Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Hs250

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-09, 09:17 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by bagwell
yep, I found it...

Lexus on Monday announced pricing for its 2010 HS 250h. The standard version will have a retail price of $34,200 (plus $875 for delivery), while the Premium model will carry a price tag of $36,970. Although the new hybrid sedan is slightly shorter than the IS, the HS 250h is intended to slot between Lexus’ IS and ES ranges.

The car was first unveiled at the 2009 Detroit Auto Show, which was fitting since the annual event was the birthplace of Toyota’s luxury brand 20 years ago. The HS range marks new territory for Lexus and the luxury segment, as it is the world’s first hybrid-only luxury model.

The car received EPA-estimated ratings of 35 mpg city and 34 mpg on the highway for a combined 35 mpg utilizing regular gasoline. The HS’ .27 drag coefficient and heavy use of spoilers and diffusers help overall efficiency.

As with most Lexus hybrid nameplates, the HS’ 250 moniker slightly exaggerates what’s actually under the hood. The HS 250h does with a 2.4L four-cylinder, rated at 147 horsepower. Combined with the electric motor, total output is 187 horsepower. Although most high-tech engines require high-test gasoline, the HS 250h is fully capable of running on 87 octane.

Also keeping with the green theme, 30 percent of the HS’ materials are derived from plant-based materials, with 85 percent of the car being fully recyclable – including the batteries.

Not to forget the luxury part of its green title, the HS comes packed to the gills with plenty of luxury amenities, including LED taillights, a heads up display, power seats and Lexus’ new Enform telematics. Optional equipment includes satellite navigation with traffic, stocks, sports and weather updates and LED headlights. One cool feature of the HS’ navigation system is that it lets you upload destinations from any internet-enable device, ensuring you don’t miss any tourist spots on you next road trip.
Yeah looks aside, its a worlds first hybrid only luxury car. It also beats any luxury vehicle overall in regards to MPG. This offers substantially higher ratings than offering only a 4 cylinder car.

Old 07-21-09, 09:34 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Yeah looks aside, its a worlds first hybrid only luxury car. It also beats any luxury vehicle overall in regards to MPG. This offers substantially higher ratings than offering only a 4 cylinder car.
using the exact powertrain from the Camry right..? smart move to keep development costs down.

I know some people dislike re-badges...but personally I'd rather have seen a re-badged Prius with slightly revised body panels.....isn't the HS250 approximately the same size as the ES/IS or am I way off here?

Last edited by bagwell; 07-21-09 at 09:37 AM.
Old 07-21-09, 09:35 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by bagwell
using the exact powertrain from the Camry right..? smart move to keep development costs down.
MP and some other guys can explain better than me but it uses the older 2.4 and not the newer 2.5. Not sure why yet. Maybe for a MMC update?

Old 07-21-09, 09:48 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes it's 90% the same powertrain as the Camry Hybrid, it just happens to have the same Atkinson cycle feature as the RXh.

I could harp on and on about how the old 2.4L is 100% inferior to the brand new 2.5L I4 and how that should have been used with the hybrid system but alas, I digress

You can search the "official HS 250h thread" if you want my opinions on that
Old 07-21-09, 10:26 AM
FinalBurst
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

And the LX and LC are not rebadges, hell the interiors are totally different. My example is of new vehicles, not older ones.

Please try again.
I'm sorry, I forgot, it was up to the 570 that the LX was merely a rebadge. Now it's even slightly more gussied up! You claimed that Acura isn't a tier 1 luxury brand because they rebadge products, a process that Lexus did for years, and until the new GX comes out, still do, then you can't say that Lexus is a tier 1 luxury brand.
Look at Audi. The VW Touareg, Audi Q7, and Porsche Cayenne are all built on the same platform (Well, the Touareg and Cayenne, while the Q7 uses a derivative of the platform), yet not only do they not resemble each other, each is a vastly different beast. That is platform sharing done right, something that Lexus, Acura, and Infiniti can all stand to learn from.
I don't like rebadging. It's insulting and a practice that I hope is soon ceased, especially from the luxury brands.
Old 07-21-09, 02:33 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by FinalBurst
I'm sorry, I forgot, it was up to the 570 that the LX was merely a rebadge. Now it's even slightly more gussied up! You claimed that Acura isn't a tier 1 luxury brand because they rebadge products, a process that Lexus did for years, and until the new GX comes out, still do, then you can't say that Lexus is a tier 1 luxury brand.
Look at Audi. The VW Touareg, Audi Q7, and Porsche Cayenne are all built on the same platform (Well, the Touareg and Cayenne, while the Q7 uses a derivative of the platform), yet not only do they not resemble each other, each is a vastly different beast. That is platform sharing done right, something that Lexus, Acura, and Infiniti can all stand to learn from.
I don't like rebadging. It's insulting and a practice that I hope is soon ceased, especially from the luxury brands.
The bottom line is the most expensive Acura is CHEAPER than the most expensive Toyota.

Its amazing you make a pass for the Tourag, Cayenne and Q7 but all of the sudden the LX is not in that mix.

You do realize its not ME that thinks Lexus is Tier 1. Its INDUSTRY KNOWLEDGE. Everyone knows Lexus is Tier 1.

Stop bunching Lexus with Infiniti and Acura
. Lexus is 10 steps ahead.

The difference is the HS "looks" like a Corolla and Acura IS a Civic.

Last edited by LexFather; 07-21-09 at 04:07 PM.

Old 07-21-09, 03:23 PM
Diemellz
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

not my type of car, but i see where lexus is going with it, "money wise" as far as looks, i saw 1, looks just like an corolla, but it stands higher, lexus failed bad on the design, they should of rebadge the Venza, they still to this day CANNOT separate from toyota, im not gonna go on about the camry vs LS...smfh
Old 07-21-09, 05:57 PM
FinalBurst
Driver

The bottom line is the most expensive Acura is CHEAPER than the most expensive Toyota.

Its amazing you make a pass for the Tourag, Cayenne and Q7 but all of the sudden the LX is not in that mix.

You do realize its not ME that thinks Lexus is Tier 1. Its INDUSTRY KNOWLEDGE. Everyone knows Lexus is Tier 1.

Stop bunching Lexus with Infiniti and Acura
. Lexus is 10 steps ahead.

The difference is the HS "looks" like a Corolla and Acura IS a Civic.
There's a reason that I make a pass for the Touareg, Cayenne, and Q7. They are examples that platform sharing can create vastly different, from looks to driving characteristics, automobiles. As someone who has a passionate hatred for badge engineering, in that case, I have little problem with it. Lexus does it exceptionally well (at least in my opinion) with the Camry and the ES (Current generation). The hilarity is that I see more Camry in the LS then the ES.

Lexus is the furthest ahead of all of the Japanese brands, I've never said otherwise. Acura and Infiniti's attempt to push upward were damaged by the economic downturn. But they still have a ways to go before I'm 'bunching' them with Mercedes, Audi, and BMW. There are many segments that Lexus simply does not compete in yet, and until they address their problems with the European market, they've got a lot of work to do.

Last edited by FinalBurst; 07-21-09 at 06:09 PM.
Old 07-21-09, 06:23 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by FinalBurst
There's a reason that I make a pass for the Touareg, Cayenne, and Q7. They are examples that platform sharing can create vastly different, from looks to driving characteristics, automobiles. As someone who has a passionate hatred for badge engineering, in that case, I have little problem with it. Lexus does it exceptionally well (at least in my opinion) with the Camry and the ES (Current generation). The hilarity is that I see more Camry in the LS then the ES.

Lexus is the furthest ahead of all of the Japanese brands, I've never said otherwise. Acura and Infiniti's attempt to push upward were damaged by the economic downturn. But they still have a ways to go before I'm 'bunching' them with Mercedes, Audi, and BMW. There are many segments that Lexus simply does not compete in yet, and until they address their problems with the European market, they've got a lot of work to do.
All 12 of your posts are pro Honda......The Economic downturn is a COP OUT to Acura/Infiniti. If the economy was great they STILL wound be 10 steps behind. You sound like their executives feeding fanbois excuses.

Now the Camry looks like the LS and ES. You also think the TSX and G37 looks better than the IS.

You don't have to bunch LExus with AUdi/BMW/Benz. Experts and every single magazine does. You can go against common knowledge all you want.

You want hilarity. ANY Acura design. They are monstrosities. Period, end of story.

Now lets us both get back to the HS as this has strayed far enough.

Old 07-21-09, 07:30 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

You want hilarity. ANY Acura design. They are monstrosities. Period, end of story.
I dunno...I think the Acura TL is bold enough to turn heads. At least the interiors of Acuras are well done and don't need to be taken apart...

But the attached pic of the GS looks awesome. I am not sure if that is NA front look or middle east look

Old 07-21-09, 07:54 PM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by pagemaster
I dunno...I think the Acura TL is bold enough to turn heads.
This turns head too...

Just not in a good way...
Old 07-21-09, 08:13 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by ffpowerLN
This turns head too...

Just not in a good way...
lol......seriously...physcodoc is over there starting threads "hey I got a compliment"..

You know your car is ugly when u have to start threads where u are shocked someone likes it. I just don't understand that rational of buying something ugly then trying to justify it to others.

Though the HS is no beauty either but its not like "hey look at me, I really wanted a BMW" ugly.

Old 07-21-09, 10:02 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Not quite like the statements like "car only looks good with a drop and custom wheels" about other ugly cars.

Sooner or later somebody will make an attractive super efficient hybrid, which will require a change in corporate thinking. One unfortunate trend with the successful and efficient Prius is the ugly me-too styling exercises that followed.
Old 07-22-09, 09:32 AM
wmb0000
Pole Position

Like it or not Acura is going with the same commonality of the grill on all their cars. Eventhough the new grill is greatly controversy to many, but now when people look they know it's an Acura. Similarly to Audi when you look at their car you can't mistake it's for another brand. BMW have all similar grill them across the board with their cars and etc. Maybe this is what Acura want to do. Just my opinion. I am sure there are people out there who likes the grill or else Acura wouldn't sell any.
Old 07-22-09, 12:30 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by wmb0000
Like it or not Acura is going with the same commonality of the grill on all their cars. Eventhough the new grill is greatly controversy to many, but now when people look they know it's an Acura. Similarly to Audi when you look at their car you can't mistake it's for another brand. BMW have all similar grill them across the board with their cars and etc. Maybe this is what Acura want to do. Just my opinion. I am sure there are people out there who likes the grill or else Acura wouldn't sell any.
i am not denying their intention, for sure when people see that new grille they know it's acura. however it's all for negative reasons though. people see mb, audi, bmw grilles and they say "oh it's mb, audi, bmw", but pretty much everyone i know when they see the new acura, they go "eww look at that acura"

it's not the right direction i guess

Quick Reply: Hs250