Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus dumping Taste of Lexus... =(

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-09, 12:25 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts
Default Lexus dumping Taste of Lexus... =(

I know this was posted the other day, but I am really disappointed they are discontinuing the Taste of Lexus events. This event was partly what got me into my IS. Ringing an IS-F around a track with a pro driver was earth-moving. And the practice one gets learning how to avoid hazards and make evasive moves was invaluable. Not to mention testing the abilities of all the other models.
I hope they still offer some sort of similar venue and another way to get the $750 certificate.
Do you agree this is a good move or do you think TOL has purpose? How effective do you think it was for sales? I know Audi still does a similar event, do other manufacturers also do them?

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/07/13/l...on-compete-wi/
Old 07-16-09, 12:30 AM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

While the article says Lexus is dumping the $1 million+ Taste of Lexus events, that was something which was also reported in 2007; and as such we no longer get the 'whole lineup, food and drink, displays and showcase' full-on events for the whole family.

But they still held smaller test drive events, such as recently for the HS / IS-C, and also Taste of Lexus drive events at major shopping districts; and they did have that IS-F event you mentioned. I'm guessing that they will still continue these more intimate events.

As for the whole Taste of Lexus showcase with the food and exhibits, I'm thinking that Lexus should find a way to incorporate that into a 'museum' or some kind of expanded dealership experience.
Old 07-16-09, 12:35 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

snip snip snip snip. Its inevitable
Old 07-16-09, 12:38 AM
LexFather

I liked the Taste events when they first started and it seemed truly targeted to Lexus owners...they were more lax, the food was better, etc.

As the popularity grew, they got more restrictive, lines got longer, portions got smaller

That said I appreciated each and every one!!! It was a great time to spend with friends and family while checking out what Lexus had to offer.

DaveGS4, KristaP, Lowbuxrcr, myself attended the IS-F event where you paid the $300 to drive it at AMS and it was well worth it! Not just for the IS-F but to try the F-sport cars as well. Really sold me on them......

Old 07-16-09, 01:14 AM
jracerlmn
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX

As the popularity grew, they got more restrictive, lines got longer, portions got smaller
I agree. When i went the first time I LOVED it. Didn't feel smushed at all. The subsequent times I went I felt like someone at Disneyland; complete with rednecks hollering and shoving you out the way.
Old 07-16-09, 01:18 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by jracerlmn
I agree. When i went the first time I LOVED it. Didn't feel smushed at all. The subsequent times I went I felt like someone at Disneyland; complete with rednecks hollering and shoving you out the way.
The last one I went to was more subdue. My thinking was the IS-F weeded out the mom's and dad's and straddlers. It was actually a very controlled event (Fontana, CA). The one in Pasadena, CA was a zoo.

***AHHHH! My 1000th post!*** =D
Old 07-16-09, 05:05 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

that's unfortunate, because i think they created a HUGE boost in excitement for the lexus brand and a feeling that the company is a class act all the way.

maybe it will be back when they have more new models.
Old 07-16-09, 06:00 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Very unfortunate. Why? I remember the many Taste of Lexus Events I attended with NYC locals.. We sure had some fun.. Oh well, there are other events by various car makers for those seeking driving thrills. I have a few on the schedule
Old 07-16-09, 07:37 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 219 Likes on 147 Posts

We never have those up here anyway ...
Old 07-16-09, 07:49 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

I will not be missing it.
Old 07-16-09, 09:28 AM
gshb
Lead Lap

i too wont be missing it. it was pretty mediocre. maybe that was when it was popular. best event(s) ive been to were mazda, mercedes, and audi. real food and real cars. even though a maybach isnt that appealing, you could test drive one! and being driven around sears point in an r8 by a professional is fun to say the least.
Old 07-16-09, 10:17 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I liked the Taste events when they first started and it seemed truly targeted to Lexus owners...they were more lax, the food was better, etc.

That said I appreciated each and every one!!! It was a great time to spend with friends and family while checking out what Lexus had to offer.

DaveGS4, KristaP, Lowbuxrcr, myself attended the IS-F event where you paid the $300 to drive it at AMS and it was well worth it! Not just for the IS-F but to try the F-sport cars as well. Really sold me on them......
pretty much how i feel about it too. the first 2 yrs were wow, loved it, loved everything about it

the past 2 yrs were crap, not really lexus problems, but more like the cheap crowd who were there to destroy things and fight for food. i wonder if half of them can actually afford a luxury car

if they do it again, i hope they get more specific about audience
Old 07-16-09, 10:24 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 219 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
pretty much how i feel about it too. the first 2 yrs were wow, loved it, loved everything about it

the past 2 yrs were crap, not really lexus problems, but more like the cheap crowd who were there to destroy things and fight for food. i wonder if half of them can actually afford a luxury car
Maybe that's why Lexus is cancelling them ...
Old 07-16-09, 10:30 AM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl

if they do it again, i hope they get more specific about audience
+1 I remember when a guy I knew bought a new 2000 LS he was invited to come to a event to play golf & nice sitdown dinner there where Lexus on display but if you didn't ask about them nothing was said about Lexus
Old 07-16-09, 10:31 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
Maybe that's why Lexus is cancelling them ...
i know for sure that's why i go very early, usually the first slot when there is no one, and then leave asap usually without bothering with food

i don't want to put myself onto their level

Quick Reply: Lexus dumping Taste of Lexus... =(