Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

The Golden Parachute has opened for GM's Rick Wagoner

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-09, 11:55 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts
Default The Golden Parachute has opened for GM's Rick Wagoner

When Rick Wagoner was forced out of his position as the CEO of General Motors last March, he left with a severance plan that included $22 million paid out over the course of a few years, plus a yearly pension. Just a few months later, The Los Angeles Times is reporting that Mr. Wagoner has worked out a deal with his ex-employer that will "only" pay out $8.2 million, plus $74,030 per year for life, along with health and life insurance plans. Wagoner's retirement becomes official on August 1, at which time he can begin reaping the benefits of his golden parachute.

Wagoner's severance, while greatly reduced, is still worth more money than most Americans will earn in their lifetime, and it will doubtlessly prompt some to once again question big payouts to ex-executives at federally bailed out companies. We wonder if now is a bad time to hit up Wagoner for a low interest loan to help us get into a new Camaro...
Attached Thumbnails The Golden Parachute has opened for GM's Rick Wagoner-gm-rick-wagoner-i-pinch-getty-580.jpg  
Old 07-19-09, 05:24 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Repost

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car-chat/440704-wagoners-retirement-package-cut-by-14-million.html
Old 07-19-09, 07:12 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

this was posted on autoblog 1-2 days ago as new news. Sorry but we all dont know this info obviously.

I think repost sensitivity is funny. I am just trying to keep the forum alive and fresh.
Old 07-19-09, 07:26 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
We wonder if now is a bad time to hit up Wagoner for a low interest loan to help us get into a new Camaro...
If you want a new Camaro, let them get the teething problems out first (we've already got a thread going on that). Hopefully, the absurd supply/demand situation will improve in the future, too (I hear from the Chevy people that virtually the entire 2010 model-run is sold-out from back-orders).
Old 07-19-09, 09:47 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

I think repost sensitivity is funny. I am just trying to keep the forum alive and fresh.
Good luck with that.
Old 07-19-09, 09:52 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
If you want a new Camaro, let them get the teething problems out first (we've already got a thread going on that). Hopefully, the absurd supply/demand situation will improve in the future, too (I hear from the Chevy people that virtually the entire 2010 model-run is sold-out from back-orders).
Th stuff written on the first post was taken from autoblog. I would never ever ever ever buy American. Especially not a first generation POS model with a thousand problems.

I hate American cars
Old 07-20-09, 04:31 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Good luck with that.
Dawg days of summer... +1
Old 07-20-09, 05:38 AM
wmb0000
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To be the CEO of any big company is everyone's dream. No matter how you run the company, even to the ground and got fire, you will still end up with millions in severence package or retirement.
Old 07-20-09, 08:27 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rdgdawg
Dawg days of summer... +1
You're awake obviously.
Old 07-20-09, 08:35 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Th stuff written on the first post was taken from autoblog. I would never ever ever ever buy American. Especially not a first generation POS model with a thousand problems.

I hate American cars
Despite the Camaro's problems (which may be coming from owner abuse), not all new American-designed vehicles have teething problems. The Chevy Malibu, for instance, had a good first year, and the Ford Fusion/Mercury Milan/Lincoln Zephyr/MKZ triplets have done very well since the first day they were released. Even the Camaro's rival Mustang, another car that is often abused with burnouts, did reasonably well, reliability-wise, the first year......but that may be partly because of the Mustang's unsophisticated but durable live rear axle, which the Camaro lacks.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-20-09 at 08:38 AM.
Old 07-20-09, 08:45 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

When Rick Wagoner was forced out of his position as the CEO of General Motors last March, he left with a severance plan that included $22 million paid out over the course of a few years, plus a yearly pension. Just a few months later, The Los Angeles Times is reporting that Mr. Wagoner has worked out a deal with his ex-employer that will "only" pay out $8.2 million, plus $74,030 per year for life, along with health and life insurance plans. Wagoner's retirement becomes official on August 1, at which time he can begin reaping the benefits of his golden parachute.
While, of course, 22 million is not chump change, the $74,000 lifetime pension is not that much for a big-company CEO. That's about what the average higher-grade Federal Employee (say, a GS-14/15 manager) retires with.