Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

German quality rising vs Japanese pricing rising....is the value eroding?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-10, 08:34 PM
superchan7
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lexus will not achieve the ultimate brand prestige until Toyota puts some serious styling and performance passion into its mainstream Lexus line (LFA doesn't count). The IS-F is a good first step, but dedicated sporting models have more effect.

The current-generation LS shows some of Lexus' unique style--some may not like it, but it definitely is much less bland than before, especially the exterior. If Toyota keeps this up and puts some spice in (sportiness and less conservative interiors), I think Lexus will start taking cake from Deutschland.
Old 04-21-10, 10:59 PM
LexFather

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by VVT-i
Your analogy make me LMAO because the way you're trying to convince yourself about Hyundai and make you feel better.
How you compare MB/BMW=Toyota/Honda and Lexus=Hyundai?...

Yes, Hyundai is a good car company and nobody laugh at Hyundai as a car company. If you love your Hyundai so much please stop compare them with another car.
Agreed. It's so ridiculous with the main intent to once again bring up Hyundai in another thread.

They have 1 okay luxury car and another not even here yet an neither breaks any new ground why the hell is anyone talking about Hyundai!?

I'm sorry I bumped this thread.

Old 04-22-10, 09:13 AM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

My main intent wasn't to bring up hyundai. read my post. it was all about Lexus.

and you are missing my point. Having luxury cars have nothing to do with what i've said. lol I just said Lexus' image isn't up there with MB/BMW just like hyundai isn't up there with toyota/honda. you get so defensive, but if you think about it, you should've actually agreed with my post.

and when I say Toyota/Honda, i wasn't trying to say Toyota-lexus/honda-acura. it just means the mainstream brand toyota/honda. so having luxury cars have nothing to do with my point because toyota and honda doesn't have luxury cars save it for toyota's land cruiser.

again, brand perception globally IN MY OPINION:

MB/BMW = toyota/honda
Lexus = hyundai

You don't have to agree with my opinion, but my analogy makes sense. actually in my honest opinion, the gap between toyota/honda vs. hyundai is getting closer in a much faster rate. Hyundai actually commends tremendous respect from countries like china/inda/latin america. they forgot all about how bad hyundai was 20 years ago.

by the way, i started a poll on other forums. Most of people don't think my analogy is ridiculous. Was I off topic? Maybe a little. Was my analogy that bad? hell no.

poll results
Hyundai is closer to Toyota/Honda (72%, 52 votes)
Lexus is closer to MB/BMW (25%, 18 votes)
both are equal. just slightly below the leaders (1%, 1 votes)
both are equal. Far below the leaders (1%, 1 votes)
(72 total votes)

If you can't get what i'm trying to say then I have nothing more to say.

Last edited by joe80; 04-22-10 at 09:13 PM.
Old 04-22-10, 09:45 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Note: According to OP's opening post, this thread is not about brand perception globally, it's more about the price gap narrowing between German and Japanese brand vehicles.
Old 04-22-10, 10:25 AM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by CHI2BFLO
Iknow this is true for my dad, he has figured mercedes has gotten it together and once his lease is up in october with his rx350, an e350 is in line, a used 2008 model, not a new one, but the certain model he is looking at seemed essentially as reliable as a lexus
I think the pervious gen E class is still a POS (not the AMGs). The new ones are just as POS as the pervious gen. S class, on the other hand, is very good!
Old 04-22-10, 10:30 AM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Agreed. It's so ridiculous with the main intent to once again bring up Hyundai in another thread.

They have 1 okay luxury car and another not even here yet an neither breaks any new ground why the hell is anyone talking about Hyundai!?

I'm sorry I bumped this thread.
You should be sorry. Your post about M3 vs Mustang made me cry a little.

but I have to say, I learned a lot from this.

M3=Mustang and Hyundai=Lexus. so if we can somehow make some relation between Hyundai and Ford? what about genesis coupe = Mustang, so Ford = Hyundia.

If we plug in that into the original equation being, M3 = mustang, we can conclude that M3 = lexus (lexus=hyundai, ford mustang=hyundai genesis) and that should give lexus a little more soul.

forget it, they are all POS for all i care.
Old 04-22-10, 11:55 AM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by STIG
I think the pervious gen E class is still a POS (not the AMGs). The new ones are just as POS as the pervious gen. S class, on the other hand, is very good!
Wow, insightful post
Old 04-22-10, 03:29 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by INHOCJP
Wow, insightful post
Thanks. but I really like the AMGs.
Old 04-22-10, 03:41 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

To me, E class is the Camry of Luxury cars. Good car, but so boring, I'd rather get hit by a bus. The fact that there are seven of them on every block in NYC doesn't help either. I think the only reason people buy them is because they cant afford the S class
Old 04-22-10, 03:44 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If this thread drifts OT much more, expect it to be closed.