Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

DC police chief calls I phone speed trap dodgers " cowardly"

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-09, 08:53 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 296 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Before you can say that, you would have to look at a number of factors, such as the accident rate on that stretch of road before and after the cameras were installed, the severity of the accidents that did occur, and number of injuries/deaths. To just come out and say, in blanket terms, that the cameras do not affect safety is not necessarily an accurate statement.
It certainly is an accurate statement in Illinois. The various police departments here have been getting a lot of bad press lately for the explosion of red-light camera deployments. Of particular note are the hundreds installed at intersections that haven't had a SINGLE accident in years (some haven't had one in 15 years or more). Apparently they're setting them up to ticket people who (legally) right turn on red at very safe intersections, with the understanding that most won't bother to fight--a good assumption, since the conviction rate is 90%.

It's ALWAYS about the money...
Old 07-20-09, 09:01 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by geko29
Of particular note are the hundreds installed at intersections that haven't had a SINGLE accident in years (some haven't had one in 15 years or more). Apparently they're setting them up to ticket people who (legally) right turn on red at very safe intersections, with the understanding that most won't bother to fight--a good assumption, since the conviction rate is 90%.
The main problem, though, with the right-turn-on-red rule, is that many, if not most, people do not come to a full stop on red when turning right. In fact, some of them don't even bother to slow down....they simply take a brief glance to the left to check for traffic and barrel right through with the right turn. I see this constantly in NoVA, day in and day out.

The cameras, however, do NOT put any points on your driving record......they can't, because the camera usually can't determine who is driving the car. It simply sends a ticket (after local police review the data to see if it is warranted) to the address of the car's registered owner.
Old 07-20-09, 09:44 AM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by felixsc300
An iPhone with a speed trap-avoiding app? That's it, I'm getting an iPhone.
+1, i will seriously consider the iPhone when it's time to get a new phone
Old 07-20-09, 10:13 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

w00t, downloading it now.
Old 07-20-09, 10:35 AM
rogers2
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I think this is a great idea by iPHONE. (Cameras)This one of the main reasons I rarely even drive thru DC. I went out in DC on Saurday night so it's almost an 80% chance I'll probaly receiving a ticket in the mail.

It's all about money.
Old 07-20-09, 11:10 AM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

The main problem, though, with the right-turn-on-red rule, is that many, if not most, people do not come to a full stop on red when turning right. In fact, some of them don't even bother to slow down....they simply take a brief glance to the left to check for traffic and barrel right through with the right turn. I see this constantly in NoVA, day in and day out.
Why not leave the right on red to common sense though? I mean honestly, I see no reason to come to a complete stop if I'm pulling up to make a right turn and there is NO-ONE on the road, why should you stop? If you are clear headed and you CLEARLY see it's an open road, then right on red with no stopping shouldn't be illegal.
Old 07-20-09, 11:17 AM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Jewcano
Why not leave the right on red to common sense though? I mean honestly, I see no reason to come to a complete stop if I'm pulling up to make a right turn and there is NO-ONE on the road, why should you stop? If you are clear headed and you CLEARLY see it's an open road, then right on red with no stopping shouldn't be illegal.
agreed. but rules are rules unfortunately.
Old 07-20-09, 11:18 AM
SurfsUP
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Safety my @$$.

I live right next to a police sub station and everyday I see cops in patrol vehicles and own personal off duty vehicles speeding pass everyone at a very high rate of speed.
Old 07-20-09, 11:28 AM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by SurfsUP
Safety my @$$.

I live right next to a police sub station and everyday I see cops in patrol vehicles and own personal off duty vehicles speeding pass everyone at a very high rate of speed.
Abuse of power plain and simple. When I still had my SC my speedometer was kinda glitchy and apparently I was going 60 in a 45, but my speedometer only showed 52ish. Cop was way ahead of me speeding and jammed on his brakes and pulled behind me and pulled me over. His excuse for speeding was that he was on call.
Old 07-20-09, 11:44 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 296 Likes on 228 Posts

I agree with you in concept. But in practice, they take a still picture of you because you crossed the line while the light was red. It's up to you to prove to the judge that you stopped, which is basically impossible.

The cameras, however, do NOT put any points on your driving record......they can't, because the camera usually can't determine who is driving the car. It simply sends a ticket (after local police review the data to see if it is warranted) to the address of the car's registered owner.
This is true...especially since we don't have a point system here. But as I said before, it's all about the money, and points don't help them earn, so it's immaterial in these cases.
Old 07-20-09, 12:38 PM
Lets Drive
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by geko29
I agree with you in concept. But in practice, they take a still picture of you because you crossed the line while the light was red. It's up to you to prove to the judge that you stopped, which is basically impossible.
I wouldn't say its impossible.

I’d once received a red light ticket due to slick pavement, where I was able to prove there was a stop attempt, but failed due to hydroplaning. It didn't even make it to court, as I phoned the contact number, where the officer saw that my speed was below the limit to begin with, my brake lights were illuminated in both the before and after photos, but my speed was consistent, again due to hydroplaning. The camera took the photo, but it was thrown out upon review.

I'd imagine the same could be argued if the 1st photo in a red light ticket showed that the vehicle had come to a complete stop, as opposed to rolling through at a speed obviously above that which we would normally accelerate to, from a stop.

While that may seem okay in theory, I believe in actual practice, it poses a problem (not that people really obey the current law, anyway). Most drivers in the DC/VA/MD area, simply roll right through, as opposed to coming to a full stop. While it may seem to make sense if its clear, many times these people take it a step further, and attempt to beat traffic making a left turn, or traffic going straight, after the perpendicular green light.

I just don’t think enough drivers have the discipline to properly adhere to a revision in the law, to get behind changing it. I’m happy parts of MD allow for rights on red, as-is…it’s a pain going to other areas or states that don’t, and I’ve seen some intersections where they’ve decided to place “no right on red” signs, likely as a response to impatient drivers.
Old 07-20-09, 01:49 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You know, I think this will cause crashes to go up.

People with iPhones will have this app. These same people will now be looking at their phone A LOT more. Also, people will be driving along *check the phone* see omg speed trap ahead ***BRAKE***.

So DC should take all these speed traps out in order for safety to increase.

Oh I forgot to add, all those people who will now get the iPhone for this very app. They'll be driving along and trying to use the app & the iPhone in general.
Old 07-21-09, 06:21 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Faymester
You know, I think this will cause crashes to go up.

People with iPhones will have this app. These same people will now be looking at their phone A LOT more. Also, people will be driving along *check the phone* see omg speed trap ahead ***BRAKE***.

So DC should take all these speed traps out in order for safety to increase.

Oh I forgot to add, all those people who will now get the iPhone for this very app. They'll be driving along and trying to use the app & the iPhone in general.
you dont need to have the app open for it to work. also it can alert you like a normal radar dector. check out trapster.com which is the site for it.
Old 07-21-09, 08:45 AM
Milla...

All this police chief did was advertise this app. Thanks, I had no idea this existed.
Old 07-21-09, 08:57 AM
duboseq
Pole Position

Originally Posted by f=ma
No...the goal of speed traps is to increase revenue for BIG BROTHER....

I agree. That lady can eat a **** sandwhich!

Quick Reply: DC police chief calls I phone speed trap dodgers " cowardly"