Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

GM May Change Logo (Green) Update pg 2: No Change to GM Logo

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-09 | 01:22 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
Ummm where can I buy that T-Shirt?
Maybe in China, where it's made.
Old 07-09-09 | 01:40 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Here we so again.....back to the old "image" crap. Nothing but a silly PR move. And you wonder why I lay it on the auto marketing buisness so much.
Old 07-09-09 | 04:29 PM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

Why this is such a suprise is beyond me...UAL Corp and Delta Air both changed their entire corporate branding during Ch.11. Yes it costs money, but anybody who doesn't see value in a companies image is just delusional and blind. PR is not "stupid", and honestly to say such is just ignorance from somebody who has no understanding of the field.

But let's be honest, why don't we? This company can do nothing right according to some of you. Let me guess? You were all partial to your import from the start, weren't you? You will use any piece of information to justify your blind hatred. If Toyota were changing their logo to Blue (aka Prius logo), you'd all be hailing it as the smartest thing ever...But this is the evil GM we are talking about here. This is just getting more transparent every day that goes by.
Old 07-09-09 | 04:44 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

yea its wrong to be mad at a company that flushed $50B of our money down the toilet, what was I thinking, sorry GM! I'll be sure you buy one of your crappy cars again because I feel sorry for you GM.
Old 07-09-09 | 04:59 PM
LexFather

Look people are stupid. I say rename the entire company and all the brands. Start over. People will simply accept the new models and love them. No sense hanging on to the GM name.....

Their products are improving so might as well rename it all!
Old 07-09-09 | 07:24 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by FKL
Why this is such a suprise is beyond me...UAL Corp and Delta Air both changed their entire corporate branding during Ch.11. Yes it costs money, but anybody who doesn't see value in a companies image is just delusional and blind. PR is not "stupid", and honestly to say such is just ignorance from somebody who has no understanding of the field.

But let's be honest, why don't we? This company can do nothing right according to some of you. Let me guess? You were all partial to your import from the start, weren't you? You will use any piece of information to justify your blind hatred. If Toyota were changing their logo to Blue (aka Prius logo), you'd all be hailing it as the smartest thing ever...But this is the evil GM we are talking about here. This is just getting more transparent every day that goes by.
I think you fail to see the point I was making. I wasn't knocking the "image" factor just for its own sake, but for the way it is often used to try and B.S. people, and to try and sell an idea rather than an actual product. GM is in the buisness of selling cars, not signs or logos. Nobody cares what color their company logo is....or will be. You mentioned airlines......same principle. Airlines are in the buisness of moving people and their luggage on airliners, not selling image or logos. In fact, I can remember, back in the late 60's, when long-defunct Braniff Airlines tried exactly that...a new corporate image by painting all of their planes in different, solid, light-pastel shades. Each plane was a different color (out of some 7 or 8 different ones), with a white tail. A lot of people laughed, and even some air-traffic-controllers (who, with their difficult, no-nonsense jobs, are normally as sober and serious as anyone you'd want to see) were making jokes.

And, to give you a personal example, I do happen to like the Subaru logo

but that's not why I bought an Outback. Subaru sold me what what's UNDER that nice blue-and-white sign, not the sign itself. I would have bought one even if the logo looked like a dog turd.

Don't get me wrong, FKL. I'm not trying to sound arrogant or argumentative.....I respect your opinions. But I just wanted to point out that there are two sides here.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-09-09 at 08:01 PM.
Old 07-09-09 | 09:07 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Look people are stupid. I say rename the entire company and all the brands. Start over. People will simply accept the new models and love them. No sense hanging on to the GM name.....
name the new company "fml" cuz that's what they've done to all of us.

maybe the logo being green is fitting because it has cost the taxpayers and future generations 50 billion in green AND COUNTING.

and since the 'new' company will be majority govt owned it will still be under NO obligation to make money which is not only a crime against the taxpayer, but it's also a crime against other companies who must compete without unlimited printed money.
Old 07-09-09 | 09:53 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
lol, especially the first sentence, about the execs at GM occupying mahogany row over the last decade.
Old 07-09-09 | 10:30 PM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

i bet they are going to print hundreds of thousands of posters and such to let people know about the changes theyve made...
Old 07-09-09 | 10:43 PM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I think you fail to see the point I was making. I wasn't knocking the "image" factor just for its own sake, but for the way it is often used to try and B.S. people, and to try and sell an idea rather than an actual product. GM is in the buisness of selling cars, not signs or logos. Nobody cares what color their company logo is....or will be. You mentioned airlines......same principle. Airlines are in the buisness of moving people and their luggage on airliners, not selling image or logos. In fact, I can remember, back in the late 60's, when long-defunct Braniff Airlines tried exactly that...a new corporate image by painting all of their planes in different, solid, light-pastel shades. Each plane was a different color (out of some 7 or 8 different ones), with a white tail. A lot of people laughed, and even some air-traffic-controllers (who, with their difficult, no-nonsense jobs, are normally as sober and serious as anyone you'd want to see) were making jokes.
You are approaching this in a grossly simplistic manner that is detached from any sort of business reality, a reality in which your brand equity alone can be hundreds of billions of dollars. This is not something to casually approach on an internet forum with some rambling about how you personally buy a car. That honestly doesn't even make sense, and neither does the idea that branding and marketing has no effect on a consumers purchasing habits - get real.

I have no idea what you are talking about regarding airline liveries, and frankly from what you have said I don't think you do either. The paintjob on the plane, the branding across an global network, and even employee uniforms is not something to simply write off like you have above. United Airlines spent months and millions of dollars on creating new corporate branding, airplane liveries and award winning television commercials upon their exit from Ch. 11 in 2006 to simply position their brand. This corporate image lasts for more than a decade in most cases, so to scoff at branding proposals like changing your [decades old] logo is just ignorance on your part.

Last edited by FKL; 07-09-09 at 10:50 PM.
Old 07-09-09 | 11:17 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

I said a while a ago that Ford should change their logo to reflect their new direction and success.

Changing the GM logo to green can only do wonders for GM. I bet Ford will follow suit with a logo change if GM does it.
Old 07-10-09 | 06:00 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by FKL
You are approaching this in a grossly simplistic manner that is detached from any sort of business reality, a reality in which your brand equity alone can be hundreds of billions of dollars. This is not something to casually approach on an internet forum with some rambling about how you personally buy a car. That honestly doesn't even make sense, and neither does the idea that branding and marketing has no effect on a consumers purchasing habits - get real.
I disagree. It has no effect on customers who THINK. And more and more customers are doing that these days. That, my friend, is buisness reality.

I have no idea what you are talking about regarding airline liveries, and frankly from what you have said I don't think you do either. The paintjob on the plane, the branding across an global network, and even employee uniforms is not something to simply write off like you have above. United Airlines spent months and millions of dollars on creating new corporate branding, airplane liveries and award winning television commercials upon their exit from Ch. 11 in 2006 to simply position their brand. This corporate image lasts for more than a decade in most cases, so to scoff at branding proposals like changing your [decades old] logo is just ignorance on your part.
Nope. It is not ignorance. I stand by the statement. You just blew your own arguement. If UAL had spent that money on improvements in maintenence, new planes, and more fool-proof baggage directing instead of cosmetics and images, they would probably be better off. Many customer airline complaints center around delays (often caused by aircraft service problems) and lost baggage. hat color uniforms the airline employes wear, or what color the planes and logo are painted, pale in comparison. I spent 32 years in aviation-related work with the FAA, and know what is involved in flight safety.

Originally Posted by FKL
OK...I'll BE honest. GM, Toyota, Subaru, VW, it makes no difference with me. The same principle applies no matter what auto company we're talking about.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-10-09 at 06:23 AM.
Old 07-10-09 | 06:06 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by FKL

most are just haters or piling on....

and if they don't change anything people will be *****ing about why they didn't change their logo.

Last edited by bagwell; 07-10-09 at 06:10 AM.
Old 07-10-09 | 06:18 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bagwell
most are just haters or piling on....

and if they don't change anything people will be *****ing about why they didn't change their logo.
No, I don't think there would be much griping at all. Experience has shown that more people are concerned about performance and quality than image or logos.

But, back on the thread topic (the GM logo) there's a old saying......"If it ain't broke, don't fix it". GM is what was broke, and needs fixing, not the logo.

Of course, I realize that some posters, especially FKL ,do not agree with me, so, let's see if the green logo helps GM or not. Time will tell who is correct, and if it makes a difference.......providing, of course, that GM goes through with it.
Old 07-10-09 | 09:06 AM
Overclocker
G35x - RWD/AWD goodness
CL Folding 500000

Default No Change to GM Logo in Works, Says GM CEO

DETROIT — Don't look for the classic General Motors logo to undergo an extreme make-over, said GM President and CEO Fritz Henderson in his Friday morning press conference. "It's not in my plans," Henderson said.

Rampant speculation by media this week, including such outlets as the Associated Press and Bloomberg, predicted that GM would swap the blue background on its square corporate logo for green to illustrate that it is a leaner and greener company.

"People have a lot of creative ideas," Henderson said in response to a question about tinkering with the logo. "It's not on my desk to change and I don't have any plans to change it."

When asked if the automaker plans any kind of new advertising campaign for the new General Motors, Henderson said, "In general, our money needs to be put behind our four brands."

He said GM Vice Chairman Bob Lutz has "reviews scheduled for Monday" regarding advertising and marketing campaigns.

Inside Line says: Don't look for any dramatic changes to GM's corporate identity just yet. — Anita Lienert, Correspondent
Source: http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...cleId=152426#2

Quick Reply: GM May Change Logo (Green) Update pg 2: No Change to GM Logo