embarassment (something that company reps rarely do with their own procucts, in public).
Old 07-12-09, 10:49 PM
kalvano
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by raytseng
Possibly this is why they're working at the car dealership and not somewhere else.
Know your audience, they aren't the smartest people on the block

I like that one the best.
Old 07-16-09, 05:56 AM
ming15237
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sales persons...

Having worked in the auto industry for the past 20 years or so I can say with certainty that "If a sales mens mouth is moving, he is lying!" I can also say that the higher end dealership sales men make a VERY nice living. It is NOT uncommon for a Lexus or BMW sales person to make in the six figures range. My first real eye opener was a reading available on Edmund's.com, I believe it was called "confessions of a car sales man", it talks all about working at various dealerships, and how the money is made on sales. It really is a must read for any new car buyer!
My experience with sales men delivering cars to out shop for us to check out for customers before the sales agreement is signed has been less than stellar. They are always claiming "it has a clean Car Fax report", (Which, by the way means NOTHING, I have seen more wrecked vehicles have clean Car Fax reports than not) It was only one owner, it was garage kept, blah blah blah. Remember if their mouth is moving they are lying!
Old 07-16-09, 06:40 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ming15237
Having worked in the auto industry for the past 20 years or so I can say with certainty that "If a sales mens mouth is moving, he is lying!"

Remember if their mouth is moving they are lying!
Having helped people shop for cars, and buy cars, for a lot more than 20 years, I can say that, in general, that is true, but there are a number of exceptions. Not all salespeople are B.S.'ers, especially those that you get to know or are repeat customers.
Old 07-16-09, 07:44 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Having helped people shop for cars, and buy cars, for a lot more than 20 years, I can say that, in general, that is true, but there are a number of exceptions. Not all salespeople are B.S.'ers, especially those that you get to know or are repeat customers.
I agree, since I too have purchased and helped others purchase dozens of cars in last 3 decades. But the general state of auto salesmanship is pretty bad, with only a handful in it for the long haul.
Old 07-16-09, 08:31 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

there are always exceptions in almost everything out there. people just have to be smart enough and use their brains on everything rather than just listen and trust.
Old 07-16-09, 08:45 AM
shern
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A little off subject but it reminds me of the time I was in BestBuy and I overheard a salesman trying to sell a TV to a customer. In the process, he told the customer that he/she needed a "high end" $100 HDMI cable because the TV was 120Hz. At that point I stopped, stared the douchebag in the face until he looked me in the eyes and started shaking my head.

There is so much mis-information out there. Un-educated consumers get screwed everyday.
Old 07-16-09, 12:45 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

I second that, I have meet many car salesman who is very knowledgeable, but every brand has its share of bad salesmen, not just BMW.
Old 07-16-09, 03:17 PM
slvrboolet
Lexus Champion

The lexus car sales guys at least here locally make good money you get fired if you make 50k (u aint selling enough) my dad has a long time friend that works there thats strait from his mouth. I'm in sales (not cars) and know about lexus cars in general so maybe i found a new job lol.
Old 07-16-09, 03:47 PM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Been in sales before, and honestly, I tried not to lie to the customer. I would tell them the pluses and negatives to everything they wanted, and tried to guide them to what would best suit their needs (Shoe salesman at Dillards). Needless to say, it is probably different at a car dealership where it's pretty much cutthroat I would assume. How could you work at a Chevy dealership and tell the customer that the 09 aveo is the best bang for the buck.....
Old 07-16-09, 05:48 PM
DRE1615
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by f=ma
You think that's bad? I went to a Subaru dealership to look at the new hatchback STI for my son. And this nice salesman was helping me out and his "manager" came out told the nice salesman to "beat it" and started challenging me. Telling me my ISF was crap and this his own STI would beat it (probably would but so what?). And he ended by saying "whenever you feel like your man enough, come back and we'll talk"

I was like . Since when did we start berating potential customers?? Not even the officers at the county jail were that harsh to me...
In no way would the new STI beat your a$$. I can't stand car salesmen. DBag
Old 07-16-09, 06:32 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Jewcano
How could you work at a Chevy dealership and tell the customer that the 09 aveo is the best bang for the buck.....
The Aveo, performance-wise, has no "bang" at all. It drives like a small appliance, but the interior of the top-line 2LT model is damn nice for the money.

Old 07-16-09, 09:21 PM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

The Aveo, performance-wise, has no "bang" at all. It drives like a small appliance, but the interior of the top-line 2LT model is damn nice for the money.

Well that interior looks a heck of a lot different from the rental I got to drive at work. The one I drove was stock base everything, except automatic. Manual windows, manual mirrors, no power locks.....all those should be standard on all cars today period.
Old 07-17-09, 07:14 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Jewcano
Well that interior looks a heck of a lot different from the rental I got to drive at work. The one I drove was stock base everything, except automatic. Manual windows, manual mirrors, no power locks.....all those should be standard on all cars today period.
Yes, the base Aveo's interior is as stark as a military vehicle (I drove and reviewed both versions not long ago). The difference between the base model and the 2LT interior is enormous.
Old 07-17-09, 07:19 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

BMW salesman like to talk performance, that is BMW's edgy. They will say anything to steer the conversation toward performance to make the customers forget about BMW's short comings.

Quick Reply: a BMW dealership (salesperson) lied