Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Acura debuts 2010 ZDX (First drives in, now updated)

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-09, 04:29 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
FAIL. that is truly pathetic. i am undergoing therapy to forget i ever owned 2 acuras.
lmfao

Old 08-18-09, 07:45 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
wow they f'd this one up BIG TIME. As if the X6 was enough to fill the quota for utterly useless vehicles Acura topped it by making theirs even uglier
I'm willing to bet the Acura will outsell the X6, but that's not saying much at all.
Old 08-18-09, 07:49 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by IS-SV
I'm willing to bet the Acura will outsell the X6, but that's not saying much at all.
They wanted to sell 20 or 22k RDXs and missed that sales goal by a ton and now they wish to sell 15k of these angry staplers but I don't think they will sell much more than 8k and sales will only progressively get worse.

Here is a car to match the ZDX

Old 08-18-09, 08:23 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,419 Likes on 1,584 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
in related news, more people die of leprosy than bubonic plague.
Old 08-18-09, 08:24 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,419 Likes on 1,584 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
now they wish to sell 15k of these angry staplers
oh classic. rofl.

haha
Old 08-18-09, 09:42 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Well, since the whole point of cars like X6 and ZDX is to be as fugly and pointless as possible, the ZDX is a huge success since it managed to outdo the X6 in both of these categories.
Old 08-18-09, 09:43 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
oh classic. rofl.

haha
I knew it looked familiar, an angry stapler, that's it. lol
Old 08-18-09, 11:31 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

This is a sad sad day for Acura. It was ugly looking enough when they 1st put that grill on the RDX, Acura should have realized it and stop making that grill. Instead, they spread that decease grill onto their own line up. What were they thing of?

Last edited by The G Man; 08-18-09 at 11:34 AM.
Old 08-18-09, 11:49 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

The ZDX would've been wonderful to me.....if not for two MAJOR flaws:

1) Choice of rims
If your design is ugly or not up to par, then the rule is that using 7-spoke wheels will just ruin something that is already not as nice (or is damned).

If you look at cars such as the 3rd gen RX and the USDM version of the new Legacy, they look like ****. However, when 5-spokes and 10-spokes were used respectively, then the design flaws were minimized to a huge degree.

I suspect that anyone who would dare buy this would probably change those boring rims. And it's dismaying because these stock rims are the only one-and-only choice (and 19 inches to boot....but with lame-o design. Indeed, you'd be better of with something like this instead.

http://www.mugen-power.com/
http://www.mugen-power.com/street/ac.../parts/02.html

and

2) What the hell is with that C-pillar
Seriously, I mean just look at it

****ing huge C-pillar is more than just a weak point in its exterior design. More seriously though, it's a freaking huge blind spot and it actually looks more like a safety hazard to me.

Indeed, talk about poor rear visibility.

I mean sure, you have the rear camera on the screen and the sensors and all that but still, how could they not have see the implications of this freaking huge blind spot.

Safety hazard indeed. Really bad move their Acura :facepalm:

So my personal summary is:
Despite having strengths (first 6AT in a Honda/Acura vehicle; SH-AWD; neat interior; solid J37 engine and V6 power; etc.), these two flaws and possibly a few others (and that DISGUSTING "power plenum" front grille.....ugh) are huge/major deterrents and actually outweigh the benefits of this vehicle.

Hence:
As of the moment, I'm really not that impressed with this vehicle at all........
Old 08-18-09, 12:00 PM
LexFather

Yep, looks like an angry stapler. I said it before and to BMWs credit, they back up their "hey look at me" styling with performance. The X6 offers a turbo V-6 and V-8, a MX6 and now a hybrid. Acura does the opposite and this is a blatant knock-off.

So lets get past the looks. Lets say are have no sense of taste and are nearly legally blind so you like thing vehicle. Lets look at its merits or lacktheof;

The RX 350 is faster than this vehicle as the TSX as well as the Rav4 and their own RDX.Where is the acceleration in this "coupe"? Wasn't it made to perform? Where is it? Pathetic.
Its only 2 inches shorter than a TL but offers less cargo room than a Fit. It is 78 inches wide, that semi-truck wide. Yet you have to be headless to fit in the backseat.
MT is stating a Camry SE will outhandle it. So again, where is the performance?
The interior to its credit looks well built but thats never been a Honda/Acura issue. 12 shades of silver/grey is GMish but it seems nice.

One thing I can say about the X6 is reviews and people state it drives AMAZING for a dishwasher abortion. No matter what you think of its looks, the vehicle delivers in performance, pushing SUV boundaries on sport. I can totally respect that. It clearly has more cargo room than the ZDX as well.

WHAT IS THE POINT of THIS THING IS IT SACRIFICES THE UTILITY OF A SUV BUT PERFORMS WORSE THAN AN OLD MDX/RX/X5/SANTEFE/RAV4.

Geez, thanks Acura, your knock-off really makes me appreciate the X6 and now even the FX37/50. Those at least give you performance. (gotdamn they are ugly though)

http://www.autozah.net/pic_car_review/bmw_x6_6.jpg

Last edited by LexFather; 08-18-09 at 12:04 PM.

Old 08-18-09, 12:13 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

oh man. that interior shot tells a horrible story

your view of the world behind you is blocked by a big *** horizontal bar in the trunk lid.

so you only see the rear through a tiny slit of glass.

i can imagine this would be painful to drive with absolutely no rear view visibility
Old 08-18-09, 12:19 PM
Jetfire
Royale with cheese

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
dare I say that the X6 looks better

Agreed. Though not a big fan of the X6.
Old 08-18-09, 12:21 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

The thing is so ugly, I won't even bother to open the door.
Old 08-18-09, 12:26 PM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by dunnojack

oh man. that interior shot tells a horrible story

your view of the world behind you is blocked by a big *** horizontal bar in the trunk lid.

so you only see the rear through a tiny slit of glass.

i can imagine this would be painful to drive with absolutely no rear view visibility
Agreed.

Safety hazard indeed. Bad move there Acura.......
Old 08-18-09, 12:30 PM
LexFather

Actually the poor visibility is functional, its to protects friends and family from being recognized by others for riding in this thing

Quick Reply: Acura debuts 2010 ZDX (First drives in, now updated)