Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

New BMW M division boss confirms no M7

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-09, 09:19 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 225 Likes on 153 Posts
Default New BMW M division boss confirms no M7

July 14, 2009
New BMW M division boss confirms no M7

U.S. market is crucial for BMW's performance division

M is for meaning. As in, BMW doesn't just stiffen the chassis, pump up the volume on the horsepower and slap an M badge on a standard production car.

Kay Segler took over at the helm of BMW's performance division back in May. In an interview with Automotive News, Segler, 54, says he's confident that the upcoming X5 M and X6 M models will sell well, despite a very depressed automobile market.

But Segler says the Bavarian brand has axed any plans for an M7 model, claiming the all-wheel drive 760 does enough to fulfill the market.

Segler was moved into the position as head of BMW's M division after having managed the automaker's Mini brand for 5 years. In the interview, he addresses the issue of falling sales and the importance of the U.S. market for the M division. U.S. Sales for the M division were 9,738 out of a total of 24,186 M vehicles sold around the world by BMW in 2008. But sales for the first half of 2009 were just under 3,000 units in the United States.

He also described the essence of what he believes an M model is.

"We don't just give it more horsepower and make the chassis a little stiffer. If you look at the M3, it's on the upper limit of how much we change. 75 to 80 percent is modified."

The X5 and X6 M models go on sale in the U.S. on September 7.
Source
Old 07-14-09, 09:24 PM
Oleg400
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't think there was a need for an M7 there are a lot of companies that make monsters out of the 7 series, for example the B7.
Old 07-14-09, 09:43 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not suprised. Other than to go up against the S AMG for ego rights I doubt an M7 is really warranted.
Old 07-14-09, 09:44 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

So....... they still refuse to make the M7 (not that I want to see one), but insist on building and X5M and X6M.........

The M division has completely sold out.........
Old 07-14-09, 09:55 PM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

smart move, they don't want to go against this...
Attached Thumbnails New BMW M division boss confirms no M7-2277311.jpg  
Old 07-14-09, 09:56 PM
LexFather

Booooooo to building those 5500 lbs (yes lbs) "M" cars and no M7......Audi has now dropped the S8....

Kudos to Benz and AMG!!!

Old 07-14-09, 11:21 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

funny, no m7, but x5/6 m

oh well, maybe m5 next for me
Old 07-14-09, 11:27 PM
f=ma
Lexus Test Driver

m is overrated anyways
Old 07-15-09, 03:38 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Oleg400
I don't think there was a need for an M7 there are a lot of companies that make monsters out of the 7 series, for example the B7.
Alpina is skunk works shop under the BMW umbrella just like the M division. It is not an aftermarket company like Tension, Hartge, et.al. I've driven the last gen B7 at last year. Trust me, there is no need for an M7

The Alpina is now available in the states finally!! Here is a pic of a fresh off the boat Alpina B7..

Old 07-15-09, 06:30 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

if an M7 did come out, M would stand for marketing even more
Old 07-15-09, 06:44 AM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
Alpina is skunk works shop under the BMW umbrella just like the M division. It is not an aftermarket company like Tension, Hartge, et.al. I've driven the last gen B7 at last year. Trust me, there is no need for an M7
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alpina

They're actually not a skunk works project. They're a separate tuner company (much like RUF) where they sell their own tuned BMW cars as Alpinas. They however have a deal with BMW that their cars are covered under warranty and can be serviced under BMW dealerships.
Old 07-15-09, 07:11 AM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER

The Alpina is now available in the states finally!! Here is a pic of a fresh off the boat Alpina B7..

1-Alpina is not under the BMW umbrella

2- What's the excuse for the X5/X6 then?
Old 07-15-09, 10:52 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Koma
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alpina

They're actually not a skunk works project. They're a separate tuner company (much like RUF) where they sell their own tuned BMW cars as Alpinas. They however have a deal with BMW that their cars are covered under warranty and can be serviced under BMW dealerships.
thanks for clarifying. alpina is not under bmw, doesn't make sense logically otherwise why the M line?

talk about B7. when i was at bmw dealership few weeks ago, there was a B7 and the owner happened to sit with the SA beside me. his list of problems to-be-fixed was so long it took i think 10 or 11 pages of printout.

impressive. even the owner was smiling (in a bad way)
Old 07-15-09, 11:07 AM
whlkev
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

alpina is definitely aftermarket tuner like Dinan here
Old 07-15-09, 11:14 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MR_F1
So....... they still refuse to make the M7 (not that I want to see one), but insist on building and X5M and X6M.........

The M division has completely sold out.........
I agree. Doesn't seem to make philosophical sense to neglect a sedan while creating high performance versions of SUVs.

As for the references to not wanting to challenge the S63/65 AMG...I doubt that being the case. While the S AMG is a wonderful car, BMW could easily create something to rival it if they wanted to. I understand that between the Alpina B7 and 760Li they think they have the market covered, but there is still a niche for an M7 IMO. M styling cues, transmissions, and overall character is not currently offered in the full size sedan segment. The B7 is fast but also uber-luxurious. They could have something unique if the M7 had CF or Aluminum accents on the interior, like other M products.

Quick Reply: New BMW M division boss confirms no M7