Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Review: 2009 Nissan Murano LE

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-09, 01:52 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by PAULGS430
Seriously! Your reveiws are awesome! Well done.
Thanks. I put a fair amount of time and effort into them.
Old 07-09-09, 01:56 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Orzel
Well, I would suggest you try one out, if for no other reason to see if it in fact is better than the last Murano. The changes are substantial! BTW, our loaded Murano was negotiated down to well below that 40k figure, and we got an amazing amount of trade for our Thundercloud, certainly better than I expected.
I'll be sure to check out all options when it comes time to replace my wife's 4runner, though that's still probably 5 years away. I just have a hard time looking at a 40k dollar sticker and looking at a Nissan badge on a midsized SUV. At 40k I expect to be looking at an Infiniti or Lexus... and for that matter, the Infiniti and Lexus SUVs of similar size do start under 40. It seems that you basically gain a few extras like nav and xenon lighting on the Nissan in exchange for the badge and associated luxuries.

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Don't look at the Pontiac Aztek, then.....you're liable to pass out.
You know, the Asstek was ugly for its day but these days seeing cars like the Nissan Cube, Honda Element, Scion xB, etc... I can't help but find the Aztek to be 'not so bad afterall' when put next to those others. And worse yet, the cube car trend has actually caught on. Many people think they look good! Heck, maybe even you do and you're about to tell me about it.
Old 07-09-09, 02:07 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Threxx
40 grand just sounds like too much for that vehicle... loaded or not. Maybe if I drove one my mind would be changed, but if it's anything even remotely close to the last Murano, I wouldn't buy a loaded one for even 30, much less 40.
Like I mentioned earlier, there are less-expensive S and SL versions available.
As far as actually driving it, it's far more of a cruiser then a bruiser. If you want an SUV that drives aggressively like, say, an Acura RDX, then look elsewhere.

Are planning to check out the 2010 LaCrosse when it comes out in about a month?
Yes.....I'll consider that a request (I mentioned that possibility in the new LaCrosse thread we had earlier). But I'm afraid of what I'm going to find. Buicks are supposed to be Buicks (luxury-oriented, soft-riding cruisers), not BMWs. That is why they sell so well to those interested in soft-riding vehicles, and those who like that type of suspension and interior.

Much of what I've read about the new LaCrosse, what we've discussed here on CL, and from what little of it I saw at the D.C. Auto Show in February (where it was up on a turntable, not out on the floor), indicates that it's giving up its Buick heritage to start worshipping at the sport-sedan altar. But, as I am with all car reviews, I'll be as objective as I can.
Old 07-09-09, 02:12 PM
LexFather

I'll be sure to check out all options when it comes time to replace my wife's 4runner, though that's still probably 5 years away. I just have a hard time looking at a 40k dollar sticker and looking at a Nissan badge on a midsized SUV. At 40k I expect to be looking at an Infiniti or Lexus... and for that matter, the Infiniti and Lexus SUVs of similar size do start under 40. It seems that you basically gain a few extras like nav and xenon lighting on the Nissan in exchange for the badge and associated luxuries.

You know, the Asstek was ugly for its day but these days seeing cars like the Nissan Cube, Honda Element, Scion xB, etc... I can't help but find the Aztek to be 'not so bad afterall' when put next to those others. And worse yet, the cube car trend has actually caught on. Many people think they look good! Heck, maybe even you do and you're about to tell me about it.
The Asstek lives as the BMW X6.....if it was badged an import car, it would have been hailed as the 2nd coming....sadly it was a Pontiac and import sheep laughed at it.

We have some truly ugly aztek type vehicles from the Pilot to the GLK etc etc and people buy them with no issues.

If these Murano's and CR-Vs and Sequoias etc were badged GM/Ford/Chrysler NO ONE would buy them.

Its the double standard

Old 07-09-09, 02:20 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes.....I'll consider that a request (I mentioned that possibility in the new LaCrosse thread we had earlier). But I'm afraid of what I'm going to find. Buicks are supposed to be Buicks (luxury-oriented, soft-riding cruisers), not BMWs. That is why they sell so well to those interested in soft-riding vehicles, and those who like that type of suspension and interior.

Much of what I've read about the new LaCrosse, what we've discussed here on CL, and from what little of it I saw at the D.C. Auto Show in February (where it was up on a turntable, not out on the floor), indicates that it's giving up its Buick heritage to start worshipping at the sport-sedan altar. But, as I am with all car reviews, I'll be as objective as I can.
While I suspect it will definitely not drive like a wondering marshmallow on top of a water bed like many Buicks of the past did, I will be very surprised if it drives anything close to a BMW. I suspect the suspension and chassis tuning will be something more like the Lexus GS350 than anything else. Which is to say not soft, but far from harsh or overly sport-focused.

I've chatted with some people who've already driven the car before and they said the most impressive thing about it was how solid and refined it felt... they said steering and chassis response was good, too, but didn't describe it as sporty, either. Probably a good competent cruiser more than anything.

If you have the opportunity, please check out both the bread and butter CXL with 18" wheels and regular suspension, as well as the CXS with the more powerful 3.6L engine and magnetic ride control suspension. I still can't find out with MRC is standard on the CXS or optional but either way I think if you get the 19" wheels, you get MRC by default which may help more than compensate for the lower profile tires.
Old 07-09-09, 02:24 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by madmax2k1
I loved the styling of the first gen Murano,
Styling, of course, is objective (and you opinion obviously wasn't alone), but I hope you didn't like the way that the first Muranos (and the Altimas of the period) had those flimsy plastic gauge pods that rocked back and forth in your fingers. Some of the Nissan interiors and hardware of that time were very cheaply done.

During the test drive, I felt the Murano had better steering feedback and tighter handling than the RX, however its price was too high when fully loaded.
Well, to an extent, I agree......for 40K, I would rather have an RX myself. I like the RX's tomb-like quietness and silky-smooth isolation, though, with the RX's new wishbone suspension (even with the also-new higher-profile 60-series tires), you do feel some bumps.....it is not a magic carpet like older LS models.
Old 07-09-09, 02:42 PM
TripleL
No Substitute

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

mmarshall -- this was an excellent and eye opening review, thank you.

I will admit that I never warmed up to the last gen Murano's exterior, interior and driving dynamics. I'm assisting someone who's looking for a vehicle in that category and I haven't mentioned the Murano at all to them as yet. Based on the interior and driving impressions you shared I will suggest to them that they should check it out. Although the price of the model you tested is outside what they want to spend I know other models with less options exist. Thanks again.
Old 07-09-09, 02:43 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
The Asstek lives as the BMW X6.....if it was badged an import car, it would have been hailed as the 2nd coming....sadly it was a Pontiac and import sheep laughed at it.
Well, the BMW faithful don't seem to be exactly eating it up either. But, though it has the same general body shape of the Aztek, I don't think the X6's front/rear ends are anywhere near as ugly. And it does combine the excellent BMW chassis/steering in a higher-stance, AWD, all-weather security vehicle without the squarish-box styling of the X3 and X5, an interesting concept. With the X6, you can have the X5's capabilities with a more stylish roofline.

We have some truly ugly aztek type vehicles from the Pilot to the GLK etc etc and people buy them with no issues.
I know styling is subjective, but, as I see it, it's stretching it a bit to put the Pilot in the same ugliness-class as an Aztek. And the Pilot sold well......few people actually bought the Aztek (though I watched one couple fall in love with, and buy, a white Aztek the day I helped my ex-boss get a new Yukon XL at a local Pontiac-GMC shop).

If these Murano's and CR-Vs and Sequoias etc were badged GM/Ford/Chrysler NO ONE would buy them.

Its the double standard
Well, it doesn't seem to be working the other way around, either. The Dodge/Chrysler minivan platform is rebadged as the VW Routan (with some differences in body/interior), yet the Routan doesn't seem to be selling.

And some foreign-designed vehicles do, oddly, sell better as domestic-rebadges. The Suzuki Swift, for example, never had the popularity that its Chevy/Geo brothers, the Sprint/Metro, did. And the Suzuki Sidekick's sales didn't equal those of its rebadged Chevy brother, the Tracker.
Old 07-09-09, 02:49 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 733 Likes on 505 Posts

Another great review mmarshall
Old 07-09-09, 02:55 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

While I suspect it will definitely not drive like a wondering marshmallow on top of a water bed like many Buicks of the past did,
That was the LeSabre of the 1990's.....a classic mush-mobile; no question about that. But, boy, was it comfortable over bumps. To get that kind of smoothness and isolation, handling usually has to suffer.

Since then, however, even the LeSabre and Lucerne have gotten a little firmer. But the new Lacrosse seems (?) to be a major change from Buicks of the past.

If you have the opportunity, please check out both the bread and butter CXL with 18" wheels and regular suspension, as well as the CXS with the more powerful 3.6L engine and magnetic ride control suspension. I still can't find out with MRC is standard on the CXS or optional but either way I think if you get the 19" wheels, you get MRC by default which may help more than compensate for the lower profile tires.
OK.....I'll try and do a 2-for-1, as I did on the new CTS last year..
Old 07-09-09, 02:59 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TripleL
mmarshall -- this was an excellent and eye opening review, thank you.
Sure. Anytime.

I will admit that I never warmed up to the last gen Murano's exterior, interior and driving dynamics. I'm assisting someone who's looking for a vehicle in that category and I haven't mentioned the Murano at all to them as yet. Based on the interior and driving impressions you shared I will suggest to them that they should check it out. Although the price of the model you tested is outside what they want to spend I know other models with less options exist. Thanks again.

Hope it helps you all out......good luck to both you and them with the shopping. But I think, when they drive the Lexus RX, they will be hooked, if they can afford 35-40K. The RX's mouse-control on the console, though, can be awkward, so they may want a non-NAV version.

The Toyota Highlander is also a nice alternative, though its interior hardware doesn't seem quite as well-done as the RX.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-09-09 at 03:03 PM.
Old 07-09-09, 03:04 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Allen K
Another great review mmarshall
Thanks.
Old 07-09-09, 06:23 PM
Orzel
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mmarshall, again, thanks for a superb, unbiased report! just wanted to give you an fyi; Yes the hood has struts and there is a substantial pad under there - I was just out in the garage and had to check.

I'm still liking the exterior, it grows on you, kinda like warts... and the interior is a quality job. We are getting ready to leave for a family reunion tomorrow AM and will be putting a few hundred mile on the Murano. Should be a good test now that I'm close to that magic 1k miles number and can open her up a bit.
Old 07-09-09, 06:42 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Orzel
mmarshall, again, thanks for a superb, unbiased report!
Sure...anytime.

just wanted to give you an fyi; Yes the hood has struts and there is a substantial pad under there - I was just out in the garage and had to check.
Thanks. I gathered from the low engine noise that there was a pad.....and a $40,000 vehicle had better not have a cheap prop-rod. That was dumb of me to forget to check, especially when I'm used to doing it week after week. But, I'm not a spring chicken any more, and age may be catching up to me.

We are getting ready to leave for a family reunion tomorrow AM and will be putting a few hundred mile on the Murano. Should be a good test now that I'm close to that magic 1k miles number and can open her up a bit.
If you are going on a long trip, as long as it has less than 1000 miles on it, vary the engine speed a little. Don't run it at a steady speed on the Interstate for miles on end. You don't have to speed up and slow down constantly, but just vary it a little here ane there. Once you have the 1000 miles, the engine will be considered broken-in, and you can treat it like you normally would. I'd also at least consider an oil change shortly after the break-in (even if it if not on the official maintenence schedule) to get the metal shavings from the break-in process out of the oil and filter.
Old 07-15-09, 12:55 PM
Orzel
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sure...anytime.

If you are going on a long trip, as long as it has less than 1000 miles on it, vary the engine speed a little. Don't run it at a steady speed on the Interstate for miles on end. You don't have to speed up and slow down constantly, but just vary it a little here ane there. Once you have the 1000 miles, the engine will be considered broken-in, and you can treat it like you normally would. I'd also at least consider an oil change shortly after the break-in (even if it if not on the official maintenence schedule) to get the metal shavings from the break-in process out of the oil and filter.
Hi mmarshall, Just thought that I'd get back to you in regards to the results of our recent jaunt, and how we feel the Murano performed, our likes and our dislikes.

First of all we traveled about 670 miles in total which included a lot of mountain driving, a number of passes, also some canyon carving, as well as low speed driving for scenery viewing. Our fuel mileage was in excess of 25, both calculated and per the fuel economy read out (25.1 going and 25.6 returning). We found that the readout and the hand calculating method to be within less than .1 MPG of each other, pretty accurate it seems, although time will tell. Also found that the speedo error is really small, as I compared it to my Garmin readout, we brought the Garmin along to compare against car systems including the nav, finding the on-board systems to be surprisingly accurate. The speedo error looks to be within less than 1% and it showed on the slow side.

As far as comfort and convenience, high marks. What we didn’t like; would sure like to have outside temp display independent of the trip computer, where you have to scroll through a number of other setting to get back to mileage, or distance. The seats, although very comfortable, could sure use some more side bolstering, they are relatively flat. When we were doing some spirited canyon driving lack of more side bolstering was very evident. Passenger seat could do with lumbar support – this per the Redhead who likes to ride shotgun. XM radio may be great in the plains states, but it sucks in the mountains, even trees seem to be able to block the signal. Other than those few gripes, we are, so far, very pleased with the Murano. The ride is quiet, even at freeway speeds, with very little, virtually imperceptible, wind noise to disturb the serenity. The electronics suite is a marvel, and the nav system is easy to operate whether through steering wheel controls, or voice recognition (which I’m still learning – old dog, new tricks ya know). The Bose radio system is good, certainly better sound quality than the standard Lexus system we had on our RX. The A/C system could double as refrigeration in a meat locker – it took us a bit to find just the right settings for interior temp, but then it kept us cozy. Back-up camera continues to amaze, makes parking very easy. I really like the distance guidance lines provided when backing.

So in general, no buyers remorse. And yes, I did get the oil changed, and compared with Lexus, the cost was quite a shock - $35 vs. $135 – OK, so the Redhead didn’t get her chocolates, and they didn’t hand dry the car, I can live with that. Besides, with the savings, I bought the Redhead a whole box of premium chocolates so she’s happy!

Quick Reply: Review: 2009 Nissan Murano LE