Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

SC (soft-top) Successor & 2011 ISC-F being prepped ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-09, 10:18 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 224 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
same here, after sc430 and m3, i will never go back to soft top. i also hope the rumor is false, that'd take away so much class away from the sc lineup, not to mention the added noise from soft top when driving

and i think it's very odd for the sc to get soft top when the is-c are hardtops.. well, then again there is the 3 series hard top together with the 6 series soft top
But do you think the next 6-series convertible would still be a ragtop ?
Old 07-09-09, 10:25 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by pagemaster
The SC rumor likely has nothing much to it. If Lexus is going back to the drawing board then that means right now there is no SC successor being developed.

Lexus should be well into the development stage for the SC is there was in fact a replacement coming.
You can know for sure what stage of development it is in from rumours from internet and magazines ??

IS-F convertible I can see happening.
It would be VERY late at 2011 for a current generation IS-F convertible, I would rather be looking at a IS-F C for the next generation IS.
Old 07-09-09, 10:26 AM
LexFather

Total rumor. Let me remind folks the SC 300/400 was designed as a coupe only. Lexus did want to make it a convertible and MADE working softop models. They never were happy with cowl shake and the wind buffeting but they decided early that the next SC would be designed as a hardtop convert from the start.

Correct me if I am wrong but at that time I believe the only other hardtop convert was the Benz SLK.

There is no way Lexus is going to drop the hardtop and a NEW SC will be produced.

Old 07-09-09, 12:36 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

It would be truly strange that each gen of the SC would take a different route; coupe => hardtop 'vert => softtop...

Not to mention there would be a hardtop IS-C. And what about the durability/etc. of softtop vs. hardtop? Would Lexus really want to go that route just for weight savings? Especially considering that the aluminum used for the IS-C and its in-house fast mechanism already represents an improvement?

I wonder if C&D got its rumors right in this area. But at least now the rumors point to the 3SC and not it being discontinued; 2 press preview articles I've read about the IS-C quote 'Lexus representatives' as saying either the IS-C is replacing the discontinued SC; or the SC will be redesigned.
Old 07-09-09, 01:00 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Koma
I call BS.
The reason why the IS-C looks not so great is because it's a sedan platform that got turned into a convertible.

The SC, if it is "starting from scratch" shouldn't have any issues making a beautiful looking folding hardtop versus a soft-top. ... Soft-tops just don't cut it in this luxury game.
Second that; the only time a soft top cuts it is if the car is going for true sport & weight savings counts for performance.
Old 07-09-09, 01:29 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
But do you think the next 6-series convertible would still be a ragtop ?
that's my hope, that the next 6 series will be hard top
Old 07-09-09, 04:22 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 160 Likes on 118 Posts

little chance of expensive SC having softop and cheap IS-C having hard one...
Old 07-09-09, 04:24 PM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

Not totally unbelievable..after all both Audi and MB are retaining the soft top (or semi-soft top) convention.
Old 07-09-09, 07:14 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

A new SC would be nice, as the current one is getting long in the tooth. With the new IS-C's, it would seem wise to differentiate the two. The SC would move up the latter to become more of a MBZ SL/BMW 6 Series competitor. Its too soft right now, and seems like its made for cruising the boulevard than attacking the asphalt. I hope that if a new SC is in the works, it would get an array of engines. Perhaps the IS's DI V6, a few V8s (4.6 or 5.0), and dare I say a V10 from the LF-A. They could call it the SC-F. That would be nice. This is all wishful thinking of course! My $.02
Old 07-09-09, 07:15 PM
LexFather

Now that I've thought about it, I can see an IS-Fc debuting at Tokyo this fall as well...

IS-F "R" Lightweight?
Production LF-A
Toyota/Suburu car
Next Supra
IS-Fc
New GX
LS F-sport

Old 07-09-09, 07:18 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Now that I've thought about it, I can see an IS-Fc debuting at Tokyo this fall as well...

IS-F "R" Lightweight?
Production LF-A
Toyota/Suburu car
Next Supra
IS-Fc
New GX
LS F-sport
Whoa there, that would literally give any Lexus and Toyota fan joyous overload. I think they can dominate the lighter show with half that many, and frankly I'm expecting no more than that. They can spread out the other debuts and get maximum attention out of each, and also not cannibalize the spotlight from any one reveal at a single show. My 2 cents.
Old 07-09-09, 07:52 PM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
A new SC would be nice, as the current one is getting long in the tooth. With the new IS-C's, it would seem wise to differentiate the two. The SC would move up the latter to become more of a MBZ SL/BMW 6 Series competitor. Its too soft right now, and seems like its made for cruising the boulevard than attacking the asphalt. I hope that if a new SC is in the works, it would get an array of engines. Perhaps the IS's DI V6, a few V8s (4.6 or 5.0), and dare I say a V10 from the LF-A. They could call it the SC-F. That would be nice. This is all wishful thinking of course! My $.02
The SC has always been a luxury GT. The interior on the SC is still considered one of the most luxurious in the entire Lexus lineup. That by itself sets it apart from the ISc. Now a SC-F on the other hand should take on the likes of an M6, SL63 AMG. I consider the SC a competitor to the 6 series and SL, it might be a bit smaller looking but it's definitely a luxury GT like those cars are.
Old 07-09-09, 07:59 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by encore888
Whoa there, that would literally give any Lexus and Toyota fan joyous overload. I think they can dominate the lighter show with half that many, and frankly I'm expecting no more than that. They can spread out the other debuts and get maximum attention out of each, and also not cannibalize the spotlight from any one reveal at a single show. My 2 cents.
Well it seems Lexus/Toyota are well aware a lot of carmakers backed out for it (remember this show was almost canceled) so they are pulling out all the cards. From competitors I think the next Nissan FUga (our Infiniti M35 etc) will debut and from Honda maybe they surprise with a new NSX concept (surely not a production model). I heard the 2010 Acura MDX was pushed back, maybe for the TAS release (all its getting is that dumbass beak) and teh production ZDX should be shown.

Old 07-09-09, 09:59 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

There's still hope for a new Supra when not too long ago, Toyota executive said the market wants hybrids, not sports cars ?

http://www.autobloggreen.com/2009/02...ot-sportscars/
Old 07-10-09, 05:47 AM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
There's still hope for a new Supra when not too long ago, Toyota executive said the market wants hybrids, not sports cars ?

http://www.autobloggreen.com/2009/02...ot-sportscars/
I prefer to believe the company president than an "executive".

I might be a lil' delusional, overly optimistic, but w/e