Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Honda President: No need for RWD

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-09, 08:45 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by IS350jet
Lexus IS Toyota. They should, without question, mix.

THe TOV comments are on point outside a few fanboys....a lot of these guys were hoping and hoping and now will shop elsewhere..

http://www.vtec.net/news/news-item?news_item_id=842482

Last edited by LexFather; 07-21-09 at 09:57 AM.

Old 07-21-09, 09:55 AM
bruce van
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Honda/Acura is just laughable these days. Everything they have put out in the last 5 years has been a flop, with the exception of the Accord, Fit, & CRV.

The Acura brand has fallen off of a cliff and there are no signs of it making it's way back into the perception of people. Branding is something that takes years to develop and unfortunately, Acura took its eye off the ball for much too long.

The luxury, high-end market is a very competitve place to be and you have to offer something better and different to attract people who are going to spend their hard earned money. With Acura's attitude and crappy designs, I won't miss them one bit once they are gone and Hyundai will take their place.

(steps off soap box)
Old 07-21-09, 09:58 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX

LOL! Ok, maybe that came out wrong. I DO NOT think they should look exactly alike. However, I don't think that Lexus should be so far removed from their parent company that they share absolutely nothing with them. I don't believe that Lexus should have a look that is so distinct, that you cannot tell that its parent company is Toyota.

That's a great animation, BTW!
Old 07-21-09, 10:29 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by IS350jet
LOL! Ok, maybe that came out wrong. I DO NOT think they should look exactly alike. However, I don't think that Lexus should be so far removed from their parent company that they share absolutely nothing with them. I don't believe that Lexus should have a look that is so distinct, that you cannot tell that its parent company is Toyota.

Oddly enough, when I think about it, Lexus and Toyota designs are a bit backwards.

Toyota are mostly FWD cars with little sport pretension. However, they come out with wildly designed body kits for the Yaris, Corolla, and Camry. Even their SUVs have Sport versions.

Lexus are mostly RWD cars with sport and performance oriented chassis. However, they come out with very conservative designs (with the exception of the IS line and LF-A). And there is no such thing as a Sport version of many of their cars; maybe Touring versions but not Sport versions (well, the F-Sport line are modifications, not production designs).

Oh well...
Old 07-21-09, 09:14 PM
YEH
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ViniZaoD
now every time a genesis sedan passes you and your mates can play the funnest game ever and try to guess which part was ripped off of what brand. The only one that's obvious is that the headlights/grille are MB.
That strategy worked for Lexus, as well as Infiniti and Acura.

Heck, even the current Accord is a mash of various autos.

Otoh, Infiniti, in the quest to get "original" - has gotten a little too bizarre w/ its styling - esp. w/ headlights/taillights shape/design (case in point the current FX which ruined the nice lines of the previous-gen FX). But at least Infiniti kept its version of the BMW Hofmeister kink C-pillar on the G.