Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

DC police chief calls I phone speed trap dodgers " cowardly"

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-09, 09:19 AM
LexFather

Thats b/c the police chief knows cameras and radar are for REVENUE not to save lives. I applaud this app and might by it to support them even if I am not in D.C.

The government loves to use technology to keep us in line but oddly doesn't like it when its not to their advantage.

Old 07-21-09, 10:37 AM
ntran18
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Thats b/c the police chief knows cameras and radar are for REVENUE not to save lives. I applaud this app and might by it to support them even if I am not in D.C.

The government loves to use technology to keep us in line but oddly doesn't like it when its not to their advantage.
That's the stupidity of these systems (redlight/speed cams). A certain number of people are expect to pay for these systems. If they don't achieve break-even, then these system operate at a loss. Loss should not be issue if it is about safety.
Old 07-21-09, 11:12 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

A moot point. Don't forget......we're talking about D.C., not a usual traffic area. D.C., as I said in an earlier post, is so built-up, full of red lights (and potholes/torn-up roads) that, in most parts of the city, speeding is out of the question anyway, cameras or no cameras. So, in THIS particular instance, the revenue-only argument of the speed cameras may have some validity, but that is not necessarily the case nationwide. However, in D.C., the red-light camera revenue-only argument is less persuasive. Red-light-running and not stopping before the right-turn-on-red rule have been serious problems now, in this area, for quite some time.
Old 07-21-09, 11:14 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

I remember a thread here sometime last year about a city in Texas that stopped using red light camera's because it was not making enough money. So much for safety being a concern.
Old 07-21-09, 02:50 PM
LexFather

Everyone should take mass transit for a day.....

Old 07-21-09, 02:54 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Everyone should take mass transit for a day.....

And get killed? Here, in the D.C. area, we're still reeling from one of the worst subway disasters in recent history, just a few weeks ago. And a smaller, less serious one just happened in San Francisco.
Old 07-21-09, 05:25 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
And get killed? Here, in the D.C. area, we're still reeling from one of the worst subway disasters in recent history, just a few weeks ago. And a smaller, less serious one just happened in San Francisco.
In DC they lose more lives to gunshot wounds than subway accidents almost every year. In SF bay area most mass transit deaths lately are suicides when people walk in front of moving diesel locomotives, what a mess. Sad but true.
Old 07-21-09, 08:07 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by IS-SV
In DC they lose more lives to gunshot wounds than subway accidents almost every year. In SF bay area most mass transit deaths lately are suicides when people walk in front of moving diesel locomotives, what a mess. Sad but true.
Well, for that matter, D.C. probably has more AIDS deaths and drug overdoses each year than from gunshot wounds (many of which are drug-related). And the D.C. MetroRail system, indeed, as you note, has had an exemplary safety record since its founding, but the last few years have seen several disturbing accidents....one of which was fatal.

In D.C. we have Metro suicides too, but usually (not always) they involve local winos.

Back on topic (the D.C. Police Chief), I agree with the earlier poster that she is just a mouthpiece for the Mayor....neither one has impressed me since they took power, although Mayor Fenty, in general, has done a better job than during Marion Barry's long mayoral reign. No one could possibly run a worse Administration than Barry did.
Old 07-21-09, 10:13 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Well, for that matter, D.C. probably has more AIDS deaths and drug overdoses each year than from gunshot wounds (many of which are drug-related). And the D.C. MetroRail system, indeed, as you note, has had an exemplary safety record since its founding, but the last few years have seen several disturbing accidents....one of which was fatal.

In D.C. we have Metro suicides too, but usually (not always) they involve local winos.

Back on topic (the D.C. Police Chief), I agree with the earlier poster that she is just a mouthpiece for the Mayor....neither one has impressed me since they took power, although Mayor Fenty, in general, has done a better job than during Marion Barry's long mayoral reign. No one could possibly run a worse Administration than Barry did.
Yes, the garbage on CHIT CHAT keeps on coming......... Back Off Topic............