Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

SC (soft-top) Successor & 2011 ISC-F being prepped ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-09, 11:41 PM
ren495
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SC (soft-top) Successor & 2011 ISC-F being prepped ?

http://www.4wheelsnews.com/breaking-...will-be-built/

reports are coming out saying a droptop IS-F is coming. 2011 seems like a reasonable date. But wouldn't that be the next gen IS? Next gen is supposed to come out in 2011, would not make sense to put out a previous gen ISC-F that same year too.

So could the run for the current IS-C last only a few years? That would be nice, because though I've yet to see one in real life, I'm not thrilled with its looks.
Old 07-08-09, 11:44 PM
ren495
Pole Position

btw, it also says there will be a next gen soft-top SC (soft top for better styling)

How credible is that site? Where do they get the info?
Old 07-09-09, 12:15 AM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The rumors that have been picked up by Autoblog, other sites are from 'insiders' quoted in Car & Driver...regarding the IS-F convert and a softtop SC...their accuracy, depends on the source/writer...
Old 07-09-09, 03:59 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not believing it. The IS-C already weighs 400 lbs more than the sedan. How can a ISF-C weigh much less than the sedan? The ISF-C will have to have, yet again, more structural bracing than the standard convertible due to the huge torque from the V8.
Old 07-09-09, 07:39 AM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

Default SC (soft-top) Successor being prepped

While the Lexus IS C is enjoying strong early sales and the luxury Toyota marque prepares to launch a version with the 5.0-liter V8 from the IS F, the top-of-the-line SC 430 grows increasingly irrelevant and long-in-the-tooth. However, contrary to reports that surfaced this time last year – 'tis the season for convertibles, after all – Lexus is indeed planning a successor to the range-topping coupe-cabrio.

Reports indicate that, far from the IS C replacing the aging SC 430, a clean-slate successor to the big roadster is in the planning stages. Because the SC has been around so long, Toyota's designers and engineers are reportedly going back to the drawing board. What they're apparently coming up with eschews the current model's complex folding hard top – one of the first on the market after the Mitsubishi 3000GT VR4 Spyder and Mercedes SLK – in favor of a simpler, lighter folding soft top.

With a new SC 430, an IS F convertible and a potential LF-A roadster all in the pipeline, the forecast looks sunny for Lexus.
(Courtesy of Autoblog via. Car and Driver)

If this is true. Soft-top and larger SC = AWESOMENESS!! Lets take on the Bentley Continental GTC
Old 07-09-09, 07:45 AM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

If also this happens I hope they use a retuned IS-F engine or at least a retuned LF-A/GF-F/SS550 engine
Old 07-09-09, 07:46 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 218 Likes on 146 Posts

I don't see myself getting one if it's a soft-top, I hope it's only a false rumour ...

The Bentley Continental GT at least have 2 versions, a non-convertible coupe and a ragtop, I would rather have the coupe than the ragtop ...

Last edited by Gojirra99; 07-09-09 at 07:55 AM.
Old 07-09-09, 07:54 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Lexus would never do a soft top. This has to be false.

And how could the premium SC have a soft top while the IS-C has a hard top??

And remember that SC commercial a few years back where they stressed how there's nothing "Lexus" about a rag top?
Koma

I call BS.
The reason why the IS-C looks not so great is because it's a sedan platform that got turned into a convertible.

The SC, if it is "starting from scratch" shouldn't have any issues making a beautiful looking folding hardtop versus a soft-top. Soft-tops are cheap and ugly in my opinion. A lower model having a folding hardtop than a more expensive model having a soft-top is terrible. Soft-tops just don't cut it in this luxury game.

PS: merge threads?
lex
Lexus Test Driver

yeah, soft-top would suck. IMO
Old 07-09-09, 08:02 AM
PAULGS430
Lexus Test Driver

It would be great if the SC lived on. The 1st gen SC was a show stopper in terms of styling. I really hope they make this car.
Old 07-09-09, 09:47 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 189 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
I don't see myself getting one if it's a soft-top, I hope it's only a false rumour ...

The Bentley Continental GT at least have 2 versions, a non-convertible coupe and a ragtop, I would rather have the coupe than the ragtop ...
same here, after sc430 and m3, i will never go back to soft top. i also hope the rumor is false, that'd take away so much class away from the sc lineup, not to mention the added noise from soft top when driving

and i think it's very odd for the sc to get soft top when the is-c are hardtops.. well, then again there is the 3 series hard top together with the 6 series soft top
Old 07-09-09, 09:48 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by YARIS!
Lexus would never do a soft top. This has to be false.
The LF-A convertible is a soft-top...

I wouldn't mind that.
Old 07-09-09, 10:01 AM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by encore888
The rumors that have been picked up by Autoblog, other sites are from 'insiders' quoted in Car & Driver...regarding the IS-F convert and a softtop SC...their accuracy, depends on the source/writer...
The SC rumor likely has nothing much to it. If Lexus is going back to the drawing board then that means right now there is no SC successor being developed.

Lexus should be well into the development stage for the SC is there was in fact a replacement coming.

IS-F convertible I can see happening.
Old 07-09-09, 10:17 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 218 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
The LF-A convertible is a soft-top...

I wouldn't mind that.
But the other report says they are not making a LF-A convertible at all, so it doesn't matter ...

Quick Reply: SC (soft-top) Successor & 2011 ISC-F being prepped ?