Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Surprise surprise!!! Camaro is already having mechanical issues.

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-09, 10:22 AM
NYlexus
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
No car is bulletproof, no matter how much development you put into it, if the morons who buy it abuse it bad enough.
So true....you hit it right on the head...just look at this:

Drunk guy tries to be too cool and rams into a bakery...

http://camaro5.com/forums/showthread...ighlight=drunk
Old 07-30-09, 12:42 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
No car is bulletproof, no matter how much development you put into it, if the morons who buy it abuse it bad enough.
100% true, but most manufacturers will design a bit more tolerance to abuse into a car. Regrettably many GM cars aren't even rubber bullet proof.
Old 08-03-09, 01:43 PM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i wonder if they'll have to get the 'car czar' or obama's approval to decide what to do.
Well, the first car czar has already left and Obama is now up to his navel in health care, soooooo Camaro owners can just wait! You had to have a car built by the UNION, now you pay the price!!
Old 08-03-09, 02:26 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe we will see some facts on the subject here, eventually.....
Old 08-06-09, 01:26 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

The bad news keeps rolling in:

It's almost a given that modern cars from the major carmakers will be built and designed to achieve maximal crash safety ratings - especially brand-leaders like the new 2010 Chevrolet Camaro, right? Well, not quite, it seems, as the new muscle car has managed just 4 of 5 stars thanks to below-expected frontal impact scores.

Side and rollover testing still secured 5-star ratings, but the car's front impact 4-star rating dragged down the overall result. Copmared to the Camaro's main rival, the 2010 Ford Mustang, that's a major blow, as the Blue Oval product secured five stars in all tests.

Comparing the numbers tells an even darker story for the Camaro, as the Mustang scored 457 head injury criterion for the driver and 379 for the passenger, versus 661 and 626 respectively for the Camaro. Chest deceleration figures were equally biased against the Camaro, which scored 53 g for the driver and 49 g for the passenger against the Mustang's much less strenuous 34 g and 40 g chest loads.

Finally, the Camaro placed a load of 908 lb and 866 lb on the driver's left and right legs, compared to 478 lb and 551 lb for the Mustang's driver. Those figures reflect pretty intuitively just how much more severe the same impact would feel in the Camaro.

Click through to the government's Safercar site below to see video of the Camaro's crash testing for yourself.
Old 08-06-09, 04:01 PM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
The bad news keeps rolling in:
4 stars is good enough for all but Volvo owning tree-huggers & definetly a improvement over the 1969 Camaro that the 2010 Camaro is designed after for GM's target buyers. I saw 3 2010's on the road last night so I guess supply is increasing
Old 08-06-09, 04:04 PM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Maybe we will see some facts on the subject here, eventually.....
Yeah, remember this could be caused by a snap ring
Old 08-06-09, 04:08 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by NYlexus

Looking for a drivethrough window maybe.....
Old 08-06-09, 05:10 PM
ArodDaLob
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by NYlexus
So true....you hit it right on the head...just look at this:

For a second, it looked like the camaro rolled off the truck bed and right into the house...
Old 08-08-09, 10:44 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ArodDaLob
For a second, it looked like the camaro rolled off the truck bed and right into the house...

Thats what i thought
Old 08-08-09, 11:11 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

As long as GM focuses on customer satisfaction with this issue, and less emphasis on making excuses, the Camaro will do fine.
Old 08-10-09, 03:08 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

the owners probably feel like suckers. They bought a faulty vehicle from a manufacturer thats going down in flames. Hopefully it will emerge from the ashes with some of its old strength. Not likely. I think GM will have to recreate itself
Old 10-09-09, 03:09 PM
TXSTYLE
Lexus Fanatic

Lightbulb Oh Noes... The General Has a Problem: CAMARO Owners

This is wrong on so MANY levels....

So look closely at the brake caliper. What's that riding shotgun?

Forumites at Camaro5 have been collectively scratching their heads for a couple days, wondering why there appear to be two layers of lead wheel weights stuck onto their brake calipers. It's a mystery Charlie Brown!

The confusion started when a poster uploaded an image of his new Camaro's Brembo calipers, on which were riding two rows of lead weights, normally affixed to the inside of a wheel rim to balance the tire. This led everyone with a Camaro to run outside to see it their mullet machine's also had the weights, which they do, at least on among the folks on the forum. GM has not answered to the confusion yet, but the leading theory is they were place on the caliper as a quick and dirty fix to alleviate brake squeal. From a physics perspective, this explanation is plausible, as resonant frequency is in large part determined by mass, and by changing the vibrating mass of the caliper with the weights, a troublesome squeal would be eliminated for a particular driving condition.

The trouble is if they're using normal brake weights, the heat cycling of the caliper will eventually cause the adhesive to fail and, if things get too serious on the track, the lead could actually melt. Though it's an odd issue and not really a big deal, we'll be keeping you in on the loop during Camaro brake-gate, though we recommend Camaro owners visit their local dealer and have their muffler bearings, blinker fluid, and piston-return springs checked out, just in case. Click here for the high-resolution image."]Forumites at Camaro5 have been collectively scratching their heads for a couple days, wondering why there appear to be two layers of lead wheel weights stuck onto their brake calipers. It's a mystery Charlie Brown!

The confusion started when a poster uploaded an image of his new Camaro's Brembo calipers, on which were riding two rows of lead weights, normally affixed to the inside of a wheel rim to balance the tire. This led everyone with a Camaro to run outside to see it their mullet machine's also had the weights, which they do, at least on among the folks on the forum. GM has not answered to the confusion yet, but the leading theory is they were place on the caliper as a quick and dirty fix to alleviate brake squeal. From a physics perspective, this explanation is plausible, as resonant frequency is in large part determined by mass, and by changing the vibrating mass of the caliper with the weights, a troublesome squeal would be eliminated for a particular driving condition.

The trouble is if they're using normal brake weights, the heat cycling of the caliper will eventually cause the adhesive to fail and, if things get too serious on the track, the lead could actually melt. Though it's an odd issue and not really a big deal, we'll be keeping you in on the loop during Camaro brake-gate, though we recommend Camaro owners visit their local dealer and have their muffler bearings, blinker fluid, and piston-return springs checked out, just in case. Click here for the high-resolution image.
You might think the General would have addressed the brake weights added to the Chevy Camaro's squealing calipers for their Indy 500 pace cars. You'd be wrong, because these have those plus a ton of weights for actual wheel balancing.

Shhhh, those are probably just "speed weights," you know, to keep the car firmly on the ground during high speed pace car duties.
"Holy balancing act Batman...!"
Old 10-09-09, 03:24 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

The new Camaro has had quite a huge number of problems, documented on various Camaro and GM forums. You can add this to the list. This is just more confirmation GM rushed this car to market, and is struggling to cope with the issues that are arising on the car.
Old 10-09-09, 03:37 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

so you think the outside of a regular vehicle's brake caliper gets to 621.5 °F????

still a bargain for 300+ hp for $22K

.....and to be honest if this stopped a brake squeel, I'd probably do it myself!!!!!!!

plus what other car can you order this pkg --- funny, but serious.....

Transformers Special Edition Package --Includes unique Transformers rally stripe in black, Autobot shield wheel center caps, Transformers sill plates, Autobot shield embroidery on center console armrest and Autobot shield exterior badging. Requires rally yellow exterior color. Not available with Interior Accent Trim Package or any stripe package.

Last edited by bagwell; 10-09-09 at 03:56 PM.

Quick Reply: Surprise surprise!!! Camaro is already having mechanical issues.