Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Hs250

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-09, 12:37 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

So...

About the HS250h...

Old 07-22-09, 12:44 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wmb0000
Just my opinion. I am sure there are people out there who likes the grill or else Acura wouldn't sell any.
IMO, I'm sure there are people that buy Acuras despite the ugly grill.

btw, speaking of lame grill wars, remember when Jeep sued Hummer over grill design, they lost.
Old 07-22-09, 12:58 PM
RX300-BV
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I believe 35 MPG city/34 MPG highway.
That's my main problem with the HS. Where Lexus is trumpeting the HS as the first full luxury hybrid, how hard would it be for Ford to make a Lincoln MKZ hybrid (based off of the excellent 2010 Fusion Hybrid)? With minimal effort, Lincoln would have a "luxury hybrid" that outclassed the HS in size as well as fuel-efficiency and it would have its share of technology with the smartgauge and SYNC. A hybrid MKZ would come in higher in price than the HS.

Like MPLexus301, I think Toyota should have used the better 2.5 I4 engine in the HS. At the least, IMO, the HS should deliver 40+ MPG City. I just don't think Lexus set the bar high enough with the HS performance numbers.
Old 07-22-09, 12:59 PM
LexFather

As Phil stated, lets get back to the HS please. We have enough ugly ACura threads right now....

HS comments now welcome!!

Old 07-22-09, 01:01 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by RX300-BV
That's my main problem with the HS. Where Lexus is trumpeting the HS as the first full luxury hybrid, how hard would it be for Ford to make a Lincoln MKZ hybrid (based off of the excellent 2010 Fusion Hybrid)? With minimal effort, Lincoln would have a "luxury hybrid" that outclassed the HS in size as well as fuel-efficiency and it would have its share of technology with the smartgauge and SYNC. A hybrid MKZ would come in higher in pice than the HS.

Like MPLexus301, I think Toyota should have used the better 2.5 I4 engine in the HS. At the least, IMO, the HS should deliver 40+ MPG City. I just don't think Lexus set the bar high enough with the HS performance numbers.
No argument from me for the most part. Though the MKZ starts at 35k so a hybrid will probably cost 40k or so.
Spy pics of the possible Lincoln Hybrid.
http://jalopnik.com/392654/2009-lincoln-mkz-hybrid

Old 07-22-09, 01:10 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

agreed that gas mileage is not that impressive. the new Ford fusion hybrid trumps the camry and HS in the hybrid technology
Old 07-22-09, 01:19 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by RX300-BV
how hard would it be for Ford to make a Lincoln MKZ hybrid (based off of the excellent 2010 Fusion Hybrid)? With minimal effort, Lincoln would have a "luxury hybrid" that outclassed the HS in size as well as fuel-efficiency and it would have its share of technology with the smartgauge and SYNC.
Definitely. I mentioned that in my Ford Fusion Hybrid review several weeks ago.

A hybrid MKZ would come in higher in price than the HS.
Probably...we don't know that for sure.

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX

As Phil stated, lets get back to the HS please.

HS comments now welcome!
I'll save many of my detailed HS250 comments for my review (it still is not available in my area) but, right off the bat, despite its smaller size, it looks like fairly good competition for a possible Lincoln MKZ hybrid, though an ES Hybrid would probably be a better one.
Old 07-22-09, 01:25 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by RXSF
agreed that gas mileage is not that impressive. the new Ford fusion hybrid trumps the camry and HS in the hybrid technology
And it SHOULD it is the newer vehicle. The HS is a luxury vehicle.
Originally Posted by mmarshall
Definitely. I mentioned that in my Ford Fusion Hybrid review several weeks ago.

Probably...we don't know that for sure.

I'll save many of my detailed HS250 comments for my review (it still is not available in my area) but, right off the bat, despite its smaller size, it looks like fairly good competition for a possible Lincoln MKZ hybrid, though an ES Hybrid would probably be a better one.
Hybrid tech continues to get better. Amazing how the RX 450h gets 30MPG! Ford has a homerun with the Fusion.

Old 07-22-09, 01:41 PM
IntegresS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I honestly never liked the style of this car to begin with- I do see the ways in which it looks a tad like the Corolla body, but with that said, I see a lot of Toyota design cues in Lexus vehicles (or vice versa). I guess it’s to be somewhat expected, but I wish there were more of a distinct difference in the design of Toyota & Lexus vehicles.

However, I’m sure the car will sell just fine—it’s just not my cup of tea hehe I think I'd get bored with it.

And that grill was the first thing that turned me away

Old 07-22-09, 01:51 PM
RXSF

so why does the RX with 290 horsepower and all that weight get only 5 mpg lower than the HS which has more than a 100 hp deficit? it has got to be the inefficient 4 banger
Old 07-22-09, 01:57 PM
ExTrEmE99
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by IntegresS
With that photo, i think they shouldve made the car sit a tad lower and made the car wider. It would make it look less like a corolla and really, when i see luxury cars they are not as narrow as the HS looks in that photo.
Old 07-22-09, 02:10 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ExTrEmE99
With that photo, i think they shouldve made the car sit a tad lower and made the car wider. It would make it look less like a corolla and really, when i see luxury cars they are not as narrow as the HS looks in that photo.
Yes, but that's the generic dorqy hybrid look that Toyota/Lexus/Honda seem to think is necessary with the super-efficient hybrids, even in the case of the HS being a more luxurious version.
Old 07-22-09, 02:25 PM
IntegresS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ExTrEmE99
Wider and lower would be a nice change on most of the Toyota/Lexus/Scion model lineup

at this angle, it wasn't so bad

but then I moved over a tad and was disappointed hehe

and while I'm at it, I'll just throw this other picture in-- OoOO a closeup of the tire

Old 07-22-09, 02:44 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by IntegresS
and while I'm at it, I'll just throw this other picture in-- OoOO a closeup of the tire

That's too low a profile for a car of this type. Lexus would be wise to make 45's a option, with 55 or 60s standard.
Old 07-22-09, 02:46 PM
RXSF

is there a reason lexus doesnt put perforations into the brake discs or use ventilated discs on all their models besides cost saving?

Quick Reply: Hs250