Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Honda President: No need for RWD

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-09, 05:01 PM
FinalBurst
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
This really reinforces the fact that Acura is more of a top-shelf Honda trim level, not so much an independent brand
I disagree.
Rebadging the Euro-spec Accord as the TSX hurts Acura far more than abandoning plans on V8 engines and RWD platforms. Acura is slowly branching away from Honda, and I'm interested to see where they go. The economic downturn really hurt Acura's chances of becoming more independent, as their introduction to Japan was halted, as was development of the NSX.

To be honest though, none of the Japanese luxury brands are all that independent. Lexus seemed to be going in that direction, and then took a few steps back. (Rebadging the LX and the GX, the fact that L-Finesse looks shockingly similar to Toyota's Vibrant Clarity, etc.)

Honestly, I've been more impressed with Acura then all of the Japanese luxury brands as of late. The TSX and TL redesigns, while they're very love it or hate it, have made quite a stir. I still do not like badge engineering, but Acura is making moves that Lexus should seek to follow, specifically, having two lines that don't look so similar.
Old 07-20-09, 05:52 PM
werewolf
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
This idea obviously came from the BMW X6. The X6 didn't sell, and I don't think this will either.
What are you talking about?

Who doesn't want a cramped SUV with space for only 4 people and no luggage?
Old 07-20-09, 06:07 PM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In 1976, The newly released Accord had 76 HP. 33 years later, a V6 powered Accord has 271 HP. 30 years from now, an accord will have a conservative 400+ HP, and it will all go to the front wheels? 30 years from now, 400+ HP/35 mpg will be easy but I think most cars will be RWD by then. Mr. Ito will recant his statement in the near future. He'll have no choice.
Old 07-20-09, 06:20 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by werewolf
What are you talking about?
What am I talking about? Exactly what I said in my post. In plain English, it appears to have been strongly influenced by the BMW X6. The X6 has not proven popular, for several reasons, including its compromised versatility, and I don't think the ZDX will either. Could I be wrong? Yes, it is possible, but I will honestly be surprised if the ZDX does sell. Its front grille, IMO, is almost as ugly as that of the ill-fated Pontiac Aztek's, though the rear end is a little sleeker.

Who doesn't want a cramped SUV with space for only 4 people and no luggage?
I think you partially answered your own question here. In fact, those looking for a sportish-oriented SUV will probably walk down to the other end of the Acura showroom and look at the RDX instead. The RDX offers a lot of bang for the buck for an SUV, with its turbo 4, sharp handling, and lack of body roll. Like the ZDX, it does not have a lot of space inside, but the more squarish rear-end design and higher roofline gives it a little more cargo-carrying flexibility. The downside to the sharp handling, of course, is a rather stiff suspension and firm ride. It is also likely to cost less than a ZDX.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-20-09 at 06:27 PM.
Old 07-20-09, 06:58 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by FinalBurst
I disagree.
Rebadging the Euro-spec Accord as the TSX hurts Acura far more than abandoning plans on V8 engines and RWD platforms. Acura is slowly branching away from Honda, and I'm interested to see where they go. The economic downturn really hurt Acura's chances of becoming more independent, as their introduction to Japan was halted, as was development of the NSX.

To be honest though, none of the Japanese luxury brands are all that independent. Lexus seemed to be going in that direction, and then took a few steps back. (Rebadging the LX and the GX, the fact that L-Finesse looks shockingly similar to Toyota's Vibrant Clarity, etc.)

Honestly, I've been more impressed with Acura then all of the Japanese luxury brands as of late. The TSX and TL redesigns, while they're very love it or hate it, have made quite a stir. I still do not like badge engineering, but Acura is making moves that Lexus should seek to follow, specifically, having two lines that don't look so similar.
Lexus is by far the most independent, its not even close.

The TSX and TL haven't caused a stir except when people want to laugh. How the hell can anyone be more impressed with what Acura has done than Lexus or Infiniti???That is insane and goes to this post below with is 100% on the money.

Originally Posted by madmax2k1
Typical Honda stubbornness and arrogance; I'm surprised that Acura still sells more cars than Infiniti in the US, I guess the Honda fan boys are keeping the Acura brand alive.

Old 07-20-09, 07:36 PM
B Dot
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

I like where the president says we dont want to mimic what other companies have been doing for 5 decades. Maybe there is a reason those companies have done that? It works. Anyway Im not sure where they go from here I guess whoever like Acura's will keep buying them but the new ZDX is ugly(and probably pointless), the TL is ugly the TSX isn't that good lookin either and their flagship RL is well not a flagship lol. I do think the MDX is pretty nice though.
Old 07-20-09, 07:52 PM
FinalBurst
Driver

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Lexus is by far the most independent, its not even close.
Yes they are, but it's not by that much. It's a problem that all of the Japanese luxury companies suffer from.
Old 07-20-09, 08:03 PM
LexFather

Yes they are, but it's not by that much. It's a problem that all of the Japanese luxury companies suffer from.
Sorry sir/maam but if you don't think its by that much, there is no reason for me to respond as it will fall on deaf ears.

Good day and believe that if you want to.

Old 07-20-09, 08:31 PM
FinalBurst
Driver

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Sorry sir/maam but if you don't think its by that much, there is no reason for me to respond as it will fall on deaf ears.

Good day and believe that if you want to.
Lexus is at times a technological force, I am not arguing that. I have an issue with badge engineering, something that Lexus, Infiniti, Acura, Cadillac, Buick, and Lincoln/Mercury are all guilty of.
Lexus had made great strides, but the LX and GX are not exactly helping the cause. (I was expecting the rumored JX to replace the two, but alas) All I'm saying is that I hope that the next generation of Lexus pushes the envelope even further in distancing them from Toyota. (I don't want to see a family resemblance between Toyota and Lexus. Their design languages should not mix.)
One thing I like that Acura has done recently, is incorporating a family front fascia. A lot of people hate the beak, but nonetheless, it unifies all of the vehicles from the company.
Old 07-20-09, 09:09 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

come 2016 it wont matter
Old 07-20-09, 11:50 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

None of their sedans or coupes will ever really be considered true performance cars with a ****ty FWD lay out. RWD is how god intended sporty vehicles to be set up as
Old 07-21-09, 12:10 AM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

Honda should stick with small and mid-sized cars, get rid of Acura, rename all the alphanumerical names back to normal alphabetical names. Revives Prelude and Integra, brings over European Civic Type R, continues the legacy of NSX but makes it a bit cheaper, makes the second generation Ridgeline a real truck, brings over Stream and Stepwagon, discontinues Element.
Old 07-21-09, 02:21 AM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

If I was the president of Honda, here's what I would do:
Bring back the old Honda hierarchy of dealers - Verno, Primo, and Clio in Japan. The US network will be shaken up.
Bring back the Prelude - this time in AWD+4WS, and a new S drop-top
Acura will be reformed, an RL under my watch will be V8+RWD or RWD-biased SH-AWD
The Civic will be revised, bring back its moddablity, but yet retain what the Civic's known for - dependable transportation. Offer the JDM Type R/RR here too, and maybe a AWD Civic Type R. The Civic Hybrid will be revamped - IMA will be improved.
Bring back the CRX, as a sporty hatchback as the CRX of the 80s but with a hybrid option - kill the Insight.
The Accord will be less of a Banglemobile, build on the 8th gen ideas but improve fit&finish and the interior quality. Offer a hybrid version, but with a I4.
Kill the Element, bring some of the ideas over to the CR-V, and offer it with a V6 as an option
The Ridgeline needs to be a real truck in the sense of a ladder frame and RWD, but keep its uniqueness: IRS, in-bed trunk, car-like cabin and ride. I think a new RWD-biased Ridgeline with a small V8 under the hood would be nice. I'm thinking the same idea as GM - base the Pilot and Ridgeline on the same platform, like the Escalade and Escalade EXT.
The Odyssey will get AWD standard - sorry Toyota. More power too and a hybrid option.
Old 07-21-09, 04:09 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

(I don't want to see a family resemblance between Toyota and Lexus. Their design languages should not mix.)
Lexus IS Toyota. They should, without question, mix.
Old 07-21-09, 04:20 AM
lex
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by IS350jet
Lexus IS Toyota. They should, without question, mix.
whaat?

Quick Reply: Honda President: No need for RWD