Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Review: 2009 Toyota Land Cruiser

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-09, 04:52 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pagemaster
In North America yes. The Land Cruiser in the rest of the world is sold with the 4.7 (soon to be 4.5) gas and the 4.5 diesel. The Land Cruiser in North America needs the 5.7 to be taken seriously when there are 400hp Escalades, 500hp Range Rover coming soon etc.
Ah, but now you can get the green Escalade hybrid.

I guess my whole point is that all of these big machines have well more than ample power and are exempt from gas guzzler charges. I don't think that this should be the case anymore. Call me controlling, but I just don't think these large SUVs need to go accelerate this quickly. I understand the certain need from a gasoline engine to have a decent towing capacity, but anymore demand should be met through a diesel. That goes for Ford, Chevy, Toyota, and the like. As a planet, we are using more oil than we need to be.

Charge tax on em and use that money to fund energy alternatives that North America is in great need of.
Old 07-15-09, 04:57 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did the previous generation land cruiser combine body on frame along with unibody or is this the first? I had no idea until this review that the LC used such a design.

The only other vehicle I can think of that combines the two is the Honda Ridgeline, and it's a sorry example of a 'real' truck if you ask me.

I understand what advantages there are to adding a unibody to BOF, but I wonder if it has disadvantages too, other than cost...
Old 07-15-09, 05:54 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
I guess my whole point is that all of these big machines have well more than ample power and are exempt from gas guzzler charges. I don't think that this should be the case anymore. Call me controlling, but I just don't think these large SUVs need to go accelerate this quickly. I understand the certain need from a gasoline engine to have a decent towing capacity, but anymore demand should be met through a diesel..
If I was buying a full size SUV today. I would buy a Land Cruiser or the LX. I would prefer the 5.7 over an diesel out there. The 5.7 is an outstanding engine.

Charge tax on em and use that money to fund energy alternatives that North America is in great need of
I am all for a green tax on SUVs. In Ontario we have an SUV green tax. Depending on the combined fuel rating a tax gets applied. The LX570 qualifies for a $3000 green tax on top of the purchase price while the outgoing Lx470 qualified for a $4000 green tax. The tax has to be paid at the point of sale.

Pick up trucks are excempt.

All of NA should adopt this.
Old 07-15-09, 05:58 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Threxx
Did the previous generation land cruiser combine body on frame along with unibody or is this the first? I had no idea until this review that the LC used such a design.
Land Cruiser is a body on frame design.
Old 07-15-09, 08:38 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by pagemaster
I am all for a green tax on SUVs. In Ontario we have an SUV green tax. Depending on the combined fuel rating a tax gets applied. The LX570 qualifies for a $3000 green tax on top of the purchase price while the outgoing Lx470 qualified for a $4000 green tax. The tax has to be paid at the point of sale.

Pick up trucks are excempt.

All of NA should adopt this.
Yes, I feel that a pickup truck is a bit different from an SUV. In general they are used more fun work related hauling and towing, though the automakers are fully aware that many buyers buy trucks without ever intending to use them for heavy duty reasons. And they exploit that. Nevertheless, it might (I use this word loosely) make more sense to pay an extra $4000 for a Landcrusier that was more fuel efficient than to pay $4000 in gas guzzler taxes. Hmmm....
Old 07-15-09, 10:51 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
. Nevertheless, it might (I use this word loosely) make more sense to pay an extra $4000 for a Landcrusier that was more fuel efficient than to pay $4000 in gas guzzler taxes. Hmmm....
i think this makes a lot of sense. In the Land Cruisers case. I think the Land Cruiser is really a niche vehicle for those who really really want one and for the capabilities that is has....even more so with the 5.7. The are many people who modify them a lot and I hope Toyota does not discontinue them when the new CAFE rules come out.