Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Acura debuts 2010 ZDX (First drives in, now updated)

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-09, 10:05 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Where are the rear door handles? It must have forward-opening rear doors that can only be opened when the front ones are opened first.
I didn't even notice that amidst all the ugly.

Ok there's ONE cool thing about this monstrosity.

edit: never mind, stupid rear door handles ... coolness gone.
Old 07-20-09, 10:07 PM
sc-driver
Lexus Test Driver

that looks like it came out of someone's a$$ !
Old 07-20-09, 10:35 PM
pvmike1
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

"Stand down guys, I'm going to kill this one myself."

I always thought Honda was avoiding the V8 and RWD to produce cars that, although boring, would appeal to the masses. But so far, I've only seen one person on a car forum (Iceman, above) attempt to defend this vehicle, although saying you 'kind of like it' doesn't equal a future purchase. I have no idea how they will sell any of these. That thing makes the new TL look classy.

I used to love Integras, Legends, and NSXs, and in later years, I liked TLs and CLs (like the CL Type S 6-speed), but now there's nothing current I'd ever want to own, even used. Well, possibly a used, highly depreciated RL as a nondescript daily beater, but that's it. I remember the old days when it wasn't even safe to own a Type R vehicle, because both the car and its parts were in such high demand that it was a target for thieves. What's the last Acura that is theft worthy, the long gone RSX Type S? That's sad.

Do you know that Indy cars run 650 hp, 10,300 rpm, non-turbo, ethanol 3.5 Honda V8's? But no, we get this V6 pig. Thanks Honda.

Last edited by pvmike1; 07-20-09 at 10:39 PM.
Old 07-20-09, 11:27 PM
LexFather

Iceman every car forum thinks it's absolutely disgusting and no breakthrough not just here. He'll read the comments at motorauthority and autoblog and even Honda and Acura forums.
This thing screams " I like the x6 but it costs too much I'll settle for this ". Why are they calling it a coupe??? WTF?

I never thought the day would come when Acura is lamed out by Hyundai less powerful than a Kia and offers the ugliest vehicles sold today.

They should give their blind fanboys a lenscrafters giftcard with any new purchase!!

Old 07-20-09, 11:38 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

The X6 is a useless POS that is selling horribly. So what does Acura do???? They create their own version of this hunk of weird junk
Old 07-20-09, 11:40 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

man I just looked again and I really cant believe that anyone with Acura's design team actually let that POS fly. They should all be on the street looking for work after they let the TL come out the way it looks and now this???
Old 07-21-09, 06:28 AM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, no one else noticed the weird exhaust/reflector thing?

To be honest, the car isn't that ugly. It's got a gross looking C-pillar, weird exhaust/reflector thing, the lower front grilles with the fogs could use some redesigning and the rear tail light cluster-f could use some redesigning. This thing still can't beat the ugli-tude of the TL.
Old 07-21-09, 06:59 AM
Iceman
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Koma
Wow, no one else noticed the weird exhaust/reflector thing?
I did notice that, and I give them props for doing something different with that LS exhaust treatment that everyone's copying now.
Old 07-21-09, 07:04 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 721 Likes on 496 Posts

Originally Posted by ExTrEmE99
The door handle looks like its on that small window part. I didnt know they made door handles that high anymore... I thought it looked on tacky on pathfinders, and i think it looks tacky on a Acura too.
Yup, it took me a while to notice it
Old 07-21-09, 07:18 AM
rogers2
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

It's not that bad compare to some of the cars that are out right now. But will I purchase one. NOooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Why o Why o Acura

Please take a look at Jaquar
Old 07-21-09, 08:50 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Acura needs an intervention. A divine one and fast. I'm serious. They have got to open up their minds and culture to a more international direction. Find some brilliant whiz kid from Italy or England or somewhere who understands how to make form beautiful as well as functional. Beg, borrow, hijack... whatever it takes to get someone who has a credible sense of design at the wheel to steer them clear of the iceberg they are headed for.
Old 07-21-09, 08:56 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by speedflex
Acura needs an intervention. A divine one and fast. I'm serious. They have got to open up their minds and culture to a more international direction. Find some brilliant whiz kid from Italy or England or somewhere who understands how to make form beautiful as well as functional. Beg, borrow, hijack... whatever it takes to get someone who has a credible sense of design at the wheel to steer them clear of the iceberg they are headed for.
Won't happen. Remember they just opened their California design studio to "separate" Acura design from Honda. Every concept and new vehicle thus far is from that studio, where clearly they are high on PCP and other narcotics.

What makes it worse is they are trying to do something different but they still have the same old engines and tech and the interiors look like an Accords. At least with BMW design (which I don't like much) the performance and options match the outrageous styling.

Not to mention with the economy where it is, this styling is 6 years too late. People don't want to be noticed as much.

Once again, they are behind the times, even with "new" styling.

Originally Posted by lonewolf
Here's the designer who "designed" this ugly abomination.

http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.co...rive/

And ofcourse this guy who is responsible for the craptastic Acura and Honda designs of late should be shown the door.

Dave Marek - Head of Honda/Acura design.

Old 07-21-09, 09:12 AM
TCM55
Pit Crew

Received 66 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Won't happen. Remember they just opened their California design studio to "separate" Acura design from Honda. Every concept and new vehicle thus far is from that studio, where clearly they are high on PCP and other narcotics.

I think you hit it right on point.
Old 07-21-09, 09:27 AM
bruce van
Lexus Champion

Thanks for posting the picture of the woman responsible for this monstorsity and Dave Marek. It's good to put a name to the car and designs that will help sink Acura for years.

Unfortuntately, the executives who signed off on the project will continue their outrageous decisions are going to scratch their heads and wonder what went wrong.
Old 07-21-09, 09:42 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

I just want to know what was so "wrong" about this design that they had to go off the deep end and create the buck tooth and all of the other stylistic monstrocities:

How do you go from THAT, to what we have now?

Quick Reply: Acura debuts 2010 ZDX (First drives in, now updated)