Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

OBD3 on it's way? and a way to avoid meeting emission standards?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-09, 07:22 PM
TLDriver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default OBD3 on it's way? and a way to avoid meeting emission standards?

I was over at a shop with a buddy getting his car smoged. We started talking to the guy doing the smog check and he brought up OBD3. He mentioned some things that sound a little paranoid and so on. I searched online to see if there was any real articles about it and ran into this. http://www.heartland.org/policybot/r..._On_Board.html

but what caught my attention was this:
Increasingly, though, polluting vehicles go unrepaired legally because of EPA policies. If a vehicle costs more than $450 to repair in such a way as to meet EPA standards, it gets a waiver--it can be legally driven without being repaired. A study conducted in 1994 by Sun Oil Company found that engines had become so complex that 60 percent of those failing emissions tests could not be fully repaired for $450. Moreover, the cost of repairs has increased dramatically in the last four years, primarily because of increased engine complexity brought on by tighter EPA limits on new car emissions.

Can someone clue me in on this? because some of my emission units my have to go bad and not have to worry about fixing them when I start boosting.
Old 07-12-09, 08:20 PM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Long story short, b/c Md uses this waiver liability. Once you fail the emissions test. You have up to 4 months(I think) to produce a minimal of $450 worth of receipts, and they have to be emission related items(tune up, exhaust, engine work, etc.), to at least prove that you ATTEMPTED to correct the problem which caused you to fail emissions in the first place. Once you produce the receipts, then you will be granted a waiver. No receipts, and you have already failed, you are basicaly getting the late charges tacked on to your bill monthly. After a short period of time(not sure), they WILL send you notice that you need to come in to get re-tested or face your registration being suspended by a determined date.