Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Honda President: No need for RWD

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-09, 12:18 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With Honda being this reluctant to invest in Acura, it almost makes me feel like they should just forget the brand all together. They can move things like SHAWD and their navi systems as top end options into cars like the Accord and Pilot, and maybe create a flagship off the RL platform and be done with it.

There really is little sense in Acura, when you think about it.
Old 07-20-09, 12:23 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
With Honda being this reluctant to invest in Acura, it almost makes me feel like they should just forget the brand all together. They can move things like SHAWD and their navi systems as top end options into cars like the Accord and Pilot, and maybe create a flagship off the RL platform and be done with it.

There really is little sense in Acura, when you think about it.
I've said this the last 4 or 5 years really...its a shame b/c all the fanbois hopes and dreams continue to be laughed at by Acura execs...

I won't start a thread someone else can but if you want to laugh even more, the new ZDX absoutely useless and ridiculous and X6 knock-off/Aztek vehicle debuts

Old 07-20-09, 12:30 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

But this has been Hondas general attitude in the last decade. The have been reluctant to invest in anything. Their engines are still basically late 80ies/early 90ies design. Their transmissions are 90ies. They havent improved their CVTs or their Hybrids technology either.

There really is little sense in Honda, when you think about it.
Old 07-20-09, 12:35 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Och
But this has been Hondas general attitude in the last decade. The have been reluctant to invest in anything. Their engines are still basically late 80ies/early 90ies design. Their transmissions are 90ies. They havent improved their CVTs or their Hybrids technology either.

There really is little sense in Honda, when you think about it.
Lol, wouldn't go that far. Clearly PLENTY of people are happy with them, they have always ran a profitable business and they have brought quite a few innovations to the market.

Remember I used to say "useless press release" when we heard all the rumors of Tier 1, V-8, RWD, this, that etc.

I was right. Useless. This is out the horses mouth.

What alarms me is Honda seems to be HAPPY the recession hit so they can "cop out" of not investing in Acura and just blame the economy. Sadly everyone else continues to invest.

Old 07-20-09, 12:36 PM
madmax2k1
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Typical Honda stubbornness and arrogance; I'm surprised that Acura still sells more cars than Infiniti in the US, I guess the Honda fan boys are keeping the Acura brand alive.
Old 07-20-09, 12:36 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Breaking News >> Acura will (FINALLY) Offer a 6 Speed Automatic Transmission for the 2010 Model Year

Breaking News: 3:31pm
7/20/2009
Author: MPLexus301

After years of being laughed at by internet forums, automotive enthusiasts, company executives, and it's own loyalists, uncomfirmed reports are coming in that Acura will finally add a 6 speed automatic to it's MDX sport utility vehicle for the 2010 model year. The 2010 Acura ZDX Crossover coupe utility vehicle/space egg/Aztek/X6 competitor/beaked nightmare/question to the answer that nobody asked will also come with a 6 speed automatic mated to a 3.7L V6 engine, the same motor that debuted in the 2009 TL-S.

At this time we cannot fully confirm the report of a 6AT being added to the MDX, but the thought of Acura making such a daring and cutting edge improvement was noteworthy in itself. Many other manufacturers began implementing 6 speed automatics as early as 2003, so Acura's entrance to the party, while 7 years late, is seen as better late than never.

Stay tuned for the updates, and you can see more info here: http://www.vtec.net/news/news-item?news_item_id=842310
Can it be true?
Old 07-20-09, 12:45 PM
KA8
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

There's no need for luxury brand from HOnda. It'll be more efficient if they sell everything under Honda brand.
Old 07-20-09, 12:45 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

6spd auto? Honda, welcome to 2003
Old 07-20-09, 01:22 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Unfortunately for the Acura fans, this announcement has really been the nail in the coffin. I have cruised through a few forums and this title/image seems to tell the story:
Attached Thumbnails Honda President: No need for RWD-acura.jpg  
Old 07-20-09, 01:39 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

all i can say is:

oh well. who cares...
Old 07-20-09, 02:03 PM
AD_SC3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well lets be honest, their drive train should be the least of their worries. Where in Gods name are they going with their designs?
Old 07-20-09, 02:30 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Twan0690
Well lets be honest, their drive train should be the least of their worries. Where in Gods name are they going with their designs?

they're trying to be unique.

Hyundai got smart, and stopped trying to be unique. it wasn't working
Old 07-20-09, 02:54 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
This idea obviously came from the BMW X6. The X6 didn't sell, and I don't think this will either.
Old 07-20-09, 02:57 PM
ViniZaoD
Rookie

Originally Posted by dunnojack
they're trying to be unique.

Hyundai got smart, and stopped trying to be unique. it wasn't working
yes.

now every time a genesis sedan passes you and your mates can play the funnest game ever and try to guess which part was ripped off of what brand. The only one that's obvious is that the headlights/grille are MB.
Old 07-20-09, 03:49 PM
Stormwind
Racer

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Which of the two would you prefer?

Oh man that is so funny I couldn't stop laughing, but also so true!

Quick Reply: Honda President: No need for RWD