Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Three Strikes and You're Out- New Florida Drivers Law

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-09, 07:41 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JonSC4
Agreed
Originally Posted by D.Jobin
Thank god! Our drivers are the worst.
Agreed. I thought California drivers were bad until I moved here.

BTW, D.Jobin, I was driving behind you last night on Westview around 6:00 PM. Nice ride!
Old 07-11-09, 07:45 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Lil4X
mmarshall makes a good point, it's not just the frequency, but also the severity of accidents that condemns young (under 25) drivers to pay high insurance premiums.

[*] Testosterone - A good part of the teen outlook is driven by machismo. That's why you can't let anyone pass you, cut you off, or otherwise interfere with your personal Weltsraum (living space). That applies doubly on the road, where your car is an extension of you. There are all kinds of Freudian symbols here, but the sexual psychology of a young male is usually reflected in his driving.

Here is an absolutely perfect example. Just happened yesterday. 5 teen-agers killed because a young 19-year-old kid, on a suspended license, tried to beat a train across a railroad crossing.

http://news.aol.com/article/lives-lo...-tracks/564797
Old 07-11-09, 11:09 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Baja's a pretty harsh, desolate environment, isn't it? Perhaps that's one reason why people are careful there....seems like that wouldn't be a very agreeable place to be stuck in an accident.
Yes, much of Baja is pretty harsh environment, actually very similar to many of the huge expanses of the Western states of the US.

I do know after driving in several countries that the US has consistently some of the poorest drivers in the Western world. As indicated by other posters, US drivers licensing is a joke from a driver skill and knowledge requirement perspective.
Old 07-11-09, 01:30 PM
varcity64
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i skimmed this article and think its 100% reasonable... 3 tickets related to crashes in 3 years is a LOT
Old 07-11-09, 03:06 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
I do know after driving in several countries that the US has consistently some of the poorest drivers in the Western world. As indicated by other posters, US drivers licensing is a joke from a driver skill and knowledge requirement perspective.
I can't comment much about today's tests, because I haven't taken one, but when I got my regular license in 1968, the county cop who took me on the driving test and gave me my license was quite thorough, no-nonsense, and didn't cut corners. He passed me, but documented the few errors I did make, such as not noticing a one-way sign until he pointed it out.

Same with the FAA Flight Examiner who gave me my Private Pilot's license. I had to prove I that knew what I was doing to get that ticket.
Old 07-11-09, 06:06 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I can't comment much about today's tests, because I haven't taken one, but when I got my regular license in 1968, the county cop who took me on the driving test and gave me my license was quite thorough, no-nonsense, and didn't cut corners. He passed me, but documented the few errors I did make, such as not noticing a one-way sign until he pointed it out.
Very similar experience here in California in 1971 (administered by Department of Motor Vehicles), still not up to the standards of European driving test that my mother took several years later.