Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Hyundai:The New Lexus Competitor

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-09, 10:18 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Coupe or sedan, it arent no BMW, but its a good copy cat of something, thats for sure.
Old 07-22-09, 10:25 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 222 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by meowCat
READ YEH's post again - [/i]
He said Genesis COUPE. Genesis Sedan isn't the only model available in Hyundai line up. Read more carefully before jumping into conclusions. I know you love to find ways to put down Hyundai but at least try to read the contents and think before posting. (No pun intended to rominl)

I don't know whether it's the coupe or sedan that rominl drove, but just saying genesis can mean it's the coupe or the sedan or both, so maybe you shouldn't jump to conclusions either
Old 07-22-09, 10:27 AM
LexFather

Yeh, you are wrong about the LS. Unlike Hyundai, Lexus invested over 1 billion dollars in the 1980s to create the F-1 program for the LS. It was designed as a Lexus from day ONE. It debuted as a Lexus in Europe, Asia, America as a LS from day one. Only in Japan was it rebadged a Toyota.

I am going to be honest don't come across as a Hyundai fanboy and you are here only to promote Hyundai. I love what they have done but they still have a long way to go. I truly understand why some people might not like it for a multitude of reasons.

I don't think you or G man are going to agree here.

Old 07-22-09, 10:28 AM
LexFather

Yeh, you are wrong about the LS. Unlike Hyundai, Lexus invested over 1 billion dollars in the 1980s to create the F-1 program for the LS. It was designed as a Lexus from day ONE. It debuted as a Lexus in Europe, Asia, America as a LS from day one. Only in Japan was it rebadged a Toyota.

I am going to be honest don't come across as a Hyundai fanboy and you are here only to promote Hyundai. I love what they have done but they still have a long way to go. I truly understand why some people might not like it for a multitude of reasons.

I don't think you or G man are going to agree here.

Old 07-22-09, 10:35 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 222 Likes on 150 Posts

no..... cause I clearly remember rominl saying he test drove the Genesis Sedan. Sedan is not equal to Coupe in terms of ride, handling, and speed.

Yea, Genesis makes both Sedan and Coupe but you can't just bunch them together for determining handling characteristics.
He didn't say that in his last post, & as I said, I don't know whether he had driven the coupe, but yes you are still just assuming he has never driven it .

It's like when someone criticize BMW here, and someone would say, go drive it first, and it's the wrong assumption that everyone who doesn't like BMW's as much as he does must not have driven them ...

Last edited by Gojirra99; 07-22-09 at 10:40 AM.
Old 07-22-09, 11:41 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

I am not a big fan of BMW either, but to say the Genesis couple drives like a BMW is stretch thing a bit, much like those Hyundai commercials.
Old 07-22-09, 12:24 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

READ YEH's post again - [/i]
He said Genesis COUPE. Genesis Sedan isn't the only model available in Hyundai line up. Read more carefully before jumping into conclusions. I know you love to find ways to put down Hyundai but at least try to read the contents and think before posting. (No pun intended to rominl)

yeah i have driven both the sedan and coupe and i personally don't think either of them resemble anything about bmw in terms of driving. the coupe of course drives better, but i still call it on the numb side. when i drove the sedan the coupe wasn't out yet, and i didn't really post about my coupe experience (coz' honestly, i wasn't too impressed) it's all good, i didn't say it clearly anyway

and fwiw, i actually give hyundai so much respect about their genesis (both sedan and coupe). whether i will own one of these i am not sure, but for sure they have done one heck of a job
Old 07-22-09, 02:01 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
genesis steering with bmw feel?! i don't know what "higher" trim is that, but the genesis i drove, the steering feel was far from anything like bmw. if anything it's probably more like lexus, with even slower response time
Drive the Genesis Coupe 3.8L track model, and sample the steering, brakes, chassis, and drivetrain. You won't know it from a good BMW.

If you read my review of the 3.8 Track model, and its comparison to the Infiniti G37 coupe, I described all this in detail.

If you sample the 3.8 Track model and still don't agree, then fine.....opinions differ. To my senses, it was the closest non-BMW to a BMW I've seen yet.
Old 07-23-09, 06:18 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

But shouldnt you compare the Hyundai track models to BMW's M series. Surely you are not going to tell me this Hyundai perform as well as the M3.
Old 07-23-09, 11:17 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

don't worry, no offense taken at all. for the sedan i test drove the v8, i don't really care about the v6 version at all. on the sedan i didn't feel much handling advantage over the LS at all, and as i mentioned i think steering response is not as crisp as the LS. and just my opinion i think the gs is a lot more fun to drive

on the coupe, i don't know, i guess i had too much hope so i was more disappointed afterward? i mean it's not a sloppy machine, but personally i don't think it's anything close to bmw. i am not really comparing it to the m3 already (m3 far superior on handling and power imho). comparing it to the 335i i have driven, i feel the 335i steering is more responsive, tighter, and more precise as well. and the bmw also gives me a bit more "planted" feel. again it could be feeling, numbers on the track might show the genesis coupe might be close to what the 335 can do, but considering we mostly do normal street driving, i usually give "driving feel" more weight

in any case we should try to get back on track on what this thread is about. on the new cars hyundai coming out that competes with lexus or other luxury brands, like the equua, i think it's going to be very interesting. at that level, performance is on aspect but imho not a strong aspect. customers would look for different things in that segment, like comfort, smoothness, quietness, amenities, etc... and i think hyundai might be able to get quite some points there!
Old 07-23-09, 12:34 PM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Drive the Genesis Coupe 3.8L track model, and sample the steering, brakes, chassis, and drivetrain. You won't know it from a good BMW.
One area the budget-priced Genesis Coupe doesn't match the BMW is in overall fit/finish and build quality. Don't get me wrong, a nice car, but the overall heft of everything, from the doors to the door pulls, is obviously not in BMW-territory. There's a reason why a 328i costs so much more, and it's not just becuase it is from Germany.
Old 07-23-09, 12:41 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

That wouldn't be a fair comparison as they are not in the same price category. The M3 costs nearly 70k(loaded) while the loaded Genesis Coupe runs at 31k? That's more than twice the cost difference. However, for just performance comparison the Coupe 3.8 Track should be compared to 335i.

They are both street coupes that is modified for high performance, I say thats a fair comparision. If you start comparing pricing at $31K, then you should compare the Genesis to the Camry
Old 07-27-09, 02:02 PM
YEH
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
Coupe or sedan, it arent no BMW, but its a good copy cat of something, thats for sure.
Like the LS was a copycat of the S Class?

Now styling and chassis-wise I'm a bit disappointed that the Genesis Coupe is so much like the Infiniti G37. One of the characteristics that really threw me off is the "long wheelbase" that the GeneCoupe has.
One could say styling-wise, the G35 is similar to the Tiburon (all 3 really don't share anything but the general coupe shape).

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I'm well aware of all that (so Hyundai invested $550 billion for the Genesis, while not the LS investment, not bad for something not in the flagship class).

Nonetheless, the Celsior wasn't even the flagship of Toyota's fleet. Not only did the Century outclass it, but the Crown Majesta was rated (class-wise) above the Celsior.

Originally Posted by The G Man
I am not a big fan of BMW either, but to say the Genesis couple drives like a BMW is stretch thing a bit, much like those Hyundai commercials.
No one is saying that the coupe drives like a BMW, however, a no. of auto reviewers have stated that the steering feel is like BMW (don't make it more than what it is to try to prove your point).

In fact, Jalopnik (no fan of Hyundai products) stated in its review that the GenCoupe's steering feel was even better than that for the 3 Series (which has become overboosted recently) and very similar to that of Porsche.

Now, I don't know if I completely buy that, but w/ accolades like that, one can't deny that Hyundai, at least, did a good job w/ the steering feel.
Old 07-27-09, 02:06 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by YEH
Like the LS was a copycat of the S Class?
Care to elaborate a bit on this statement?
Old 07-27-09, 02:21 PM
Trexus

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by YEH
I'm well aware of all that (so Hyundai invested $550 billion for the Genesis, while not the LS investment, not bad for something not in the flagship class).

Nonetheless, the Celsior wasn't even the flagship of Toyota's fleet. Not only did the Century outclass it, but the Crown Majesta was rated (class-wise) above the Celsior.
I really doubt Hyundai invested half a trillion dollars on the Genesis. No company in the whole entire world has even had revenues that high. In 2008 Royal Dutch Shell had gross revenues of $458 billion and that was the highest revenue for any company in the whole entire world.

The Celsior was a rebadged LS. I don't think it was suppose to outclass the Toyota Century or the Majesta. Currently Japan now has Lexus which is the luxury division of Toyota.

Quick Reply: Hyundai:The New Lexus Competitor