Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Should Lexus build IS and GS "wagons"?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-09, 03:44 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think that many of the replies in this thread have personified the stigma against the word "wagon" in this country. Nearly every RX, FX, Q5, MDX, Highlander, Edge, Flex, Murano, X3, etc is a WAGON by any other name, it's just that the marketing department at their respective companies has just led the car buying public to think of it differently.

If I had changed the title to "Should Lexus build IS and GS Crossover Utility 5 Door Coupes?" it would have probably framed the question differently than using the dirty word "wagon" and the replies would have probably been more positive.

Old 07-13-09, 03:45 PM
MSMLexIS
Lexus Champion

No wagon version of the IS/GS but maybe if they offered a Venza like vehicle it would work.
Old 07-13-09, 03:47 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MSMLexIS
No wagon version of the IS/GS but maybe if they offered a Venza like vehicle it would work.
Did you read my original post?
Old 07-13-09, 03:50 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Yes, most of us acknowledge the poor sales results of premium wagons in the US. But it's interesting how similar sized small premium SUVs are also experiencing mediocre sales, including RDX, GLK, Q5, X3.
Old 07-13-09, 03:53 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 219 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by Rashoodz
It wont sell in the middle east.
They prefer the real off-road SUV's there that can go over sand dunes, right ?
Old 07-13-09, 03:53 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by 92 SC400
I don't think the EX is a good example here. That more of like a small version of an already small SUV... It's not exactly a G35/7 wagon or anything like that though it looks pretty similar; wasn't there a thread here a while back about it being sold in Japan as a "Skyline Wagon" or something like that? In any case, I don't think that is the direction the OP suggest Lexus go.

Not sure how many people liked the IS300 Sportcross, well evidently not many, but that was always a car, maybe "wagon" is more appropriate, that I liked the looks of. Strictly from a sales standpoint, is there really a need or spot in the Lexus lineup for a such a vehicle? IMO I see this segment better suited for the European makes for some reason.

I really like the idea of a Lexus wagon/crossover though but I think first you'd have to convince all those soccer moms, and maybe just the SUV driving public in general, that they really dont need an SUV. That is probably the biggest obstacle.
Actually I think its a pretty close example. The EX is some odd car looking wagon/hatch thing but they failed with the utility.

Mike, are you talking like something like a bigger Infiniti EX (that isn't ugly)?

Old 07-13-09, 03:55 PM
MSMLexIS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
Did you read my original post?
Im simply agreeing with you.
Old 07-13-09, 04:12 PM
Rash
hmm

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
They prefer the real off-road SUV's there that can go over sand dunes, right ?
Right, but many SUV owners treat their cars as city cars. You see too many LX570 around but they don't touch the sand.
Old 07-13-09, 04:13 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As many of you know, I am quite partial to the Toyota Venza- I love it. Even though it's a Camry underneath, I love the execution, design, and details in the Venza and think that Toyota did a great job. The creation of such a vehicle has me wondering if Lexus should consider something similar, or if it would ever happen as models in the Toyota lineup can tend to mirror those from Lexus.
The Venza should of been a Lexus from the get go.

My thoughts about the Venza and the current state of the Lexus SUV lineup has me wondering how an IS and GS wagon would fare, if executed more like the Venza than say, an RX or just a simple wagon derivative. Think of taking the general body of the IS and GS, elongating them a bit and adding a hatch with larger fenderflares, bumpers, and wheels and a few additional inches of ground clearance.
An IS or GS wagon would be a sales and marketing disaster. I am all for a GS, GS Hybrid and GS-F but a wagon? No way.

For the IS and GS wagons to even be considered, Lexus would need strong international sales from both the IS and GS...which I don't think they get. An IS or GS wagon would do well in Europe but right now I don't think the IS or GS do all that well to begin with.
Old 07-13-09, 04:22 PM
LexFather

Old 07-13-09, 04:24 PM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

BMW has offered what amounts to a GS wagon with their 5 Series and Mercedes has offered Sportwagon versions of their E class. They don't sell well here in the US. They do sell well in Western Europe so the development cost was covered. Even hatchbacks that are very popular in Europe don't sell here.

Venza is an attempt to build a wagon without the negative "wagon" conotation. If it succeeds, maybe there will be more, but it already is lower than sales forcast. For the same money, it seems people are buying Highlanders.
Steve
Old 07-13-09, 04:28 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX

Mike, are you talking like something like a bigger Infiniti EX (that isn't ugly)?
Essentially what I am talking about is a Venza, but RWD with a sportier personality and all of the latest Lexus luxury goodness. One roughly the size of a GS one roughly the size of an IS.

Obviously they would have GS or IS design cues on each model, but I am trying to break this down to be as simple as possible
Old 07-13-09, 08:13 PM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

New IS and GS would look horrible in wagon variations... Why isn't ES mention, most logical to me, would be cheaper than A6, 5, E wagons, by tons...
Old 07-13-09, 08:44 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the RX is just dandy as a wagon, and I don't think anything else is needed... wouldn't mind seeing it on a rwd platform though. HOWEVER, an IS wagon, built as an awd hybrid would not be a bad idea IMHO.
Old 07-14-09, 12:03 AM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Actually I think its a pretty close example. The EX is some odd car looking wagon/hatch thing but they failed with the utility.

Essentially what I am talking about is a Venza, but RWD with a sportier personality and all of the latest Lexus luxury goodness. One roughly the size of a GS one roughly the size of an IS.

Obviously they would have GS or IS design cues on each model, but I am trying to break this down to be as simple as possible
The EX didn't really seem to fit what the OP (Mike?) was really getting at. Looks like something more in the direction of the 3/5 Series wagon/GT line.

Something comparable to the EX would be more like a smaller version of the RX, at least IMO

Quick Reply: Should Lexus build IS and GS "wagons"?