Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Hs250

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-09, 03:54 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by flipside909
I'll have a better photo of the HS next to my IS F later on. The HS is a lot taller and longer than my IS F. The HS in size fits between the IS and the ES.

What you see in pics are a bit deceiving. Have you ever been in an HS before?

Most of us are aware of the dimensions in inches, it's more the proportioning (tall profile, narrow track, tall side windows, long overhangs) that are not real attractive.

IMHO, the best way to judge car styling is in person. I plan to see one tonight when I pickup my Lexus from service.
Old 07-23-09, 04:41 PM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by IS-SV
IMHO, the best way to judge car styling is in person. I plan to see one tonight when I pickup my Lexus from service.
Don't think the HS is on sale yet but here's the exterior dimention:

Model __ Length __ Width __ Height
==============================
HS250h __ 184.8 in __ 70.3 in __ 59.3 in
IS2/350 __ 180.3 in __ 70.9 in __ 56.1 in
ES350 __ 191.1 in __ 71.7 in __ 57.1 in

Let's also not forget that the 2IS is RWD and HS250h is FWD, usually a FWD drive should have more interior space than a same-sized RWD car due to the mechanical limitations. Also the 2IS is designed to be sporty with the low roof and long hood so interior space was sacrificed. However that's not the case with the HS250h especially with the front extended A pillar, it's very clear that one of the goals is to maximize interior space.
Old 07-23-09, 05:04 PM
RXSF
Forum Moderator

Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

at least it doesnt look like the awkwardly tall Nissan Versa.
Old 07-23-09, 06:18 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ffpowerLN
Don't think the HS is on sale yet but here's the exterior dimention:

Model __ Length __ Width __ Height
==============================
HS250h __ 184.8 in __ 70.3 in __ 59.3 in
IS2/350 __ 180.3 in __ 70.9 in __ 56.1 in
ES350 __ 191.1 in __ 71.7 in __ 57.1 in

Let's also not forget that the 2IS is RWD and HS250h is FWD, usually a FWD drive should have more interior space than a same-sized RWD car due to the mechanical limitations. Also the 2IS is designed to be sporty with the low roof and long hood so interior space was sacrificed. However that's not the case with the HS250h especially with the front extended A pillar, it's very clear that one of the goals is to maximize interior space.
Haven't forgotten the RWD vs FWD, most if not all here are aware.

I saw it today and sat in at Fremont Lexus. It's ugly with a large comfortable interior and roomy trunk. The floating console thing, mini van extra front windows and fade away hood (non-visible from drivers seat) are not pleasant from the drivers seat. But I agree, the intended buyer is completely different than a sports sedan buyer, so the car should be different, should be a successful car in this niche.
Old 07-24-09, 06:07 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Haven't forgotten the RWD vs FWD, most if not all here are aware.

I saw it today and sat in at Fremont Lexus. It's ugly with a large comfortable interior and roomy trunk. The floating console thing, mini van extra front windows and fade away hood (non-visible from drivers seat) are not pleasant from the drivers seat. But I agree, the intended buyer is completely different than a sports sedan buyer, so the car should be different, should be a successful car in this niche.
I agree, Lexus might have pull another rabbit out of their hat with the HS, just like the IS-C, there is nothing special about these cars on paper, but somehow they are selling well. This must frustrate the other car manufacturer quite a bit, they are probably scratching their head trying to figure out how Lexus does it.
Old 07-24-09, 09:11 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by The G Man
I agree, Lexus might have pull another rabbit out of their hat with the HS, just like the IS-C, there is nothing special about these cars on paper, but somehow they are selling well. This must frustrate the other car manufacturer quite a bit, they are probably scratching their head trying to figure out how Lexus does it.
Maybe b/c they are something special
HS is the worlds first luxury hybrid only car. Yeah thats not special
IS-C has the fastest folding top in class and the most trunk space while accelerating best in class with the 335. Yeah thats not special.

Seems to me other car makers need to make something "special"

Old 07-24-09, 09:29 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

I agree that the HS is hitting it's intended mark (which is not the sports sedan enthusiast type).

Lexus has created the first luxury high-efficiency hybrid, certainly an upgrade over alternatives.

Currently all the high-efficiency hybrids are narrow, tall, oddly proportioned which is all part of the image the buyers of these vehicle accept or maybe demand. The HS having some of those characteristics is still the most conventional (3 box sedan), largest, plush and expensive (upmarket/premium).

A positive addition to product line that will expand Lexus market.
Old 07-24-09, 10:13 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Lexus has created the first luxury high-efficiency hybrid, certainly an upgrade over alternatives.
Thats exactly what I am talking about, who would have thought of a producing a 40 thousand dollar luxury economy car. If the HS succeeds, Lexus would have indeed pull another rabbit out of their hat. They will open up a whole new segment in the auto industry much like they did with the crossover years ago.
Old 07-24-09, 10:50 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Thats exactly what I am talking about, who would have thought of a producing a 40 thousand dollar luxury economy car. If the HS succeeds, Lexus would have indeed pull another rabbit out of their hat. They will open up a whole new segment in the auto industry much like they did with the crossover years ago.
It is pretty slick, because Lexus knows that hybrid buyers seeking fuel efficiency and clean emissions in a luxurious car will rarely be poor people. The reality is that their spending on gasoline will probably be +/- 1% of their gross household income.
Old 07-24-09, 11:22 AM
LexFather

Audi/BMW/Benz have had luxury "economy" cars for decades with all their diesels in Europe.....the difference here is this is a hybrid

Old 07-24-09, 11:27 AM
RXSF
Forum Moderator

Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

the question is who DIDN'T think this was a good idea. Look how good the prius turned out for toyota. celebrities and the rich even bought it just to look environmentally cool. Im guessing they would have bought a lexus version if it was available.
Old 07-24-09, 12:20 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

It is pretty slick, because Lexus knows that hybrid buyers seeking fuel efficiency and clean emissions in a luxurious car will rarely be poor people. The reality is that their spending on gasoline will probably be +/- 1% of their gross household income.
Not only that, they also know that the gas savings will never offset the extra cost of the hybrid.

I guess thats the new thing, instead of showing off your car with so many horespower, the in thing to do is brag about your gas mileage, I must be getting old
Old 07-24-09, 12:59 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Not only that, they also know that the gas savings will never offset the extra cost of the hybrid.

I guess thats the new thing, instead of showing off your car with so many horespower, the in thing to do is brag about your gas mileage, I must be getting old
Bingo, around here there's a lot of that, whatever turns them on, as long as they don't clog the fast lane.

Now they can enjoy the luxury of a Lexus too.
Old 07-24-09, 02:36 PM
ViniZaoD
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Audi/BMW/Benz have had luxury "economy" cars for decades with all their diesels in Europe.....the difference here is this is a hybrid
the problem is while diesels are economical the noise and harshness puts off most people
Old 07-24-09, 02:54 PM
primecut
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The pictures are definitely deceiving! I initially thought that it was a luxury version of the prius, but I was totally wrong. I think the styling is a bit conservative for a luxury car, but it fits the RX/ES demographic perfectly. It is also in an excellent position because it has no direct competitors, meaning that it could entice the potential C300/328i buyers, since MB/BMW has no similar offering (Except for the 335 diesel which is more expensive.)

Quick Reply: Hs250