Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

lmao, dealership lists my trade-in 08 S5 for 55k

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-09, 10:45 PM
NINEZeRO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lmao, dealership lists my trade-in 08 S5 for 55k

I recently traded in a 08 S5 with about 12600 miles for a C63 AMG. My car's kbb value was about 48k Good and 50k Excellent, but I had been in an accident (5k damage) before so I wasn't looking to get Excellent. So I ended up getting 45500 for the trade. Just out of curiosity I go to their website to see if my car is on sale. See it here listed at 55k. Did I get screwed? Are they really going to be able to sell it for this much? I think a few workers at the dealership were eyeing the car for themselves.

Funny thing, as I was looking at the pics of my previous car, I felt a little sad because the S5 was very beautiful. But I just could not enjoy driving it.

http://www.simonson.mercedescenter.c...0015174335RCRD
Old 07-11-09, 10:47 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 731 Likes on 503 Posts

They'll always put some type of mark up on the car. They're probably hoping no one will look closely enough to see the 1 accident on the car and pay near the kbb value.
Old 07-12-09, 12:19 AM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

The dealer will try and make money on every car they sell, new or not. You didn't really think they were going to list it for what they paid you did you?

Also, people will go in and negotiate, I'd say they probably expect $50k on the car.
Old 07-12-09, 02:44 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Its things like this that make me not give a damn that they are struggling. I can understand trying to make some cash, but to list it at 10k over what they gave him is unreal
Old 07-12-09, 07:07 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The Benz dealership did not waste any time Did you expect them to sell it for the same price that it is valued? Enjoy the C63 and forget about it..
Old 07-12-09, 07:54 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 218 Likes on 146 Posts

I don't think $10K over what they gave you for a car in this price range is out of the ordinary at all. Plus I think most people would negotiate it down substantially anyway, and they would sell it for much less. Sure they have to make a few thousands on the sale if they can, that's not unreasonable.
Old 07-12-09, 08:04 AM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

is the one accident even listed on carfax?

i thought no one reported to crappy Carfax.
so you could've lied about having the accident.
Old 07-12-09, 08:19 AM
LexFather

Not unusual at all.

Old 07-12-09, 09:22 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
I don't think $10K over what they gave you for a car in this price range is out of the ordinary at all. Plus I think most people would negotiate it down substantially anyway, and they would sell it for much less. Sure they have to make a few thousands on the sale if they can, that's not unreasonable.
I agree, very normal here. Plus to sell it there will be at least a 10% discount at the end. Who knows how long it will take sell, could be several months.
Old 07-12-09, 09:25 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dunnojack
is the one accident even listed on carfax?

i thought no one reported to crappy Carfax.
so you could've lied about having the accident.
Most likely it was not shown on the Carfax. But anybody with good bodyshop skills can easily detect a repaired car. Lease turn-in inspectors and good used car managers often have the skills to pick up on this too, not that it's necessarily a deal-killer.
Old 07-12-09, 09:43 AM
KA8
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Move on it's pointless at this point
Old 07-12-09, 10:16 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Allen K
They'll always put some type of mark up on the car. They're probably hoping no one will look closely enough to see the 1 accident on the car and pay near the kbb value.

I'm not a lawyer, but I believe that, by law, the accident has to be disclosed. It will probably be on CarFax, anyway. That would also preclude it from being a Certified Used Car (though Audi may not actually refer to their premium used-car program as such).

Did you tell the dealership, when you traded it in, that it had a 5K accident? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't recall you mentioning an accident in the CL thread where we discussed the viability of your trading it in. I did a KBB search for your S5 on the assumption of 12K miles and no accidents.

Originally Posted by Gojirra99

Andrew here is correct. Accident or not, most people will probably negotiate the 55K down somewhat. I don't think it will actually sell for 55K.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-12-09 at 10:19 AM.
Old 07-12-09, 10:33 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,371 Likes on 1,556 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I can understand trying to make some cash, but to list it at 10k over what they gave him is unreal
no it isn't 'unreal'. that will likely get negotiated in half, plus they no doubt spent SOME money to get the car ready for resale (although this sounds like a car that was traded in great shape), and every day it sits on the lot it costs money.

do you expect them to just break even on re-sales?
Old 07-12-09, 11:46 AM
NINEZeRO
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Did you tell the dealership, when you traded it in, that it had a 5K accident? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't recall you mentioning an accident in the CL thread where we discussed the viability of your trading it in. I did a KBB search for your S5 on the assumption of 12K miles and no accidents.

No, I didn't tell them anything because I assume they should know by looking at the car. Every other dealership that I got my car appraised new it was in a (not so small) accident, hence their reluctance to give me anything close to kbb value. It could very well be that they didn't know about the accident how high they are listing my car.

I do think I forgot to mention the accident part, does this mean I got a better deal for my trade in ?

There is a good chance they'll sell the car quickly though. I saw no less than 3 newly purchased (don't know if used or new) S5 in the past two weeks.
Old 07-12-09, 11:48 AM
NINEZeRO
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
The Benz dealership did not waste any time Did you expect them to sell it for the same price that it is valued? Enjoy the C63 and forget about it..

I am, no regrets with the C63. I just thought it was funny how they listed the car just 3k shy of the MSRP.

Quick Reply: lmao, dealership lists my trade-in 08 S5 for 55k