Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus dumping Taste of Lexus... =(

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-09, 10:34 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Byprodrive
+1 I remember when a guy I knew bought a new 2000 LS he was invited to come to a event to play golf & nice sitdown dinner there where Lexus on display but if you didn't ask about them nothing was said about Lexus
yeah back then it was all class. i remember the first TOL i went, they had sushi and what not, and the people were all so polite and classy. you could tell they are higher class people who appreciate the events rather than taking advantage of them

btw, imho the same go with bmw and mb and audi events these yrs. they have all gone way downhill mostly coz' of the crowd

to some extend, i really feel for manufacturers. i know they want to get out there and show people, but the crowd really give them way too much trouble
Old 07-16-09, 10:34 AM
jracerlmn
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rominl

the past 2 yrs were crap, not really lexus problems, but more like the cheap crowd who were there to destroy things and fight for food. i wonder if half of them can actually afford a luxury car

if they do it again, i hope they get more specific about audience

Thank god someone said it. I hinted at it in my post, but I was afraid i would sound like an elitist or crossing boundaries if i said anything about that.
Old 07-16-09, 10:49 AM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
I know this was posted the other day, but I am really disappointed they are discontinuing the Taste of Lexus events. This event was partly what got me into my IS. Ringing an IS-F around a track with a pro driver was earth-moving. And the practice one gets learning how to avoid hazards and make evasive moves was invaluable. Not to mention testing the abilities of all the other models.
I hope they still offer some sort of similar venue and another way to get the $750 certificate.
Do you agree this is a good move or do you think TOL has purpose? How effective do you think it was for sales? I know Audi still does a similar event, do other manufacturers also do them?

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/07/13/l...on-compete-wi/
I have been to events put on by: Ford,Mazda GM,Porsche,Cadillac,Lexus,BMW,Maybach,Infinity,Hundyia,Subaru,Chrysler,Jaguar,AstonMartin, Continental Stability Control, ZF, Motor Press Guild

I worked for ESI who put on the GM Driving experience in 2003 & 2004
ESI bid $1 million to setup the events (tents & courses, cones) & staff & transport to next city (about 20 cities each year)

This event increased sales on average 20% the month after the event & tapered off from there
Old 07-16-09, 11:08 AM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

yeah back then it was all class. i remember the first TOL i went, they had sushi and what not, and the people were all so polite and classy. you could tell they are higher class people who appreciate the events rather than taking advantage of them

btw, imho the same go with bmw and mb and audi events these yrs. they have all gone way downhill mostly coz' of the crowd

to some extend, i really feel for manufacturers. i know they want to get out there and show people, but the crowd really give them way too much trouble
Yeah it's all about volume all the highline cars are searching for buyers at entry level prices. That's how I left Pontiac & joined Lexus & Porsche.

In 2002 I worked a driving event for Aston Martin at the Ritz Carlton Dana Point & Pasadena. Invitees were from a list bought from American Express Black Cardholders. Over the 4 days about 25 couples attended & we sold 6 cars. This was a huge sucess since AM only sold abought 300 cars in the U.S. in 2001. I don't know how many units they sell annually now but with thier " entry level" cars I bet it's 5 times the 2001 total
Old 07-16-09, 11:56 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by Byprodrive
Yeah it's all about volume all the highline cars are searching for buyers at entry level prices. That's how I left Pontiac & joined Lexus & Porsche.

In 2002 I worked a driving event for Aston Martin at the Ritz Carlton Dana Point & Pasadena. Invitees were from a list bought from American Express Black Cardholders. Over the 4 days about 25 couples attended & we sold 6 cars. This was a huge sucess since AM only sold abought 300 cars in the U.S. in 2001. I don't know how many units they sell annually now but with thier " entry level" cars I bet it's 5 times the 2001 total
very very interesting story on AM. sold 6 cars in 4 days during an event that's huge. but yeah, able to target the right audience is the key. otherwise the return will be greatly diminished
Old 07-16-09, 12:03 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The events that I've done this year & last have been done via email invite. I've noticed less crowds, less wait compared to years past because events were advertised to a select few instead of the general public via lexus.com, bmwusa.com etc.. Recently, I did the BMW M Tour & the Lexus event through Ryan. There were guys on bimmerpost who had no idea that the M tour was taking place because they never recieved an invite. In order to attend, you had to call an 800# with your invite code. Apparently BMW already had my information including name, address once the code was given. No one could give a friend a code to register. I guess this is a means to cut down on crowds, freeloaders etc? Mercedes has the same format now.

All in all, these events are great for prospective buyers & driving enthusiasts alike. Lexus needs to think about canning the Taste of Lexus. It is Events like this that create excitement and enthusiasm rather than magazines, t.v. & computer screens.
Old 07-16-09, 12:30 PM
madoka
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1. I went to the AMG event last year where the cheapest model was the C63. The majority of the crowd were 17-20 year old kids wearing flip-flops and shorts. The cars they arrived in were largely 12-18 year old Civics and Camrys. They spent their time giving each other cuts in line and shouting at each other in Chinese. Total waste of time and money for MB.
Old 07-16-09, 12:41 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

The only event I went to that did not have the "cheap" crowd was one Audi put on at the Pacific Design Center in West Hollywood. It was mostly held indoors and the crowd was a mature artsie bunch. This was when the Q7 was debuting, but they had rides in the then new RS4 with a pro driver behind the wheel.
Old 07-16-09, 12:49 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

The age requirement to drive the vehicles at these events has been bumped to 25yrs & up. This cuts numbers for sure.. At 25 & under you are just wet behind the ears
Old 07-16-09, 12:51 PM
LexFather

I think the carmakers see this too, they are not stupid. While you can't judge a book by its cover it seems many of us share the same experiences. I don't want to be snobbish either but I was amazed at some of the behavior at the later events.

As stated, its not just the Lexus events but everyone's. As Henry stated if possible I would go AS EARLY AS POSSIBLE to avoid the big crowds.

Fizzboy7, true story, Audi was letting people drive the RS4 by themselves. Then some douchebag ripped up a RS4, I believe made a film, put it on an Audi forum site and Audi found it. Next thing you know they canned the RS4 rides b/c of one persons abuse It was all over the internet.....

Old 07-16-09, 12:57 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
The age requirement to drive the vehicles at these events has been bumped to 25yrs & up. This cuts numbers for sure.. At 25 & under you are just wet behind the ears
really? mininum 25 now? i think that's good decision. like you said, most people below 25.... oh well
Old 07-16-09, 01:15 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

really? mininum 25 now? i think that's good decision. like you said, most people below 25.... oh well
Yup.. From 21 to 25.. Here is my invite for M.

The power and precision of M.
Coming to a street near you

Here’s your chance to experience the high-performance drive of a lifetime - behind the wheel of the incredible 2009 M3. With its high-revving 414-hp engine, sport-tuned suspension and innovative M Double Clutch Transmission, the M3 is your key to the thrilling world of BMW’s racing heritage. And now, you're invited to pilot this powerful dream machine for yourself, courtesy of BMW’s complimentary M Power Tour street drive.

Put the M3 through its paces on a 25-minute street drive. Then check out the formidable M racecars on display, as well as the all-new X5 M and X6 M that meld M excitement with xDrive intelligent all-wheel drive. Participants must be 25 years or older. Spots are going fast, so reserve yours today by calling 1-866-900-4BMW.
Old 07-16-09, 02:25 PM
slvrboolet
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I liked the tol events i never really noticed any poor people lol most of them were mid 20's or older couple/people at the ones around here. I had alot of fun at them it was fun to test drive cars i have been interested in but not driven they should keep but have it for lexus owners only and they can bring a guest or 2. O well the economy sucks not surprising.
Old 07-16-09, 04:13 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by slvrboolet
I liked the tol events i never really noticed any poor people lol most of them were mid 20's or older couple/people at the ones around here. I had alot of fun at them it was fun to test drive cars i have been interested in but not driven they should keep but have it for lexus owners only and they can bring a guest or 2. O well the economy sucks not surprising.
only for lexus owners that's not a good idea. lexus should try to diverge the market and attract owners of other competitors
Old 07-16-09, 04:33 PM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
The only event I went to that did not have the "cheap" crowd was one Audi put on at the Pacific Design Center in West Hollywood. It was mostly held indoors and the crowd was a mature artsie bunch. This was when the Q7 was debuting, but they had rides in the then new RS4 with a pro driver behind the wheel.
RS4 Pro Driver ride along in West Hollywood?

Quick Reply: Lexus dumping Taste of Lexus... =(