Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

The beak returns! 2010 RDX

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-09, 01:56 PM
LexFather

I don't think anyone cares if the RDX handles better than an IS 250. The RDX has its own problems of not meeting sales goals since day one. The Q5, X3 (very old) and GLK all outsell it. For people that want a small SUV with some reliability and a dose of fun, the RDX might be for them.
The RX is not trying to be some sport SUV, its a luxury SUV and does the job better than anything in the market. I would hope a smaller, turbo, more sport oriented RDX can out handle it. Though its like saying sour milk tastes better than sour cheese.

Oh and with the F-sport parts, the IS-250 is quite the handler.....

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=140386

Edit: Thanks Allen for some facts!

Originally Posted by Allen K
From Edmunds.

(2007) RDX: It made it through our 600-foot slalom at a wicked 65.7 mph. For the record, the CX-7 navigated the slalom at 63.6 mph.

(2008) F-Sport Equipped IS250: This IS runs 71 mph through our slalom, circles our skid pad at 0.89g of lateral grip and stops from 60 mph in just 109 feet.

(2007)X Sport 250: Although it's down over 100 hp on the IS 350, the IS 250 is nearly 4 mph faster through the cones with a 70.4-mph result.

Old 10-15-09, 05:42 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by felixsc300
.... I mean, it looks like a happy pigeon on crack....
Must remember and use !
Old 10-15-09, 07:33 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by xis
Oh yes - they are very true... Yes - drove an X3 when deciding what to buy.
Yes - drove a Q5 when they came out
The better handling comment was about a Lexus RX - but I don't doubt for a second that the RDX would post better times in a slalom course than a IS250 (not a 350)

peace out g dude
You don't doubt it ? Well I do.

Check out the post below from Allen K:

Originally Posted by Allen K
From Edmunds.

(2007) RDX: It made it through our 600-foot slalom at a wicked 65.7 mph. For the record, the CX-7 navigated the slalom at 63.6 mph.

(2008) F-Sport Equipped IS250: This IS runs 71 mph through our slalom, circles our skid pad at 0.89g of lateral grip and stops from 60 mph in just 109 feet.

(2007)X Sport 250: Although it's down over 100 hp on the IS 350, the IS 250 is nearly 4 mph faster through the cones with a 70.4-mph result.
Sorry xis, but clearly, an IS with the Sports Package would smoke an RDX in the handling department.
Old 10-15-09, 08:58 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Of course the RDX isn't a "driver's" SUV like a X3/X5 or a Q5/Q7. It's a freakin' CR-V without soccer mom drag!

And now, Honda ups the CR-V to 180hp, 60hp gap between the 2.
http://automobiles.honda.com/cr-v/performance.aspx
Old 10-15-09, 09:15 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by nthach
Of course the RDX isn't a "driver's" SUV like a X3/X5 or a Q5/Q7. It's a freakin' CR-V without soccer mom drag!

And now, Honda ups the CR-V to 180hp, 60hp gap between the 2.
http://automobiles.honda.com/cr-v/performance.aspx
To be fair I don't believe the RDX is based on the CR-V and Acura claims it is not. I find that hard to believe as everything they build is shared and it makes no sense to just have one small SUV with its own platform.

http://www.edmunds.com/apps/vdpconta...3/pageNumber=1

Old 10-15-09, 09:22 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Yes everything with Acura pretty much is shared. Acura fans love to differentiate the Pilot, MDX, and Odyssey as being separate platforms/chassis, but fact is the MDX and Pilot are very similar to each other and are based on the same platform fundamentally.

Maybe the RDX uses a unique platform, but I doubt it. Honda loves to share chassis and platforms between Honda and Acura products.
Old 10-15-09, 09:28 PM
LexFather

I mean we can speculate but according to Acura its "unique"? They didn't go into specifics. Is the RDX made in Ohio as well? I'm not sure.

http://www.ohio.honda.com/companyinfo/products.cfm

Okay its built there. .

With a turbocharged engine assembled in Anna, Ohio, and a body built in Marysville, Ohio, the Acura RDX is super fun to drive. But it is something else as well, something very important to Honda. There is no better vehicle than the RDX to demonstrate the factory flexibility that keeps Honda's plant operations stable. Nearly every piece of the vehicle is unique, yet it is built in the same assembly plant and with the same machinery - and by the same associates - as the Acura TL, the Honda Accord Sedan and the Accord Coupe. The RDX embodies the Honda Challenging Spirit applied to factory operations - associate know-how, intelligent design of facilities and state-of-the-art machinery.

Old 10-15-09, 11:43 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I have to say I am not impressed by any of the Acurs SUV's. They all seem nice but not nice enough to justify the price they ask and the ****ty customer service at Acura. They actually think people have the time to sit and wait in the waiting room while their cars are being serviced. Oil change to a new motor I want a brand new loaner no matter what. Thats why I will never buy another Acura again. At least Infiniti would give us loaners like Lexus but unfortunately they are not as reliable as the Lexus
Old 10-16-09, 05:52 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

The RDX does have a unique platform and its a pretty good one too. The Chassis is suprising rigid for a Japanese SUV and the AWD system is mech. instead of electronic unlike the one in the CRV.
I remember when the last gen MDX first came out in 2001, Acura's 1st design / built SUV. People were lining up for the MDX which resulted in a 6 months waiting list. That 1st gen MDX sold at MSRP for almost 2 years, it was a success even beyond Acura's expectations. Soon, owners started to have transmission problems and there was a lot of rattle and quality issues as the MDX aged. That was the end of Acura's reputation as a luxury SUV manufacturer. I believe Acura still have not recover from that as of today, couple that with today's questionable designs equals to bad sales numbers.
Old 10-16-09, 07:16 AM
xis
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks - all fair quotes.
Just so we are all on the same page, I was just standing up for the RDX and some of the incorrect things that were pointed out initially....
I would KILL for an IS-F...

The IS I was comparing it to in my first post was my old IS - IS300. I loved that car and had to trade it for the RDX (baseball coach / hockey bags/etc) - but I fell in love with it because of the Fun Factor and that I really didn't step down in one single area (other than MPG)
You do have to admit - for an SUV with all that it comes with (Tech Package), the power and handling for what it is and for the price (34K OTD), it is a SCREAM.
Old 10-16-09, 08:46 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

The IS300 was a total disappointment to Lexus and its customers, I cannot say that Acura is totally happy with the way things are going for the RDX either. On paper, the RDX is a good SUV for the price, in real life, it lacks refinement and luxury. It is too small for the average American and the I4 turbo should put out much better numbers than that as far as MPG and HP is concerned.
Old 10-16-09, 09:29 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, RDX sales are poor even by premium cute-ute standards.
Old 10-16-09, 09:37 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
To be fair I don't believe the RDX is based on the CR-V and Acura claims it is not. I find that hard to believe as everything they build is shared and it makes no sense to just have one small SUV with its own platform.
Trust me.....the RDX and CR-V, though somewhat similiar size-wise, are two VERY different machines. The CR-V is competent, extremely well-built, reliable, and versatile, but is a rather slow, mundane and stodgy all-weather, on-pavement, small SUV. The RDX, at least by comparison, is a true sporting machine. Its turbo in-line 4 (the only turbo powerplant that Honda/Acura sells in the American market), with some minor turbo lag, give you some real low-RPM kick, which is almost unheard of with a Honda 4. And the suspension (with a rather stiff ride, of course), is far more responsive than the CR-V.
Old 10-16-09, 10:24 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

RDX is being outsold by the CRV 20 to 1, certainly a contrast from a business standpoint alone.
Old 10-16-09, 11:56 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by IS-SV
RDX is being outsold by the CRV 20 to 1, certainly a contrast from a business standpoint alone.
And the top of the line CRV is only $4000 more than the AH-AWD RDX without the tech package. On paper, the RDX is a much better value. Honda muct be scratching their head trying to figure out where did they go wrong with the RDX. Pricing, power, handling, reliability and size are not the reason. Arent these suppose to be the big ticket items when people compare cars?

Quick Reply: The beak returns! 2010 RDX