Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Review: 2009 Toyota Land Cruiser

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-09, 08:22 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 220 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Nice review Mike.

So, you think that vehicles like this may not be around after 4-5 years? Even though there is a niche, do you think the LC/LX will live on?

When the LC was up for a redesign, I thought that it was gonna get the ax; with the LX570 taking it's place. Surprisingly, the LC and the LX were introduced at the same time, with almost the same price tag and little differentiation other than some wood trim and luxury amenities. Was that a good move on ToMoCo's part? Should they just have stuck with the LX only in the U.S?
It's LX only & no LC in Canada since they introduced the LX more than a decade ago. I think Toyota Canada figured there is not a big market for a LC since it's already very expensive, and the LX is not too much more.

Thanks for the nice, detailed review as usual mmarshall
Just hypothetically, if you need such a vehicle, would you pay more to get the LX instead ?
I personally like the exterior appearance of the LC more than the LX, but I prefer the more plush interior of the LX, though not necessarily the interior design.
Old 07-12-09, 08:29 AM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
It's LX only & no LC in Canada since they introduced the LX more than a decade ago. I think Toyota Canada figured there is not a big market for a LC since it's already very expensive, and the LX is not too much more.
I think Toyota could sell the Land Cruiser in Canada. There is a big gap between a full loaded Sequoia $68k and a fully loaded Lx570 at $98k....Toyota Canada could price the Land Cruiser right in there at $81k right where the Range Rover sport starts.
Old 07-12-09, 09:54 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by LexusChris
Thanks for the review Mike,
Sure...Anytime.

there is not too many reviews around for the new Land Cruiser,
Like most of my reviews, I did this one by specific CL member request.

it's interesting to see more LX570s out on the road than the Land Cruiser.
Probably because some people think that if you're going to spend the kind of money a Land Cruiser costs, you might as well just add a few K more (not that much) and get the Lexus.
Old 07-12-09, 10:07 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
Thanks for the nice, detailed review as usual mmarshall
Sure. Anytime.

Just hypothetically, if you need such a vehicle, would you pay more to get the LX instead ?
Well, to some extent, a moot point, because even though I could probably afford a more expensive car, I personally, for a number of reasons, wouldn't put more than about 35K or so into a new vehicle, which is half of what an LC runs.

But, to answer your question directly, if I did, I'd probably go with the LC. Its interior is plenty plush for me (though, as I said in the review, the seat leather could be a little smoother), and I like its light-blue dash lights as much or more as the typical Lexus white electroluminescent lighting. I also see little or no need for the LX570's trick electronic height-adjustable suspension (something the LC lacks) except for some of the toughest off-road conditions, which of course, most drivers never see.
Old 07-13-09, 07:17 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Next planned Review, by CL member request: Volvo XC90

The other planned, CL-requested reviews: 2010 Ford Taurus, BMW 550i, Buick LaCrosse, Lexus HS250, and (possibly) BMW 750i are on hold awaiting local availability.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-13-09 at 07:28 PM.
Old 07-14-09, 07:03 AM
LexFather

Great review on it but damn that MSRP is eye opening!

Old 07-14-09, 07:24 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

thats why most people go for the LX570. Even the LX470 outsold the landcruiser in the last gen. Youre already spending 65k, just throw in another 10k and get the lexus version which is a lot better.
Old 07-14-09, 09:35 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Great review on it but damn that MSRP is eye opening!
Thanks.

When you look at how this vehicle is designed, constructed, and the level of equipment it provides, you can (perhaps) understand the MSRP, though, granted, it is far more than I would ever spend on a new vehicle.
Old 07-14-09, 10:49 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

While still expensive, you can get $5,000 - $8,000 off MSRP pretty easily.
Old 07-14-09, 12:10 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

EPA Mileage Rating: 13 City, 18 Highway
Green house gas much?
Old 07-14-09, 05:30 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
Green house gas much?
Because the Land Cruiser is legally a truck, it avoids the Federal Gas Guzzler Tax.
Old 07-14-09, 06:43 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Because the Land Cruiser is legally a truck, it avoids the Federal Gas Guzzler Tax.
And I feel like that is the problem. So automakers keep putting out these huge vehicles with more and more power. But is the need really there? No. A Landcruiser does not need to hit 60 MPH in 6.8 seconds. I think its great that the 5.7L can put out more than 400 ft lbs of torque, but a diesel would do the job better.

Long story short, gasoline engines are becoming more and more efficient, but those efficiency gains are being negated by increase power output to a level it does not need to be at.
Old 07-14-09, 10:18 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

But is the need really there?
In North America yes. The Land Cruiser in the rest of the world is sold with the 4.7 (soon to be 4.5) gas and the 4.5 diesel. The Land Cruiser in North America needs the 5.7 to be taken seriously when there are 400hp Escalades, 500hp Range Rover coming soon etc.

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
Long story short, gasoline engines are becoming more and more efficient, but those efficiency gains are being negated by increase power output to a level it does not need to be at.
The 4.7 and 5.7 are about the same MPG and are both Ultra Low.
Old 07-14-09, 10:19 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I am curious as to how the Land Cruiser is legally a truck?

Is the Sequoia the same?
Old 07-15-09, 06:20 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by pagemaster
I am curious as to how the Land Cruiser is legally a truck?

Is the Sequoia the same?
Yes, the Sequoia is also a truck. It is a dervitive of the Toyota Tundra.

Car/Truck classifications are rather complex, but done by regulations at three Government organizations....EPA, DOT, and NHTSA (consult their web sites for details). And vehicle size (compact, mid-size, full-size, etc....) is done by measuring INTERIOR volume, not exterior size. That is why the Prius, a small car on the outside, is legally a mid-sized car.

Quick Reply: Review: 2009 Toyota Land Cruiser