Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

US Energy Sec. recommends painting roads to white fights global warming

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-09, 09:41 PM
mex lex
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I will now paint my h white and install white tires to help the environment even more
Will those be like ultra white wall tires?
Old 07-13-09, 09:48 PM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

I have said for years asphalt should be outlawed, it is petroleum based, causes global warming & traffic jams. Concrete lasts 10 times as long, reflects heat & contains no oil
Old 07-13-09, 10:00 PM
AD_SC3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is also a small amount of scientist on the other end of the spectrum that want to use the interstates as a very big thermal energy collector.
Old 07-13-09, 10:16 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,992 Likes on 2,416 Posts

Originally Posted by Byprodrive
I have said for years asphalt should be outlawed, it is petroleum based, causes global warming & traffic jams. Concrete lasts 10 times as long, reflects heat & contains no oil
You should look into how much energy goes into making Portland cement. It's stunning how much heat is required. Heat these days means oil in some form or fashion. Not to mention the rest of the CO2 produced in the process. This site claims about a ton of CO2 is produced for every ton of cement. If you're worried about CO2, concrete isn't looking much better than bitumen in a cradle to grave model.
Old 07-13-09, 11:20 PM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
You should look into how much energy goes into making Portland cement. It's stunning how much heat is required. Heat these days means oil in some form or fashion. Not to mention the rest of the CO2 produced in the process. This site claims about a ton of CO2 is produced for every ton of cement. If you're worried about CO2, concrete isn't looking much better than bitumen in a cradle to grave model.
Ok I'll settle for fewer road repaving & being able to walk on it barefoot in the summer
Old 07-14-09, 12:08 AM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
In honor of this idea, I will bleach my hair platinum blonde tonight...
Would the bleach itself cause some sort of aerosol pollution thus defeating the purpose? haha

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
Somebody called this a few weeks ago- I think it was in the thread where California wanted to ban black cars or something.

I don't have the time to go back and search for it, but props to whoever you are
C.A.R.B. (California Air Resources Board) made some claim about this a few months ago and I remember hearing about it on the news. They were talking about alternative mixes for "black" paint and they really turned out to be some ugly shades of brown or something like that.
Old 07-14-09, 12:25 AM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Oleg400
White is the new black. If someone can pay me to make retarted statments I will have a solution for every problem in the world.
^ lol

right, so we can all go blind because of the horizontal light entering our eyes and frying our rods ... then no one will be able to drive (or do anything, thereby causing no further damage) and the world will be saved

Originally Posted by Twan0690
There is also a small amount of scientist on the other end of the spectrum that want to use the interstates as a very big thermal energy collector.
^ this idea is far less loony

Last edited by Faymester; 07-14-09 at 12:29 AM.
Old 07-14-09, 12:37 AM
xknowonex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

White roads is the most idiotic idea ever. Those that have snowboarded in the daytime would understand
Old 07-14-09, 12:59 AM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

^^^ Not many people snowboard at night or in the dark do they? haha...
Old 07-14-09, 05:34 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
white roofs=win
white roads=fail

+1

no idea why the hell people put jet black roofs on their house....I'd paint my roof white today if my homeowners assoc would allow me to. I'm looking at radiant barrier paint for the inside of the roof, but a white outside would be a huge benefit....I used a bright white TYVEK car cover for a while -- EXCELLENT at keeping the car cool!!

Originally Posted by xknowonex
White roads is the most idiotic idea ever. Those that have snowboarded in the daytime would understand
uh yeah right I stopped snowboarding and skiing becuz the snow is so bright white....

Last edited by bagwell; 07-14-09 at 09:18 AM.
Old 07-14-09, 07:51 AM
Mr Johnson
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Faymester
^ lol
right, so we can all go blind because of the horizontal light entering our eyes and frying our rods ... then no one will be able to drive (or do anything, thereby causing no further damage) and the world will be saved
Nah... We can all be stylish and drive around with our goggles to prevent that!
Attached Thumbnails US Energy Sec. recommends painting roads to white fights global warming-goggles.jpg  
Old 07-14-09, 09:19 AM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Is the energy secretary loony?

What about all the pollutants in petroleum based paint that would HAVE to be used for it to last any reasonable amount of time? Keeping it clean? I can think of 100 other reasons why this is a bad idea.

Sure this isn't a late all fools day joke?
Old 07-14-09, 10:17 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by MR_F1

What about all the pollutants in petroleum based paint that would HAVE to be used for it to last any reasonable amount of time? Keeping it clean? I can think of 100 other reasons why this is a bad idea.

how dare you use logic and reason against the green facists
Old 07-14-09, 12:55 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by MR_F1

No, but fools have plenty of loony ideas. Al Gore is spouting more insanity about "world governance" at the Smith School World Forum on Enterprise and the Environment at Oxford. He proposes a single world government that would ensure that all children are required to be brainwashed with his incredibly ignorant manifesto.

Finally, clearer voices are being heard, and the technobabble from the left is being replaced with real science:
[Australian Senator Stephen] Fielding put to the [Australian climate change] minister three questions:
  1. How, since temperatures have been dropping, can CO2 be blamed for them rising?

2. What, if CO2 was the cause of recent warming, was the cause of temperatures rising higher in the past?

3. Why, since the official computer models have been proved wrong, should we rely on them for future projections?
The written answers produced by the minister's own scientific advisers proved so woolly and full of elementary errors that Fielding's team have now published a 50-page, fully-referenced "Due Diligence'' paper tearing them apart. In light of the inadequacy of the Government's reply, the Senator has announced that he will be voting against the bill.

The wider significance of this episode is that it is the first time a Western government has allowed itself to be drawn into debating the science behind the global warming scare with expert scientists representing the "counter consensus" - and the "consensus" lost hands down.

We still have a long way to go before that Copenhagen treaty is agreed in December, and with China, India and 128 other countries still demanding trillions of dollars as the price of their co-operation, the prospect of anything but a hopelessly fudged agreement looks slim. But even a compromise could inflict devastating damage on our own economic future - all for a theory now shot so full of holes that its supporters are having to suppress free speech to defend it.

- Climate Depot
Old 07-14-09, 01:35 PM
SmokeyES35
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Byprodrive
Yeah.. this might not be that bad of an idea. Its a lighter color (you can color concrete anything you like), and it lasts a lot lot longer (less paving projects in the future). Actually other countries use concrete for their highways instead of asphalt, but maybe cuz asphalt is not as available.