Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

GM May Change Logo (Green) Update pg 2: No Change to GM Logo

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-09, 09:17 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 793 Likes on 556 Posts

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if they let the potential change leak so they could gauge public reactions
Old 07-10-09, 09:23 AM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I think you fail to see the point I was making. I wasn't knocking the "image" factor just for its own sake, but for the way it is often used to try and B.S. people, and to try and sell an idea rather than an actual product. GM is in the buisness of selling cars, not signs or logos. Nobody cares what color their company logo is....or will be. .
Well most of the stuff you say on this forum makes sense. You got it wrong in this case. Automakers are in the business of selling cars, service, the badge, and the experience. That is why TOYOTA has a LEXUS division. Strip off all the body work on anyone's favorite LEXUS and you will see that LEXUS vehicles are stamped TOYOTA on the guts.

Also LEXUS does a pretty good job of selling the LEXUS experience when you walk into their dealership.

TOYOTA and LEXUS already have modified logos for certain cars.

Branding is one of the most important things for a company. Companies pay a lot of money to get it right.
Old 07-10-09, 09:27 AM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by FKL
But let's be honest, why don't we? This company can do nothing right according to some of you. Let me guess? You were all partial to your import from the start, weren't you? You will use any piece of information to justify your blind hatred. If Toyota were changing their logo to Blue (aka Prius logo), you'd all be hailing it as the smartest thing ever...But this is the evil GM we are talking about here. This is just getting more transparent every day that goes by.
GM can only gain from changing their corporate logo. There was a big issue a few years ago about the lack of GM logo on their cars. GM wanted people to know that the Pontiac or Corvette came from GM so they slapped a tiny little GM logo on the doors.
Old 07-10-09, 11:20 AM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by YARIS!

Stupidest idea I've heard this week.

And isn't blue just as "ecological" as green anyway? Lexus uses blue in their badge on hybrids. The whole sky and the ocean is blue (or represented by blue).
I always thought the blue in the Lexus badge represents new technology.

Toyota does use a lot of green in their print ads.

Old 07-10-09, 01:49 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by pagemaster
Well most of the stuff you say on this forum makes sense. You got it wrong in this case. Automakers are in the business of selling cars, service, the badge, and the experience. That is why TOYOTA has a LEXUS division. Strip off all the body work on anyone's favorite LEXUS and you will see that LEXUS vehicles are stamped TOYOTA on the guts.

TOYOTA and LEXUS already have modified logos for certain cars.

OK, fine. You say that I am wrong. You're entitled to your opinion (and I respect that), but show me ONE thing that has actually changed UNDERNEATH those new blue/chrome badges. It is EXACTLY the same Toyota and Lexus that was sold formerly with the all-chrome logos.

It will be the same in GM's case....whether their vehicles change underneath a new Green logo has nothing to do with the logo itself. It actually has more to do with the new CAFE and Emission requirements. And the Government only regulates mileage/emissions, not logos.
Old 07-10-09, 01:58 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep I'm seeing the logo change as no BFD, and not making much diff.

But in the SJ Mercury today this was noted about GM's cleanup of dead wood:

"management ranks will be cut by 35 percent, or 450 executives, including the elimination of its North American president position"
Old 07-10-09, 02:40 PM
huddleston
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I thought this was funny

i want that shirt!!!
Old 07-10-09, 06:51 PM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

I disagree. It has no effect on customers who THINK. And more and more customers are doing that these days. That, my friend, is buisness reality.

Nope. It is not ignorance. I stand by the statement. You just blew your own arguement. If UAL had spent that money on improvements in maintenence, new planes, and more fool-proof baggage directing instead of cosmetics and images, they would probably be better off. Many customer airline complaints center around delays (often caused by aircraft service problems) and lost baggage. hat color uniforms the airline employes wear, or what color the planes and logo are painted, pale in comparison. I spent 32 years in aviation-related work with the FAA, and know what is involved in flight safety.

Please be better versed in a given subject if you want to continue acting like a bonafide expert in the field. UAL Corp. set aside nearly $200 million dollars a year after their exit from Ch. 11 to completely revamp their international premium product (lie flat Business seat, upgraded United First, new leather Economy seats), and international and domestic RCC lounges. United was using a livery from the early 90s and the corporate branding had since changed, not matching the logo font on the planes. You may think this means nothing, but to the brand, it means a lot. Advertising dollars and a new corporate image can undoubtedly be beneficial to a brand, which is exactly what UAL was after. Those commercial spots that they spent millions on, by the way, won countless awards. The idea that casually changing a given companies face to the world, i.e., it's logo, on a company as old as GM much less, means nothing, is totally and wholly nonsensical.

I think by now we all understand you have no idea what you are really talking about regarding marketing and/or brand equity, and that's fine, but please stop trying to act like your frankly hollow idea that consumers are somehow "above" a companies brand image is a real one. You seem to believe that every consumer makes purchasing decisions just like yourself, but you are painfully mistaken.

Last edited by FKL; 07-10-09 at 06:54 PM.
Old 07-10-09, 07:30 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by FKL
Please be better versed in a given subject if you want to continue acting like a bonafide expert in the field.
It's not a matter of being an "expert". Some things, such as the fact that logos don't determine company sales, are not only well-known, but simple common sense.

I think by now we all understand you have no idea what you are really talking about regarding marketing and/or brand equity, and that's fine, but please stop trying to act like your frankly hollow idea that consumers are somehow "above" a companies brand image is a real one. You seem to believe that every consumer makes purchasing decisions just like yourself, but you are painfully mistaken.
Well, for proof that logos and image don't work, never mind me. Just look at the economic mess we're in. There's your proof. GM, in a couple of decades, went from nearly 50% of the American auto market share to less than 18%....and bankrupcy; regardless of their logos or symbols. Why? Several reasons (including the UAW), but primarily a string of poor managers who had no idea how to run a large auto company. That is not just my so-called "misguided" or "mistaken" opinion, but an economic fact.

If you want to buy a vehicle based on logos or image, fine. But don't think that customers are going to follow a logo like kids behind the the Pied Piper.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-10-09 at 08:48 PM.
Old 07-10-09, 08:43 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

OK but show me ONE thing that has actually changed UNDERNEATH those new blue/chrome badges. It is EXACTLY the same Toyota and Lexus that was sold formerly with the all-chrome logos.
The Lexus LS460 and LS600h are not the same
The Lexus GS460 and GS450h are not the same
Lexus RX350 and RX450 are not the same

It will be the same in GM's case....whether their vehicles change underneath a new Green logo has nothing to do with the logo itself. It actually has more to do with the new CAFE and Emission requirements. And the Government only regulates mileage/emissions, not logos
I disagree. GM is trying to change and has actually tried really hard to shake the perception that their cars are bad. I think they are taking the advantage of this opportunity by doing this.
Old 07-10-09, 08:47 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

True, but the cars changed before the badges did......Apples and Oranges. One had nothing to do with the other. Lexus hybrid technology has been around for a couple of years.....long before the new blue logos.

I disagree. GM is trying to change and has actually tried really hard to shake the perception that their cars are bad. I think they are taking the advantage of this opportunity by doing this.
Of course they're changing. One doesn't need a new logo to note that, though.....and some new GM products are truly nice cars. Just go look at and drive a new Chevy Malibu, Saturn Aura, or Cadillac CTS, and you will see exactly what I mean.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-10-09 at 08:51 PM.
Old 07-10-09, 08:50 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Well, for proof that logos and image don't work, never mind me. Just look at the economic mess we're in. There's your proof. GM, in a couple of decades, went from nearly 50% of the American auto market share to less than 18%....and bankrupcy; regardless of their logos or symbols. Why?
Disagree here. GM changed the image of Cadillac. Cadillac used to have cars that were all different and were models like the Seville, Deville, Eldorado etc. They changed and branded their vehicles to become the CTS. STS. ETS..SRX..XLR...they all looked similar...When all these vehicles changed Cadillac actually kept the name Escalade. Why? because the name is huge and is well known.

for proof that logos and image don't work
When you buy a Toyota you buy the model...Camry, Tundra..etc (they are all different)...When you buy a Lexus you buy the branding ES. LS. GS.(they are all similar)
Old 07-10-09, 08:52 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

They need to change a lot more than the logo. I think its hilarious that they have been putting GM logo on the rear of the front fenders as if its some kind of honor to be driving a GM car
Old 07-10-09, 08:53 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

True, but the cars changed before the badges did......Apples and Oranges. One had nothing to do with the other. Lexus hybrid technology has been around for a couple of years.....long before the new blue logos.

How is it apples and oranges? A GS350/GS450 is like a Red Apple/Green Apple....The GS350/GS450 are both GS models but are different models...A red apple is different than a green apple but are both still apples. There is an Organic apple (GS350) and a Hybrid apple (GS450)
Old 07-10-09, 08:58 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

How is it apples and oranges? A GS350/GS450 is like a Red Apple/Green Apple....The GS350/GS450 are both GS models but are different models...A red apple is different than a green apple but are both still apples. There is an Organic apple (GS350) and a Hybrid apple (GS450)
I was referring to the hybrids you posted.............

You are correct that they are not the same. A hybrid powetrain is as different from a conventional one as day is from night.

Quick Reply: GM May Change Logo (Green) Update pg 2: No Change to GM Logo