Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

DC police chief calls I phone speed trap dodgers " cowardly"

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-09, 11:40 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts
Default DC police chief calls I phone speed trap dodgers " cowardly"

D.C. police chief Cathy Lanier, frustrated that iPhone technology is one step ahead of the red-light and speed cameras in her jurisdiction, has announced that those who use their hand-held electronic devices are "cowardly" and "...are going to get caught" in one way or another.

The subscription-based software that has Lanier shaking her fists and blurting out names is called PhantomAlert. In a nutshell, its GPS-enhanced database of law enforcement "points of interest" mimics alarms similar to those common to radar detectors (remember, radar detectors are already illegal in Virginia and D.C.). Drivers are alerted to approaching speed traps and photo enforcing locations on in their iPhone, or portable GPS units, enabling them time to slow down.

Not surprising when you consider that the greater D.C. area is home to nearly 10 percent of all traffic cameras in the U.S., according to experts. Chief Lanier is frustrated that the innovative technology is "designed to circumvent law enforcement -- law enforcement that is designed specifically to save lives." What Lanier seems to be forgetting is that attentive drivers using PhantomAlert will be slowing down at all 290 enforcement zones... saving countless lives in the process.
Attached Thumbnails DC police chief calls I phone speed trap dodgers " cowardly"-traffic_x_250.jpg  
Old 07-18-09, 11:47 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

D.C. police chief Cathy Lanier, ..., has announced that those who use their hand-held electronic devices are "cowardly" and "...are going to get caught" in one way or another.
What a stupid thing to say; I find law enforcement people say these types of things when they have absolutely no idea what to do about something that completely squashes their efforts to nab you doing something they would prefer you not do.
Old 07-19-09, 12:50 AM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

cowardly??? Smart is more like it...
Old 07-19-09, 01:04 AM
TCM55
Intermediate

Received 67 Likes on 36 Posts

What Lanier seems to be forgetting is that attentive drivers using PhantomAlert will be slowing down at all 290 enforcement zones... saving countless lives in the process.
That has to be the most important point made in the article. The goal of red cameras and speed traps is to reduce speeding. If the iphone app aids in that process, then it is actually beneficially to the safety of everyone. I think there is irritation just because this leads to less revenue from these speed/red light devices.
Old 07-19-09, 02:30 AM
f=ma
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by TCM55
That has to be the most important point made in the article. The goal of red cameras and speed traps is to reduce speeding. If the iphone app aids in that process, then it is actually beneficially to the safety of everyone. I think there is irritation just because this leads to less revenue from these speed/red light devices.
No...the goal of speed traps is to increase revenue for BIG BROTHER....
Old 07-19-09, 06:30 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Looks like someone wont be paid as much
Old 07-19-09, 07:41 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

These cameras are every bit as much about revenue as they are about safety.
Old 07-19-09, 09:50 AM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

She want's to talk about cowardly? How about how cops sit in the bushes pulling people over or sit on the sides of roads pulling people over instead of doing their job and saving lives or stopping criminals. Which one is more cowardly?
Old 07-19-09, 11:15 AM
LexLaw
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Dead On!!! I don't even know where to start with this one.
Old 07-19-09, 11:18 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's been proven. I agree.
Old 07-19-09, 02:12 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Like you say, it's about BOTH. If it were ONLY revenue-oriented (as many people falsely believe), the cops wouldn't be that concerned with them, since it isn't their job to bring in revenue, but to increase safety.
Old 07-19-09, 02:15 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by IS-SV
That's been proven. I agree.
See my answer to LexBob2:

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Like you say, it's about BOTH. If it were ONLY revenue-oriented (as many people falsely believe), the cops wouldn't be that concerned with them, since it isn't their job to bring in revenue, but to increase safety.
Old 07-19-09, 02:17 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
What Lanier seems to be forgetting is that attentive drivers using PhantomAlert will be slowing down at all 290 enforcement zones... saving countless lives in the process.
Originally Posted by TCM55

Apparantly, then, you guys are agreeing that, all else equal, lower speeds often saves lives.

You are correct.
Old 07-19-09, 02:37 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 758 Likes on 528 Posts

Originally Posted by Jewcano
She want's to talk about cowardly? How about how cops sit in the bushes pulling people over or sit on the sides of roads pulling people over instead of doing their job and saving lives or stopping criminals. Which one is more cowardly?
That was the first thing that popped in my head too
Old 07-19-09, 06:30 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I think the fact that she called them cowardly just means she is pissed because it works.

Quick Reply: DC police chief calls I phone speed trap dodgers " cowardly"